The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    True, but it was commonly said that you could get the Metheny sound with a chorus pedal. That's why I got one at the time. I bet BOSS sold a million chorus units just based on the incorrect assumption that Pat got his sound from a chorus pedal.
    Yup, and not only with Pat, same thing with Stern, who also used delays rather than chorus back then.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    Yup, and not only with Pat, same thing with Stern, who also used delays rather than chorus back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    Actually, it was usually often short delays rather than choruses
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    True, but it was commonly said that you could get the Metheny sound with a chorus pedal. That's why I got one at the time. I bet BOSS sold a million chorus units just based on the incorrect assumption that Pat got his sound from a chorus pedal.
    While it's true that both Stern and Metheny got the effect by using delays, the distinction always felt a little precious to me. If the effect to the listener come across as a chorus effect, then the technicalities of how they go about creating is is only really relevant to them.
    I do wonder though, whether that's why Stern imho consistently sound better live in a room than on records - perhaps it's a hard effect to capture.

User Info Menu

Purpose? The sound of the guitar in popular music has changed drastically since the 60s. Jazz Guitar has remained virtually stagnant soundwise. To the purist it's supposed to sound not much different than Charlie Christian of the 40s, or Wes, or Pass or Hall or Burrell. That's all fine and good, but technology and sound have changed. People who are forward thinking guitarists look for new sounds. That's all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Khraungbin!

Man, I love them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Wet:

Dry...really, really dry.
    The Joe 'n' Herb clip makes a dry martini seem like a Diet Coke.

I like the Gilad tone a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Pop is the new jazz. Let's not demean things by calling that a 'cover'. It's an interpretation.
    Amazing.
    The old jazz was pop, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It is a Strymon El Capistan with an expression pedal apparently.
    yeah I might have bought one and also the same pickups....my favorite band.

My favorite wettish player lately is Adam Rogers. He sort of does one thing but nails it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sully75
    yeah I might have bought one and also the same pickups....my favorite band.

My favorite wettish player lately is Adam Rogers. He sort of does one thing but nails it.
    Hardly. Have you heard his group Dice. He does a lot more than one thing. Yeah he’s like my fav too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk