Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima. Headphones on full volume...

He died today.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So sorry hear this. I was privileged to study with him at the Aspen Music Festival in 1976. Sang in a huge choir for a North American premier of one of his compositions "Utrenja". Met him one night on a street corner in town and chatted for about half an hour. A brilliant composer and very approachable, lovely man. RIP.
    Last edited by jaco; 03-29-2020 at 06:41 PM.

User Info Menu

rip kp

with the great don cherry

cheers

User Info Menu

Wow, two great posts there.

Jaco, you have great experiences to fall back on there. I would have liked to have met him, for sure.

Neatomic - I never knew of this recording. It's great!

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    rip kp

with the great don cherry

cheers
    Wow, never heard this before! Thanks for posting this. A great way to celebrate KP (Threnody is so powerful it is overwhelming right now...).

User Info Menu

2001: A Space Odyssey? Not my cup of Lavazza. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

They turned to KP's music when William Friedkin rejected Lalo Schifrin's music for the soundtrack to "The Exorcist".
    Friedkin took the tape of Schifrin's score for the film, and sent it rolling down the floor of the studio, till it smashed into the outside door, accompanied by a number of expletives from WF that I can't say here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    They turned to KP's music when William Friedkin rejected Lalo Schifrin's music for the soundtrack to "The Exorcist".
    Friedkin took the tape of Schifrin's score for the film, and sent it rolling down the floor of the studio, till it smashed into the outside door, accompanied by a number of expletives from WF that I can't say here...
    and good thing he did..as the young prodigy mike oldfield got his tubular bells into it..that made both the film and soundtrack!!...

i love lalo s (bullit! whew)..but it would not have been near the same impact

penderecki also was featured in the shining!

been listening to his cello concerto's past few days..wonderful stuff..he was out but sooo great

we just lost a heavy!

cheers

User Info Menu

With all due respect to the departed, how should one categorize these performances historically? Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    With all due respect to the departed, how should one categorize these performances historically? Good playing . . . Marinero
    Why should anyone characterize these performances? Just enjoy and be grateful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Why should anyone characterize these performances? Just enjoy and be grateful.
    Hi, Ron,
    For me, there's nothing here to enjoy . . . . it's cacophony. Grateful . . . that sounds religious. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

the Threnody is a very powerful, visceral and emotionally raw piece of music.... he never quite made an impact like that again, did he?

still, being able to connect with a listener like that? How many of can do that?

Seems it can also upset, alienate and anger people even after all this time; but I can’t imagine someone being unaffected by it if they listen to the whole thing.

And of course that is one value of live concerts, where you end up experience things you might not seek out.

Makes me think what music is for. Most music is just pretty froth really. I do a lot of that, and I enjoy it, but it can be so much more.