The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

With music clubs opening up again, I am wanting to get out and listen to more live Jazz and such. The places I like most are rather small, intimate locales and they depend a lot on revenue from selling alcohol.

I am a one drink type of guy, or I may not drink at all. All night in these clubs, I hear "Drink up!" "Tip well" etc...

The only solution I can come up with is to buy non-alcoholic drinks, if they indeed have them. Other than that, I am a butt taking up a seat, and not slamming the drinks like I used to, and like they want me too. I do tip the bands at least 10 bucks wherever I go.
    Any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    With music clubs opening up again, I am wanting to get out and listen to more live Jazz and such. The places I like most are rather small, intimate locales and they depend a lot on revenue from selling alcohol.

I am a one drink type of guy, or I may not drink at all. All night in these clubs, I hear "Drink up!" "Tip well" etc...

The only solution I can come up with is to buy non-alcoholic drinks, if they indeed have them. Other than that, I am a butt taking up a seat, and not slamming the drinks like I used to, and like they want me too. I do tip the bands at least 10 bucks wherever I go.
    Any suggestions?
    Sounds like you're contributing nicely to me. It frequently seems to me that musicians that go to clubs or that sit in don't contribute enough.

User Info Menu

Thinking it through a bit further, it is more my problem of feeling like I am not going with the flow. I see folks all around me at this one really great club, their glasses pile up and the waitress makes many trips to their table

Me, I have my one little drink that I am sipping on throughout the night (although I do buy drinks for others).

I do think I may have answered my own question. I will just try and order a couple of non-alcoholic drinks, too, and tip the waitress. But, that normally means sodas - and I gave up sodas after years of tearing up my insides with that carbolic acid. Oh, the angst!

User Info Menu

Buy your one $10 drink and give the waitress a $20. Tell her to keep the change. Nurse your drink, she's happy, tip the band. The bar owner will probably survive even if you don't kill your liver.

User Info Menu

It is not unusual for a club to have a 2-3 drink minimum, so just spend money, whether alcoholic drink or not, and tip folks per usual.

User Info Menu

Buy coca-cola or pepsi soft drinks and/or orange juice or milk (milk is pretty rare in bars). Buy several over the course of the night, and tip the staff heavily. The markup on soft drinks is pretty high, so the bar will possibly make as much money as they would if you just bought a couple of beers. Buy the drinks whether you drink them or not.

User Info Menu

Or bring a date who drinks!

User Info Menu

Yes, date a lush.

User Info Menu

The sad fact is that many bars make a good share of their profits from people who drink too much. Just because someone else drinks 8 pints of beer in one sitting is no indication that you need to match them. Try some fancy bottled waters if they have them or in house made iced tea. I'm with you on avoiding sodas.

User Info Menu

That is a dilemma for sure. Maybe have one of these and think about it.

How Do I Handle This Slight Dilemma - Non Drinker in a Club that Needs Revenue-zrx0m2jweoqdz2ydcrpg-jpg

User Info Menu

Just tell them that you're allergic to alcohol.

User Info Menu

Drink whatever non-alcoholic drink you like, tip the waitstaff generously, tip the band. Tip the club owner, if you think that will help (it will). Enjoy yourself in a sober and guilt-free way. Life is too short for self-inflicted guilt trips.

User Info Menu

If you can stand the things, buy a nonalcoholic beer. Clausthaler dry hopped is about the best (of a bad lot) that I have found. Or an Arnold Palmer. I used to drink a club soda with a twist of lime back when I was gigging because even one beer impairs my guitar playing skills. And quite frankly I can't afford to lose any skills on a gig, I am barely keeping up at the best of times. If they charge you $2-3 for one of those, their cost into it is probably about $.10 so they may make more profit off of that than from selling you a beer.

User Info Menu

What great responses!

Thanks! I don't go out to eat or clubs unless I have enough to give a decent tip to the band and bartender or waitress.

I will go with the non-alcoholic stuff, tell the waitress I am not much of a drinker and give her a big tip! They normally take care of me when I have done that in the past, making sure I have plenty of water.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I will buy food if they have it, and tell them I don't drink, but I really want to listen to the music. When they bring the bill for the food I leave a good tip and keep hanging around, maybe nursing a soft drink or iced tea as long as possible.

User Info Menu

Fun fact: we don’t tip in New Zealand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Fun fact: we don’t tip in New Zealand.

User Info Menu

I will sometimes buy non-alcoholic beer and food, I like the Clausthaler Amber. I feel good that I generally bring other people with me to the bar.

User Info Menu

This why there use to be a cover charge to pay for the entertainment. But people in many cities don t like the idea of a cover charge unless it's a national act. Then you buy a ticket!

So to get around this problem bars just increased their drink prices. But cities have also levied taxes on alcohol sales to help pay for their Pro Sports Stadiums. And the tax which is suppose to be for only so many years, never gets rescinded and raised further! Its a no win situation for local entertainment, and now since Iphone and Youtubers competeing as well, forget about it!

Well you can always watch or download the band or entertainers free video,lol!

User Info Menu

Take me with you

User Info Menu

Order "soda with a twist and a dash of bitters." Pay and tip as if it were an alcohol-based drink. And it looks like one too, for that going-with-the-flow effect.

User Info Menu

I don't drink anymore because of health issues so when I go out I will just order a non-alcoholic beverage or two and many places charge almost as much as if it had alcohol but I don't care it keeps the place open. I discovered if the place has food and you order the beverage with the food, then they charge you less for a non-alcoholic beverage than if I order from the bar. I guess price of food makes up for the minimum they want. Then tip the waitress or barmaid so everyone is happy.

User Info Menu

if its a full service bar..they have orange juice and other fruit juice to make mixed drinks..

I just go for club soda/spring water and slice of lemon or lime..

have not been able to drink cola sodas for many years..(anything that can remove paint !)

having worked in restaurants I over tip the servers...

User Info Menu

Lots of places have great non alcohol cocktails if into that..

User Info Menu

I was drinking this awesome stuff the other night at the club, $4 a bottle, they said it was water, what a novelty. They even had this stuff called coffee....