The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 107 of 107

User Info Menu

Isn’t that why most of us are here, to learn how to sound better?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Isn’t that why most of us are here, to learn how to sound better?
    Not me, I came for the free food and drinks.

User Info Menu

Say only Nice Things! Wouldn't that be lovely, no negative or critique!

My question then is why when someone points out the truth, the audience mostly can't handle it?
    I'm not making these facts up folks. Any older professional in any job will tell you their personal experiences.

Just cause you decided to play dress up Jazz Guitarist or whatever does not automatically qualify ones credentials or abilities.
    It's hard ass work, unless you're a gifted musician to begin with like Pat Metheny or Pat Martino maybe.

And actually making a living at playing music involves a lot more than playing an instrument. It involves a whole lot of sacrifice for most people.
    So walking in a musicians or artist's shoes is not for most people.

User Info Menu

I do get a lot of requests but I play on anyway.

User Info Menu

Actually music isn't hired, it's entertainment. And there in lies the problem.

User Info Menu

I don't have a lot of talent but through working at things I can play a few things for sure. I could not sit in at a club in New York and play a few standards without getting real worried, and I have played for 47 years. I just love jazz and jazz guitar sound. I love archtop guitars and mostly drawn to the acoustic archtop. These days I find my taste in what I like to listen to much different that when I was in college and playing and teaching guitar. Back then I had 30 students a week and practiced hours at a time and had a few gigs for sure.

I never as such played music that was popular like classic rock ( I love it), some good older country music. I mostly just listened to jazz and was trying to figure a way to be a bebop wizard on the guitar. I realized that was not going to happen at least like all my hero's. I still played and enjoy what I can and I got very involved in repairing guitars and guitar construction. I like that as well as playing them in fact. But today I find myself listening more to poetic melodic players like Paul Desmond and Chet Baker. I dig Pat Martino mowing down changes on Lazy Bird and Oleo but after awhile I find going to Kenny Burrell and listening to The Tender Gender, seems at least I listen more. I use to think it all had to be complex and moving all around the fingerboard. Well I have learned 2 things. I not talented as such but I know what sounds good and is done well. Even non talented guitarist can sometime get to that point..........and someone enjoys the music. That is my goal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Beaubs , are you buying drinks or paying these guys to gig with you,LOL !
    Ironically, we needed a place to practice and my house was in a very general location - so I cleared the basement, bought a drum set (so the drummer didn't have to lug his kit with him), bought a bass amp (so the bassist didn't have to lug his amp with him), bought a p.a. (so we had a good mix) and asked my wife to serve snacks and wine. I am not 100% sure but this may be the primary reason they put up with my less than stellar guitar abilities.