The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

The title of this discussion says everything. If they don't make money, you won't have live music. Generally, club/bar owners couldn't care less about music/musicians which is why I play upscale restaurants/bistros,hotels, and weddings where money is, generally,not an issue. God, I'm glad I don't play clubs anymore! Good playing . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I was drinking this awesome stuff the other night at the club, $4 a bottle, they said it was water, what a novelty. They even had this stuff called coffee....
    I've seen kids all cranked up on coffee.

User Info Menu

Give up all hope. Move to California and drink leftover wine from a dumpster.

User Info Menu

Buy a couple of rounds for the band or leave some money behind the jump for indigent musos who are passing through.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Fun fact: we don’t tip in New Zealand.
    With tip culture, Americans clinging to their own social class and other issues, it's a miracle there's any live music at all in the US.

User Info Menu

Ha, ha. Nothing like a little forum humor to start the morning.

I have to note that, as some of you have said, the club owners often make a larger profit margin on non-alcoholic drinks. So to be honest, that removes any concerns that I had.

And, like Marinero and Stevebol said, at least for me, its about the musicians, although a couple of the clubs I go to have owners who are passionate about music and call me naive, I think they really do care.

The Balcony Club has a room with individual caricatures of dozens of their regular performers, both past and present. Ownership changed hands last year, but I think the new owners are just as passionate - I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

What I did when I wasn't drinking and still went into Bars/Clubs I would drink sodas or coffie and each time I ordered a drink I would tip $5, I bet they didn't get many $5 tippers for one drink from the other patrons. Now you might ask how does this help the owner, well the more I would tip means less the bar tender will over pour to get the tips from the Drinkers which saves the owner money. Some times I would Tip $20 at the end of the night so I would spend close to $60 in tips.

User Info Menu

I order club soda with lime. Sometimes, coffee. Good tip for the waitstaff.

Never had a problem.

User Info Menu

How different the times can be: In Montparnasse's heyday (from 1910 to 1920), many cafes - some are still in business - were the places where starving artists could occupy a table all evening for a few centimes. If they fell asleep, the waiters were instructed not to awake them.
    That's the way you can attract crowds of artists and patrons, not requiring from the latter to consume at least two drinks per set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    The title of this discussion says everything. If they don't make money, you won't have live music. Generally, club/bar owners couldn't care less about music/musicians which is why I play upscale restaurants/bistros,hotels, and weddings where money is, generally,not an issue. God, I'm glad I don't play clubs anymore! Good playing . . . Marinero
    I only miss a couple places in the US. I got $25 a gig in San Diego in the mid-80's. That's about $60 today. Strangely, beach clubs doing rock was OK in Buffalo. It was like a blur. Packed dance floor, everyone with a pitcher of beer and loud. All of a sudden the night is over...
    $250 a week in a Osaka pimp house...
    You know how that goes.
    Random other stuff here and there. I miss some of it.

Fascism is hip so clubs can just hire DJ. I don't care about making noise with my guitar in some bar anymore.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 06-20-2020 at 08:09 AM.