Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 124

User Info Menu

Excuse the edits, please -

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post

Desmond and Hall. Glad to be Unhappy
    I have this and think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    "Ellis in Wonderland" by Herd Ellis and a stellar cast.

And this too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good thread! Some unknowns to me here.

User Info Menu

I would say either The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow or that one for its rawness, despite the lo fi quality.

User Info Menu

Kind of Blue Miles Davis and his fabulous All Star Band!

User Info Menu

Saxophone Colossus

User Info Menu

Yea, I already listed an album, but since the sax is so related to that jazz sound, I had to include an album with Dexter Gordon.

This one is Something Different; It is 'different' because Gordon decided to replace the piano with guitar (Gordon has over 20 quartet albums with piano). A young Philip Catherine is the guitar player. He uses effects which allows him to get some fat sounds that really make his comping shine. Gordon,,,well, is fantastic.

User Info Menu

The incredible jazz guitar of Wes Montgomery.

User Info Menu

I gave my answer above but I would never have got to that album but for these two, which rank high among my favorites:

User Info Menu

I gave my answer above but I would never have got to that album but for these two, which rank high among my favorites:

I've a copy of the first, but as ridiculous as it might seem for someone who professes an interest in this music, I still haven't heard Smokin' at the Half Note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    The incredible jazz guitar of Wes Montgomery.
    Yea, ask me tomorrow and I'll likely say the same thing;

I.e. When it comes to jazz guitar albums, and my favorite,,,, depending on my mood,,, I'll flop between Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney Live in Tokyo and this one by Wes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    ..... I still haven't heard Smokin' at the Half Note.
    ........Man, you are in for a treat! But I sure wouldn't go without it for a whole lot longer ! I mean, can there be a good enough reason ?

I sure don't think so.

User Info Menu

My first number 1 favorite jazz album :

Gary Burton Quartet - Country Roads & Other Places (1969, Vinyl) | Discogs

....Is it the best ?? Probably not.....

But this one got me started.....in a lot of things !!

And since day one GB has never disappointed !

Just plain grateful .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    ........Man, you are in for a treat! But I sure wouldn't go without it for a whole lot longer ! I mean, can there be a good enough reason ?

I sure don't think so.

I've now a CD copy in my eBay basket. I'll give it until about midnight to see if I want to add anything else before I hit 'Buy'.

User Info Menu

I've now a CD copy in my eBay basket. I'll give it until about midnight to see if I want to add anything else before I hit 'Buy'.

I'd plan an evening around that - the first listen !

Good going !

User Info Menu

I'd plan an evening around that - the first listen !

Good going !
    Yeah, when it's something unheard by me - especially works considered classics - I make time to have a dedicated and uninterrupted listen.

And thanks!

User Info Menu

Yes, I amend my choice. Best: Kind of Blue. Favorite: CC's album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    Yea, ask me tomorrow and I'll likely say the same thing;

I.e. When it comes to jazz guitar albums, and my favorite,,,, depending on my mood,,, I'll flop between Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney Live in Tokyo and this one by Wes.
    Ask me tomorrow and I might say "The Intercontinental Joe Pass".

User Info Menu

I would select Tubo Bem; Joe goes Latin, and I find this to be his most melodic playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    But if you had to choose just 1 and it was all you could listen to for the rest of your life, surely you could choose?
    hah..can't do it...

i'm...

cheers

User Info Menu

I like that one too. If I've a favourite it's the first of the Virtuoso albums he recorded, although I know the sound quality of it puts a lot of people off from the outset.
    I also like his 'Plays Charlie Parker' and 'Ira, George and Joe' - even the 12 string stuff - and also 'Blues for Fred'. But sure, Intercontinental is a great one.

User Info Menu

......maybe put this with it :

Wes Montgomery - Full House (1962, Vinyl) | Discogs

User Info Menu

Sure, that's a really cool choice, and I already have it.
    I came into jazz guitar records/CDs/whatever from a weird angle, because no one I knew really listened to that stuff. Then I was gifted an old copy of the '20th Anniversary Guitar Player Magazine' and inside was their top 20 jazz (and blues and country and rock etc) records and that served as my initial collector/listening guide. Then, it all changed when we got a Tower Records store in town. I don't know what age group you're in, but for my friends and I it was the first time we could easily buy music by the likes of Jim Hall or Herb Ellis, or outside of purely guitar orientated stuff, Jimmy Giuffre or Lennie Tristano. Great times, weekend listening sessions etc. What a pleasure.

User Info Menu

E.S.P. probably

User Info Menu

SMOKIN AT THE HALF NOTE BY KING WES!!!!!! Is there a good BIO on Wes?