Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Just a quick post.
    I got a letter stating that "an unauthorized person gained access to our computer system and more specifically, to information that consumers had entered through the Website. etc blah, blah, between 8-3-2019 and 1-4-2020.

'We cannot state with certainty that your data was specifically accessed however potential information could have been name, address payment card account number, exp data and security code." (sort of a quote, I didn't want to type it all in)

I would be interested if anyone else got this letter and their thoughts on the matter.

All I did was just renew my all access for a year. I am not overly verbal so I might not comment much again but thanks for any comments you might have.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm a longtime Truefire customer and subscriber and have had no such communication from them. I can see nothing concerning any suggested data breach on their social media channels (Facebook, Instagram) or main website (including my user homepage when I am logged in).

The quickest way to answer your question is to give them a call: Support Hours M-TH from 9-7pm EST | (800) 222-3366

User Info Menu

Did the letter ask for any information from you? If so, it's probably a scam, although scammers don't use snail mail as much as email, because postage isn't free. But my mother used to get all sorts of scam schemes through the mail.

User Info Menu

The letter looks pretty real to me. It's mostly saying to contact one of the major credit agencies, and if I do so to get a "security freeze" I would have to provide a lot of information at that point.

My access renewal was not long after the earliest date in the date range. I guess I could call TrueFire to verify with them. I'm also going to wait a day or two to see if anyone else on the forum sees this and also got a letter since a lot of us use TrueFire.

User Info Menu

Is this why I got charged for 6 pallets of toilet paper on my credit card???? ggrrrrr!

User Info Menu

Your email sounds like either a scam or either to ruin a TrueFire reputation.
    I did not got similar. It would be useful to create a screenshot of the email and post here, and also do not click any of the link or attachement of your email.

User Info Menu

I got the same email, but it was from guitar.com, not TrueFire.

Which doesn't mean the information was false, much less that this is a scam.

I should check with TrueFire....

User Info Menu

I just went to the guitar.com website and they have a story about this, so it's looking like it's real.
    TrueFire hacked, credit cards and personal info may have been compromised - Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    I just went to the guitar.com website and they have a story about this, so it's looking like it's real.
    TrueFire hacked, credit cards and personal info may have been compromised - Guitar.com | All Things Guitar
    Right, that's what I got. Scary.
    I wrote TrueFire's "Help Desk" asking about this. No reply yet but I'll post whatever I hear back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    The letter looks pretty real to me. It's mostly saying to contact one of the major credit agencies, and if I do so to get a "security freeze" I would have to provide a lot of information at that point.

My access renewal was not long after the earliest date in the date range. I guess I could call TrueFire to verify with them. I'm also going to wait a day or two to see if anyone else on the forum sees this and also got a letter since a lot of us use TrueFire.

Did you get a real paper letter or did you get an email?

User Info Menu

A paper letter from USPS. Had the truefire logo and looked very official. It wasn't asking for any information, but directing me to major credit monitoring companies, equifax etc.

User Info Menu

Maybe this only affects those who entered their information for the 1st time between the dates given. I haven't heard anything from Truefire about this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    Maybe this only affects those who entered their information for the 1st time between the dates given. I haven't heard anything from Truefire about this.
    Same here, which is odd. If everything is hunky dory, they should shout it from the rooftops.
    Still waiting for a response to my email to them.

User Info Menu

I had a couple of unauthorized purchases on my credit card a few months back. My first hunch was truefire as it was basically the only online site, I had used that card on. Kinda forgot about it, but seeing this does not surprise me.

No issues, my bank refunded the money quickly, even tho we're talking +2k.

User Info Menu

I had a card compromised two weeks ago. The company just issued me a new card, saying the one I had was compromised. It was the same one I use for TrueFire.

Coincidence?

User Info Menu

more tough timing..as tim lerch lessons just went up!!!

true or not...its not good press either way

sorry to hear

cheers

User Info Menu

Nothing here in Canada - except Truefire sale offers via email. I just pre-ordered a day or two ago Tim's Jazz Blues Pathways release , I own his Solo Jazz Pathways and am mightily impressed.

Will

User Info Menu

I got this reply from the TrueFire HelpDesk today. (It came several hours ago but I was otherwise occupied and am just now seeing it and posting it.)

>>>Hey Mark,
    On January 10, 2020, TrueFire discovered that an unauthorized person gained access to its
    computer system and, more specifically, to information that consumers had entered through the
    Website. While TrueFire does not store credit card information on its Website, it appears that the
    unauthorized person gained access to the Website and might have accessed the data of
    consumers who made payment card purchases while that data was being entered between August
    3, 2019 and January 14, 2020.<<<<<<

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    it appears that the
    unauthorized person gained access to the Website and might have accessed the data of
    consumers who made payment card purchases while that data was being entered between August
    3, 2019 and January 14, 2020.<<<<<<
    Yes I used a card within those dates, and I did have an unauthorized charge I had to dispute a few weeks later.

I got the letter monday too, it's good to know how my card was compromised, it bothered me a bit that I didn't know which transaction might have been the leak.

User Info Menu

I wonder if TrueFIre knows who the unauthorized person was?

User Info Menu

I got the same message from CreditKarma.