The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Other than those two you have the only other Garcia LPs where he gets to play a lot are:
    Lenny Hambro-"A Message From Hambro"- Garcia sounds like Johnny Smith on this one, but more swinging.
    Joe Roland- "Vibraphone Players of Bethlehem Vol. 2"
    "The Fourmost Guitars"- Great duo with Puma.
    He gets a little space on Johnny Glasel's Jazz Session Lp. I have all the others you posted but the Roland Quintet lp I have on lp, I guess maybe you have a comp?
    btw the other guitarist on that Glasel record Perry Lopez is kind of a mystery too. We know he played w/ Goodman for awhile and he's playing rhythm guitar on the 10" Johnny Smith In A Mellow Mood. He was teaching @ Glassboro [now Rowand] College in south Jersey in the 80's as a couple of my friends studied w/him. I've only seen one picture of him, from a Gibson ad playing a custom single p.u. blonde L-5. No info I could find of him since but apparently still alive as is Garcia [and his ghost ]

The Gibson L5 - Adrian Ingram - Google Books

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The late, great Jimmie Giuffre is one of my favorite modern reed players with a large body of relevant clarinet work, always playing with the best...

Also, clarinet was Bill Frisell's first instrument.

User Info Menu

I did until I had to give it up 20 years ago due to health reasons.

Doubling on another instrument can be a good thing. Trumpeter Alan Rubin was a prolific studio musician. In his youth he turned down an offer to play in a symphony orchestra on a US tour with Paul Hindemith in order to play a number of gigs with Peggy Lee at the Village Vanguard. He was also known by collegues for his dry wit. He is mostly known as one of the band members, Mr. Fabulous, in the "Blues Brothers" film and he earned good sum of money from that role. Back at his normal job as a studio musician, he drove up at the studio in a Mercedes "Gull Wing" on which he had spent a part of his earnings from the film. The conductor of the date took note of the gorgeous car, and when he a little later met Rubin in the band up in the studio, he asked:

"How come you can afford a "Gull Wing"? You're just a trumpet player."

Rubin: "Yes, but you see, I double on fluegelhorn."

User Info Menu

Today, I got to the exercise in my 50 year old book where you slur up and down between registers, using the octave key. Okay going up, but coming down... very difficult. I think I might be on this page a while. I get there's a subtle change in embouchure needed, or at least that's the only way I can get the high note to slur to a low one. But I have absolutely no control over it. Still, very early days. :-)

User Info Menu

I started playing classical clarinet at age 6 in first grade. I played for 6 years and reached first chair in our district youth orchestra. Then, at 12, I caught the blues bug - Howling Wolf, Robert Parket, Son House, Muddy Waters, and others were my idols. So this 12-year-old pink boy hitched into inner-city West Philadelphia to a famous pawn shop where I traded my clarinet even-up for a Harmony Sovereign acoustic. That night, my father asked me where I got the guitar. "I traded my clarinet." Silence for a full minute. "You know," he responded, we didn't actually own the clarinet, we leased it from the school." There went a year of shoveling snow and cutting lawns to make up the cost. Since then (I'm now 72) I've spent my life paying off new instruments! I'm still paying off a custom acoustic that won't be ready for another 2 years - just time enough to finish paying for it.

The 6 years of clarinet taught me to be a skilled sight-reader of music (though I didn't learn to read chords until after I got the guitar). It was a great help in my 20s, when I was a studio guitarist and, whatever talent I had was enhanced because I was a fluent sheet music reader. I owe it all to that licorice stick.

User Info Menu

A fortnight in, and today was the first time that I've actually played along with the guitar and it sounded ok. Nothing complex, just a slow ii-V-I in Bb so the clarinet is in C The intonation (probably my breath control, rather than the clarinet) is a little sharp so I've pulled the barrel out a millimetre and a half and suddenly it sounded ok.

I bought a box of Rico 2s, as well. The reeds in my clarinet case are probably 45 years old. So far, only one of the new reeds is easy to blow. The rest are tough. Again, I suspect it's me.

I've had to put a little bit of folded up paper above the crow's foot by the right hand cluster. There was a lot of movement when I pressed the left hand E/B key before anything happened. That wad of paper appears to have done the trick.

Been working hard on crossing the break, little bits of technique and best practice are coming back to me, like holding down the B and C keys, and even the right hand fingers, once one gets into the throat register. Above G in the clarion register is sounding pretty shrill and horrible, but I guess it'll come.

Great fun, though, and I enjoying just pulling out random songbooks and doing some simple sight-reading.

Derek

User Info Menu

I recalled this thread today, and noticed that the most recent post was mine, and that it was from 16 or 17 months ago when I'd been playing just a couple of weeks (it was my lockdown "new thing"). I've continued to play around 30 minutes a day on the clarinet. It's a tough instrument, but I thoroughly enjoy it, and I think it's doing my guitar-playing good, or at least my music knowledge. I still only know a handful of scales and arpeggios, and my fingers and mouth don't yet have the fluency I'd like (they may never have, as I'm a bit old to be starting this), but anyway here's a short improv over an old Western Swing song that we used to do in the band. You never know, one day I might get to slip the clarinet into a gig - although the idea is currently very scary.

Cheers
    Derek