Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

boys and girls. fun time.....................................

If any part of it doesn’t seem to make sense, by all means call it to my attention. I’m not trying to send you out “on the road” in search of Valhalla, but merely pointing out that it is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it. There is more to it than that— no one HAS to do something he doesn’t want to do for the rest of his life. But then again, if that’s what you wind up doing, by all means convince yourself that you HAD to do it. You’ll have lots of company. Hunter S Thompson

i think playing with a Tuner on your headstock is a bit like people who perch their sunglasses on their head, mainly girls i think, my charming young wife wife did until i imposed harsh but fair sharia law on her, ( i am not at all religious) she did not stop because she actually wanted the beatings, fake of course.

Ok some of you may not be comfortable with this cheap brazen talk, well thats probably why you were not re-hired for gigs, failed auditions or did not pass entrance for music gigs, and ejected from the church band, because there would have always been one of us who did not like you and your dumb tuner.

Protest yelp: Well there are really famous people who use them.

Slap down: They are ALL ugly horrible fake people who should know better and some are growing old and like to wear fashion statements. I cant recall CC Tal Barney or Wes using one. Although Django did use one as a fishing lure

Protest yelp: but they were not available in those days.

Slap down:correct but they all swore blind should a device like that ever come out they would never use one ever. If fact they were all so Sharia they thought having two pickups was adultery. Which i firmly agree with.

i dont have no problem with using one to to tune up initially and remove after then tweak as necessary by ear. I do understand that it is not good to be making rink a dink a sounds tuning up before Toons, it sounds horrid and is unprofessional.

Elvis told me he would be up for several if someone could invent one and would most definitely buy one for his mum, and clip one on to his Cadillac mirror, Elvis was a good guy like that.

Jimmy Bruno said he would use one but made me promise not to mention, he did not think he could work one. I love Jimmy's straight talk.

I think lets ban them,

again Hunter S Thompson would never have used one ever, he preferred pinging a Wild Turkey bottle ( in G ) like a tuning fork affair.

if you are uncertain of what all this means dont worry, its rather like the Lydian chromatic concept of tuning

Jokes aside, curious as what what people think about tuners, i dont think people really could do without them a bit like all the plastic bags we grab and use everyday everywhere. Until like now using way way less. and our cars well the air is a lot cleaner sand clearer in many places lets hope it remains so.

Disclaimer, please dont inject any of this, it wont be good for you

Love
    Donald Trump

ps
    Joe Pass when asked how he tunes his guitar, replied "I get a friend to tune it for me".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Since I played the violin as a kid before the electric tuners were widely available I was very use to using a pitch pipe. I continued to do that once I switched to guitar. I use a tuner today mostly for convenience, but I still have pitch pipe in my guitar case, just in case the battery goes dead! It also comes in handy when playing with piano players since one needs to tune their guitar to 'match' that of the piano.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 04-24-2020 at 06:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I thought about taking a "Pass" on this post, but...it is Friday...

Elvis used to put a kitchen sponge under his trapeze to minimize feedback, so he def wouldn't GAF about a tuner.

Joe himself was super practical, and I think he would be all for it.

I personally don't know how I survived in the pretuner era. My ex-wife used to say I played out of tune. Once I got my tuner, she no longer said that, she said I played out of rhythm. So I got a metronome. Then she just said my playing sucks.

Re' tuners...I have about a half-dozen tuners, including a Boss inline and a Roland plug in. I also have a Snark which I probably like the best, but it is kind of ugly looking. More recently I got a couple of inexpensive D'A micro tuners which are virtually invisible, especially against a black headstock.

They all get the job done. If I lost them all today, I guess I could tune by the tinnitus in my ear. I think it's an A.

User Info Menu

Playing a fret less string instrument really improves one ear. When I was in the Jr. High Orchestra the main reason a violin player would be kicked-off and replaced was that they couldn't play in tune.

User Info Menu

I've seen videos of a lot of current and recently passed well-known players with clip-on tuners on their guitars while playing. The Pizzarellis, all sorts of people. I think it's more the cork sniffers than the practical players who object so vehemently to tuners. They are tools, made to be used. Taking them off after tuning is more trouble than some people are willing to go to. Me, I don't care either way, it's just not something that's important enough to spend time worrying about. Unlike the color of the sunburst or the amount of flame on the back, which are of earth-shaking importance.

User Info Menu

man, if sinatra can use a teleprompter for doobie doobie doo lyrics, we all can use a headstock tuner!

better to be in tune..

it's the proud ones, who'll be embarrassed later! haha...when their outta tuneness shows up on u-tube...haha

luck with that

cheers

User Info Menu

We all know they were invented for drunk guitarists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    As well as deaf ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    That's redundant.

User Info Menu

i think the clip on tuners
    are ok .... sort of ....

but i wish they’d make them bigger with brighter colours
    maybe attractive flashing lights etc

maybe they should play some
    kind of fanfare when you get in tune ....

User Info Menu

There are tuners available that are so small they're hard to see on a guitar with a black headstock veneer. Very small and discreet. I haven't bothered to buy one to test, because I have enough, and nobody is looking at my guitar anyway. Plus, I normally tune using my phone, which runs the Peterson Strobosoft tuner and is much more sensitive than any clip-on I've tried. I have a clip that attaches to the headstock and plugs into the mic input of the phone, for use where I don't want to annoy others while tuning, but I don't usually need it at home. I remove it after tuning because the long cord to the phone is annoying to deal with while playing. But if you're shy about having people see your tuner, there are options.

D'Addario Planet Waves NS Micro Headstock Tuner | Guitar Center

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    There are tuners available that are so small they're hard to see on a guitar with a black headstock veneer. Very small and discreet. I haven't bothered to buy one to test, because I have enough, and nobody is looking at my guitar anyway. Plus, I normally tune using my phone, which runs the Peterson Strobosoft tuner and is much more sensitive than any clip-on I've tried. I have a clip that attaches to the headstock and plugs into the mic input of the phone, for use where I don't want to annoy others while tuning, but I don't usually need it at home. I remove it after tuning because the long cord to the phone is annoying to deal with while playing. But if you're shy about having people see your tuner, there are options.

D'Addario Planet Waves NS Micro Headstock Tuner | Guitar Center
    That's what I've got--one for each of my 2 main guitars. Does the job.

User Info Menu

Don’t believe headstock tuners were around yet when Tal, Barney and JP we’re still active.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Since I played the violin as a kid before the electric tuners were widely available I was very use to using a pitch pipe. I continued to do that once I switched to guitar. I use a tuner today mostly for convenience, but I still have pitch pipe in my guitar case, just in case the battery goes dead! It also comes in handy when playing with piano players since one needs to tune their guitar to 'match' that of the piano.
    Wow, James,
    You just flooded me with a lost memory from the past! My first tuner WAS a pitch pipe for my Kay triple pickup electric guitar circa 1962. You needed plumber's hands to play that guitar and little did I know that the action could have been easily adjusted for a small price. What a difference a day makes! Good memories . . . Marinero