Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 219

User Info Menu

I'm an ironing board cover salesman.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    But it does share the common thing as well I can't stand about the business. Wannabes and Posers who are I interested in being famous or at least latching on to that aspect of the business.

That has really become the predominant aspect of music nowadays due to YouTube self promotion and getting advertisers.
    It use to be you only had sleazy booking agents ,club owners, and record A& R types to contend with. Along with the guitarists out to steal your gig,lol!

Tal 175 your afraid to say what you do for a living ? I'm not insulting other occupation at all. And as Ive repeatedly stated I'm no authority on other occupations except for eating Pizza,Lol!

And again I've no condescension as far as amateurs. It's just when they pose as authorities on subjects they know enough to be dangerous!
    Oh the irony. Not one person but you are describing yourself as an authority, declaring every body else lowly amateurs and doing self promotion.
    People who aren't full time career musicians are just dishonest, dangerous posers if they form an opinion based on their experiences or want to get hired for a gig no matter how many years they been working on their craft. Right.
    But to be fair you did warn us that you were a narcissist
    Last edited by Tal_175; 06-10-2020 at 08:34 PM.

User Info Menu

This probably been a poor communication on my part. But dont you agree we all base our opinions on our experiences both positive and negative as well.
    And the more experience we have gives us more information to help base those on.

As a Pro in any business this is the person who,like them or not can give you an informed opinion . A person who hasn't the experience in any profession has limited knowledge on which to base their opinions

I say this because many spout off on subjects they don't have enough experience in to make informed and educated opinions on. Now wether we agree on taste style etc. That certainly is a personal choice.

User Info Menu

This probably been a poor communication on my part. But dont you agree we all base our opinions on our experiences both positive and negative as well.
    And the more experience we have gives us more information to help base those on.

As a Pro in any business this is the person who,like them or not can give you an informed opinion . A person who hasn't the experience in any profession has limited knowledge on which to base their opinions

I say this because many spout off on subjects they don't have enough experience in to make informed and educated opinions on. Now wether we agree on taste style etc. That certainly is a personal choice.
    I played the same circuit as the Beatles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I'm an ironing board cover salesman.
    At last, somebody who does something useful.

User Info Menu

I put tiny baseball caps on gerbils. They come off again very quickly which means I am constantly employed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I put tiny baseball caps on gerbils. They come off again very quickly which means I am constantly employed.
    Post-AI job creation scheme.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to." -- Elvis Presley

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Post-AI job creation scheme.
    People call it make-work, but let me ask, why would you not want gerbils to wear tiny baseball caps, eh? Answer me that!

User Info Menu

I would just like to point out that the "performers" jads57 is so pissed at don't give a single sh*t about his opinion of them, nor can he shame them into measuring up to his standards, which would certainly lower their incomes. Said the blind man as he pissed into the wind "It's all coming back to me!"

User Info Menu

So my apologies to insulting all those here. But in my defense I've become the Cranky Old Man who yells "Get off of my Lawn!"

Hard to do a job for 45 years for low dough,etc. And then see it become nothing more than an AP or loop that people use as a basically a video game entertainment.
    But life isn't fair and people dont care how much work it takes to become a musician. But technology has always done that and now its our turn as professional musicians to be replaced and relegated to the past.

My dad was correct when he said music is a not great vocation but a hobby.

User Info Menu

People call it make-work, but let me ask, why would you not want gerbils to wear tiny baseball caps, eh? Answer me that!
    Musician or Performer(?) Rant-52c2f2fa-c2ac-4033-aa14-988a5e84f605-jpg

User Info Menu

So my apologies to insulting all those here. But in my defense I've become the Cranky Old Man who yells "Get off of my Lawn!"

Hard to do a job for 45 years for low dough,etc. And then see it become nothing more than an AP or loop that people use as a basically a video game entertainment.
    But life isn't fair and people dont care how much work it takes to become a musician. But technology has always done that and now its our turn as professional musicians to be replaced and relegated to the past.

My dad was correct when he said music is a not great vocation but a hobby.
    If that makes you feel better, I've actually put more time, effort and passion into my training as a musician than my occupation that pays the bills. Which partly contributed me never finishing my Phd

I've turned down lucrative career paths because I prioritize being able to focus on music over everything else. Music has ruined my life So don't assume that people who don't live on income from music are just short cutters and haven't put many years of hard work that required a lot of sacrifices.

Yeah OK I lied about my job earlier. I run a shower curtain ring repair business.

User Info Menu

I'm also a part time cockfight referee.

User Info Menu

Musician or Performer(?) Rant-52c2f2fa-c2ac-4033-aa14-988a5e84f605-jpg
    amateur hour. Inappropriate rodent headwear you see. With the right training you’d never make that mistake.

User Info Menu

And our members should know, Tal,
    There are no referees in a cockfight . . . and therein lies the humor! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    And our members should know, Tal,
    There are no referees in a cockfight . . . and therein lies the humor! Good playing . . . Marinero

Good call. I actually never watched a cockfight. I'm a sissy vegetarian.

User Info Menu

I think I (and everyone else) should know better than to weigh in on a post specifically labeled as a rant. By definition, you can't argue with it.

I'm an electrical engineer for a pharma company, to get that out of the way. That means I still have a job now, which sadly, many musicians and people who work at venues, don't.

It also means I don't have to do paying gigs and take money away from the musicians that DO need it. Did you ever see a movie called "The Gig" with Warren Vache'? It's about a bunch of amateurs who get a gig, only the bass player is a pro. Anyway, I don't play out much, but I've done just enough to be glad I didn't make it my life's work.

Thanks to a good public school music education and private teachers, I sight read well. So when i started playing guitar with a non-profit community big band, they were impressed I could read the charts. No big deal, I don't even practice them much.

Most of the local gigs around here are classic rock, singer-songwriter, blues, bluegrass. Nobody (almost) uses sheetmusic. The vast majority are not full-time pros, either.

Anyway, it's not the best musicians who get the gig, it's the musicians who are best at getting gigs!

User Info Menu

amateur hour. Inappropriate rodent headwear you see. With the right training you’d never make that mistake.
    At least the hats stay on my gerbils.

User Info Menu

So THAT'S why you hang around here so much...

User Info Menu

You. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

User Info Menu

"Anyway, it's not the best musicians who get the gig, it's the musicians who are best at getting gigs!" JGin

Unless you're famous or have a big following . . . no one drops a gig in your lap. I moved to a new area 1100 miles from my old home base for 38 years and do not have the gigs/following I had previously. I do strictly solo gigs and am rebuilding my customer base. This requires knocking on doors, talking to prospective venues and negotiating price and conditions---all of which take time and energy. And, I may find a prospective venue who is willing to hire me but they don't want to pay my base price--$75.00 per 45 minutes. So, I go to the next door. Eventually, if you put in the time, you'll get a fair paying gig. However, I'm a single act and I can't imagine how difficult it would be to find gigs with a trio/quartet, etc.and get paid fairly. Now, after the impact of CV, many venues have taken a big hit financially and won't spend the money until the crowds return. What a difference a day makes! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

And again I've no condescension as far as amateurs.
    You might want to fine-tune your delivery, then -- because you certainly come across this way.

It's just when they pose as authorities on subjects they know enough to be dangerous!
    You may be an authority on making a living playing smaller gigs (I didn't recognize one name you dropped, including your own), but that is, once again, asserted authority about the biz, not about music itself. Indeed, it seems you're unable to separate the two aspects in your thinking.

That sort of mistake really undercuts any statements you might make about artistry, because the business of music is not the art of music.

User Info Menu

Is this code for something?