The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jazz podcasts that I know are either just playlists or talk shows/interviews. Are there any jazz podcasts in the traditional radio format where there is a host/dj who introduces each tune and the artist and possibly shares some anecdotal information about them between the tunes?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

RNZ Concert has Inside Out, made by Nick Tipping, a bassist who has played with Kenny Burrell, among others. The show is a mixture of the miscellaneous and the themed. He once did a show entirely of musicians called Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    RNZ Concert has Inside Out, made by Nick Tipping, a bassist who has played with Kenny Burrell, among others. The show is a mixture of the miscellaneous and the themed. He once did a show entirely of musicians called Red.
    Perfect, cool. Exactly the kind of thing I was asking for.

I just found this excellent radio station. It is UK based. You can listen to shows live or on demand going back several days. You do need to provide a UK postal code to listen to it if you know what I mean Who needs Spotify.
    Jazz FM | Listen in Colour

User Info Menu

There's a new podcast called WTF Bach which is really good. Not about jazz but he's mostly talking about the Art of The Fugue which is cool. I found out about it because he interviewed Brad Mehldau.

User Info Menu

"In the groove - Jazz and Beyond" is good

User Info Menu

I can't recall if it's available on podcast, but CBC Radio has a show called Saturday Night Jazz.

The show is certainly available over the internet.

From your search engine, type in Saturday Night Jazz with Laila Biali. That should get you there.

Another good listen on CBC Radio is Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap. Each week he picks a theme (often suggested by his listeners) and plays songs related to the theme. Songs run the gamut from the 50's to the present.

From his days with The Guess Who, and Bachman Turner Overdrive, Randy toured and mingled with a lot of musicians. He has a wealth of information about rock music in general, and is able to inject some interesting tidbits of information when walking the listeners through the songs on the show's playlists.

The show is mostly unscripted, and you can hear him quietly strumming away on his guitar while introducing tracks. Very casual.

Being a non-drinker and drug user, his recollections probably have much more clarity and accuracy than a lot of his peers. He's in his mid 70's now, and is still going strong.
    Last edited by redcap; 05-23-2020 at 10:35 PM.

User Info Menu