The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

If you want a multi-instrumentalist to inspire you, take at look at James Morrison
    James Morrison (jazz musician) - Wikipedia
    James Morrison | James Morrison AM - Australian Multi Instrumentalist, Composer, Educator

Although his main instrument is trumpet, he has also performed on trombone, tuba, euphonium, flugelhorn, saxophone, clarinet, double bass, guitar, and piano.

Mind you, as a trombone player myself who's dabbled with other brass instruments as well, I'd say that nearly all brass instruments are in essence the same instrument. The instruments with a difference are the French Horn, because that starts up the third or fourth harmonic partial, and the fingered and keyed brass instruments like the cornetto, the serpent, the keyed bugle and the ophicleide, because they start on the pedal, not on the first harmonic partial the way the trumpet, trombone, cornet, flugelhorn (soprano tuba), tenor and baritone horns, euphoniums and tubas do. (I don't know where the keyed trumpet starts: I suspect it's just another trumpet in that regard, starting on the first partial harmonic like all the other trumpets from natural and Baroque to British slide to modern valved trumpets. I could be wrong, though, and welcome corrections.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think the piano is the instrument that makes the most sense to double on for most instrumentalists, it's seems all the horn players I've known play at least a little bit of piano.

Trumpet is a bit like bagpipes I would think. You need a place where you can practice without bothering others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    I grew up playing trumpet in school bands.
    I took up guitar when I realized that you can’t sit under a tree and serenade your girlfriend with a trumpet!
    Wait for it... (if you're impatient, start at 1:20)

User Info Menu

No need to drop one to pursue the other. I started out self-taught on guitar at age 9, took trumpet lessons and played in marching band (doubling on baritone horn when we needed one) for a few years, took up bass to join a friend's rock band in high school, and studied classic guitar for two years as a music major in college before switching to jazz guitar as my primary instrument. In my freshman year at college, I studied trumpet, double bass, and classic guitar simultaneously, because I loved all three instruments and did not want to quit any of them. Eventually, though, guitar was my true love, the one I wanted to play most often and wanted to make my primary focus. Even then, while a declared guitar major, I still had to learn enough piano to play theory exams. And before I switched to the jazz major, I was on the typical music major track that made you spend a semester or two on every instrument, so I also had about a semester of clarinet. I still played bass and trumpet on the side for years following the switch, but now have not played either of those instruments in decades.

All of these different instruments taught me things that helped my jazz playing and my musical conception overall. So, play whatever you want to play; in the end, it's all music, and perhaps one of those instruments will stand out as the one on which you want to focus the most attention. Or maybe you will become one of those guys who is a monster player on multiple axes. I was actually a pretty good bassist (gigged professionally quite a bit) and trumpet actually came easily to me. But guitar was always the thing I loved most, and now I'm a much better guitarist than the musician I ever was on all of the other instruments combined. I was never much of a pianist; it's kind of on my bucket list as unfinished business!

It's interesting to hear others' stories, and I hope my story offered you some perspective.
    Last edited by starjasmine; 06-06-2020 at 06:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ng1

If any of you have found yourselves in similar situations, or just happen to have any thoughts, advice, anything, please feel free to add, again, I am all ears Thank you
    If anyone here ever says they never had doubts about their chosen instrument I'd have to be suspect.
    We always juxtapose our playing with whatever inspirations are out there and most times come up short and at times doubtful.

Far be it from me to suggest one instrument over the other but I'd suggest that your harmonic knowledge will assist your melodic creativity more so then the reverse; as you note that many linear players also studied harmony via piano etc.

There was a movie called "I Remember Momma" where the mother of the protagonist was trying to determine the probability of her daughter becoming a successful writer so she cornered a professional writer with the question.

The pro answered with a question,"...well, does your daughter WANT TO BE A WRITER...or DOES SHE WRITE?"

So find out which instrument you find yourself at...mostly.