User Info Menu

I hope there are some members here that can provide their personal experience/feedback. I've worn 100% Cotton pleated tuxedo shirts to my gigs ,forever, and need to replace one that is ready for the rag bag. Usually, at the end of two sets(my normal gig), the shirt is completely soaked with perspiration: Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. I've been told by non-musicians that a 60/40 Poly/Cotton shirt will wick moisture away from my body. I ,also, won't have to starch the shirt since it holds its shape and only requires a slight touch up with an iron. Anyone here worn these cotton blends and have an opinion? Good playing . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Polyester blends took over the world some time ago. They're lighter, wear better, and are more or less no-iron. The last pure cotton shirts I wore were Army khakis, about 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Polyester blends took over the world some time ago. They're lighter, wear better, and are more or less no-iron. The last pure cotton shirts I wore were Army khakis, about 40 years ago.

Hi, S,
    Thanks for your reply. This is certainly true but I'm not certain if polyester wicks moisture away from the body since it doesn't breathe. The problem with cotton is that it retains the moisture in the shirt. Some synthetics are capable of this although I don't think polyester is one of them.

Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Exercise clothing is generally polyester of some type, and there are different versions. Cotton works well for towels, as long as they aren't dried with dryer sheets, which make articles somewhat water-resistant. I hate using towels that have been through a dryer with those sheets, they just move the water around on my body instead of absorbing it. About all I can say is that shirts made of a polyester/cotton blend are far easier to find, and IME are more comfortable and last longer.

UPDATE: Well, I finally bought a new white, pleated, collarless 60/40 Tuxedo shirt($19.95) and 100% lightweight wool pants with adjustable waist($29.95). Both are of a very good quality and sell for much more on other sites. However, the pants needed to be professionally hemmed($18.00) There are some terrific deals online with some very reputable vendors. Well, now this virus insanity needs to end so we can all start performing again. I'll let you know how they hold up after a few months of playing. Good playing . . . Marinero

P.S. My Johnston and Murphy Black Hyde Park II Cap Toe shoes are still in perfect condition after 15 years.