The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hiya. For my course, I need to do a Music Education Technology project.

So, I'm looking for ways in which online technology has been used to facilitate learning.

So, if you'd be so kind, I'd thought I'd pick your collective brains for:

- reminders of collaborative ways of working that have been used by JGO members on this forum,
    - ways used elsewhere online
    - new ideas

So here are some examples of what we've done:

- Online discussions
    - Recording rhythm guitar videos and playing lead on top
    - Lawson's videos of him playing guitar
    - Videos posted
    - That thread transcribing Chico Pinheiro I did with rpjazzguitar
    - Those pinned threads where people are working through a book

Any more for any more? Any ideas gratefully received, and if I end up using them, full credit will be given...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There was that collaboration between me and DB recently if that helps.

I did my video, sent the video (plus a separate audio file) to Dick, and he added his video/audio to it.

Have You Met Miss Jones (Duet with Graham) on two Norlin Gibson ES-175s

User Info Menu

The monthly Practical Standards threads?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

So, I'm looking for ways in which online technology has been used to facilitate learning.

- reminders of collaborative ways of working that have been used by JGO members on this forum,
    - new ideas

- Online discussions
    - Videos posted

Any more for any more? Any ideas gratefully received, and if I end up using them, full credit will be given...
    hello

I am in a music school (jazz workshop for adults) that is closed since 2 monthes, our teacher (jazz guitarist)
    1- sent us by mail one a week 5 lessons about triads and melodic extensions.
    at each time: sheet music, explanations and exercices + mp3 (tunes, backtracks, available by dropbox), answers to our questions by mail.
    it was like a regular workshop, deeper in one subject (triads)

2- during the Easter holidays made us participate to a group project by recording each one (smartphone) a part of an arrangement he made of "c'est si bon"
    we had:
    the score
    our instrument sheet music
    an mp3 of the arrangement computer made
    an mp3 to use for recording (to use with earphones) with live guitar comping and singing
    each one made his recording an sent it to the dropbox we use for the workshop,
    it is not yet published

I can send you things if you want

hope it will be helpfull
    cheers

Michel (70 - France)

Envoyé de mon SM-A520F en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

published (collaborative project in Covidtime)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    The monthly Practical Standards threads?
    That was the first thing I thought of.
    Also, Reg's Thread... live at the speed of Jazz

User Info Menu

- new ideas

- Online discussions
    - Videos posted

It might not relate directly to what you're doing right now but this is huge;

https://www.kadenze.com/courses/onli...echnology/info

It's something to be aware of. I don't understand the technical issues in getting latency below a certain level- roughly 10ms but when it happens it will change everything about how we learn, teach, put projects together, etc..
    Apple is aware of the latency problem. Android OS's require a lot of voodoo to reduce latency. 10ms is so so. When it gets down to around 5-6ms I barely notice it.

User Info Menu

Would be amazing... I hear 5G might do the trick?

My internet is a joke

User Info Menu

Would be amazing... I hear 5G might do the trick?

My internet is a joke
    I'm not sure.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-fast-is-5g/

"For the most part, we already enjoy fast download speeds on 4G. While it might be helpful to be able to download an entire HD movie in less than a second, it’s not something we need. Upload speeds, on the other hand, are abysmal right now. Looking at network latency, 3G could be anywhere from 60ms to 200ms, whereas 4G is currently around 40ms to 60ms. While 5G could theoretically take that down to 1ms, a more realistic figure might be 10ms. Not only will that make everything feel more responsive, but it will also allow for cloud gaming, improvements to AR and VR, robotics, and driver-less cars. Being able to act in real time over the network has endless potential applications."

User Info Menu

The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second), and in theory nothing can travel faster than light. In miles per hour, light speed is, well, a lot: about 670,616,629 mph.
    So 186 miles in a ms.

My collaborator is in Asheville NC, 2300 miles. If we could work at the speed of light the latency would be 24 ms round trip, i.e. he plays something and how long it takes for him to hear what I play in response coming back to him. I'm pretty sure that would be unusable. Also, pretty sure we can't work at the speed of light... but who knows, the world was once flat.

User Info Menu

TrueFire, Richie Zellon and others have Jazz Online Courses that post videos, study materials, demonstrations, target goals, downloadable documents and backing tracks, and forums to allow basic interaction. Maybe this qualifies?

User Info Menu

Yeah c is a hard limit.

OTOH most of my bandmates live within 1 mile

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    So 186 miles in a ms.

My collaborator is in Asheville NC, 2300 miles. If we could work at the speed of light the latency would be 24 ms round trip, i.e. he plays something and how long it takes for him to hear what I play in response coming back to him. I'm pretty sure that would be unusable. Also, pretty sure we can't work at the speed of light... but who knows, the world was once flat.
    If the math is right then it wouldn't be of much use beyond a 1,000 miles or so.

User Info Menu

I spend time writing and recording with my friend in Asheville North Carolina.

Nothing you couldn't figure out for yourself though. We both use the same DAW (Reaper). Person 1 of us will start a tune and record tracks and then send tracks to person 2. Person 2 will record more tracks. Usually done tracking at this point but sometimes it goes back and forth twice.

I do the final mix and a video if we are doing video.

My friend is new to computers so I help him a lot with TeamViewer which is a software that enables me see his screen and control his computer. I can even act as the engineer remotely while he's recording.

One more thing I can think of... Gmail allows you to send large files back and forth. I know we have sent multiple files in the 50mb size in one gmail. This only works from a computer (not a smartphone).

For example:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    If the math is right then it wouldn't be of much use beyond a 1,000 miles or so.
    Also, I would really question my hypothetical if data can travel over the internet at the speed of light. That's just the theoretical max that anything can travel, I'd bet data is actually traveling much much slower than that.

User Info Menu

I started guitar as a kid in the mid-70's, got serious about jazz in college a decade later. I didn't SEE Pat Martino, Jim Hall, Herb Ellis, Kenny Burrell or Joe Pass play until I physically put myself in a room that they were playing in. I used to stare at posed photos on album covers and try to guess what clues a player's posture gave to their actual technique.In the early 90's I got a grainy bootleg VHS video of Wes at Ronnie Scott's and it completely changed my approach to the instrument.

To me, being able to go to YouTube and see actual footage of the greats doing their thing is a goldmine. Having so much content available is a useful thing in many contexts. I have much better luck telling a student, 'watch these Wes videos for a week, and then let's talk about fingerings", than just providing neck diagrams out of context.

PK