The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

Hey folks! I’m about to release a CD and I need some promotional information. Are there any good jazz guitar magazines? Or even regular guitar magazines that will cover jazz, say review a jazz guitar album?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Henry,
    Congrats on the CD -- please make sure you post here so we can order it!

Since Just Jazz Guitar sadly closed down a few years back, there are no "jazz guitar" magazines out there (that I've ever seen)! Jazz Improv magazine closed down about 10 years ago, too.

The only jazz mags in the States that I know are Jazz Times and Downbeat. I don't bother with the other "guitar" magazines, since they're 95% rock, and I'm not interested in reading about most of that (although I do like some modern rock here and there).

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hi Henry,
    Congrats on the CD -- please make sure you post here so we can order it!

Since Just Jazz Guitar sadly closed down a few years back, there are no "jazz guitar" magazines out there (that I've ever seen)! Jazz Improv magazine closed down about 10 years ago, too.

The only jazz mags in the States that I know are Jazz Times and Downbeat. I don't bother with the other "guitar" magazines, since they're 95% rock, and I'm not interested in reading about most of that (although I do like some modern rock here and there).

Marc
    Thank you. More information than I knew but I feel pretty much the same. All the guitar magazines are 95% rock. What about other things like Fretboard Journal? Acoustic Guitar I think maybe covers some not acoustic jazz, sometimes? I don’t know.

User Info Menu

Vintage Guitar Magazine ( Vintage Guitar(R) magazine | Published monthly since 1986 ) at one time would review jazz guitar albums. It's been a while since I've read it.

User Info Menu

Congrats from me, too.

Here is an online Jazz Guitar magazine, if it helps you any. I would think they might a little hungry for content so maybe you can contact them?

Jazz Guitar Today - Today, Tomorrow & Tradition

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new CD! I'm in the early stages of planning my next one and have been thinking the same thoughts...

I don't really see too much 'jazz' coverage in the few guitar magazines, beyond McLaughlin or Frisell collaborations with more mainstream folk. There are a few publications like Guitar Afficinado and Vintage Guitar where having an 'interesting' axe can help...There seems to be more traction in the usual suspect jazz magazine, Downbeat, etc.

Like most 'niche' markets, things seem to have shifted away from print to the internets. There are a number of forums and facebook groups, each it's own little fiefdom with it's own agenda. Hard to say where the best return on your time and effort is spent there

Best wishes for your music!

PK

User Info Menu

The only magazine I get is Downbeat. Recent cover picture was Pat Metheny, so does that count as a jazz guitar magazine. Congrats on the release.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I think I’m hiring a jazz PR firm and they want to know specifically what guitar magazines to send it to in addition to the regular downbeat, jazztime, etc.

User Info Menu

Sorry if this is obvious, but you are running some sort of social media campaign?

Wonderful playing by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse
    Sorry if this is obvious, but you are running some sort of social media campaign?

Wonderful playing by the way.
    Thank you for the compliment! Not really a campaign. The PR will be doing some of that. I have a fairly strong Facebook presence and will do my own do Twitter, instagram etc. but they’ll do the bulk of that. Any specific ideas you’re talking about?

I’m not happy with some of the promotional things I’ve paid for in the past for Facebook. I think it’s just a rip off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Thank you for the compliment! Not really a campaign. The PR will be doing some of that. I have a fairly strong Facebook presence and will do my own do Twitter, instagram etc. but they’ll do the bulk of that. Any specific ideas you’re talking about?

I’m not happy with some of the promotional things I’ve paid for in the past for Facebook. I think it’s just a rip off.

Oh, ok great. That sort of thing is all I meant. I never assume a jazz guitarist is tech savvy; I know I’m not. Best of luck to you.

User Info Menu

vintage guitar still does reviews

User Info Menu

There is also "Guitar Techniques". Not a US publication but they recently did a feature with Tim Lerch (member here), a 3-part series on jazz-blues guitar.
    The focus of the magazine is teaching guitar. "The ultimate tutorial based guitar magazine."
    Guitar Techniques Magazine Subscription | My Favourite Magazines

User Info Menu

Best of luck with the CD, Henry!

I had to quit reading guitar magazines. The GAS was unbearable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Best of luck with the CD, Henry!

I had to quit reading guitar magazines. The GAS was unbearable.
    Thank you! And I KNOW! Me too. Especially and music, audio, gear, studio magazines. I had to stop going into music stores too. Only when i absolutely have to. I just go to Amazon to buy syringe and stuff. Lol.

User Info Menu

I'm a fuddy duddy. I have had a subscription to Guitar Player for 50 years. I don't read a lot of the stuff in it, these days, but I can't bring myself to stop subscribing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I'm a fuddy duddy. I have had a subscription to Guitar Player for 50 years. I don't read a lot of the stuff in it, these days, but I can't bring myself to stop subscribing.
    Would they review a jazz CD from a hardly nobody?

User Info Menu

Another option is trying for publications in any applicable neighboring genres, blues, jam-band, roots, acoustic, fingerstyle, etc.

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I'm a charter subscriber--every two years I swear I'll drop it but I always sign up again.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Listening to The Way You Look Tonight on SoundCloud right now. Wow - why haven’t I heard of you before? Great playing! I subscribe to Fretboard Journal. Lost interest in all the other guitar magazines. Every once in a while I pick up a copy of Acoustic Guitar. I think the jazz magazines would be your best bet other than social media. My son just finished recording his first full length album with a professional producer and studio (not jazz, however). He will need to promote it somewhere/somehow. He’s planning to put it on CD Baby for streaming and then do some tours but he’s young and has limited resources. I don’t envy the challenges he’s facing trying to support himself as a musician.

User Info Menu

Where does someone find something like a print magazine nowadays? Newstands and magazine stores are a thing of the past.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Where does someone find something like a print magazine nowadays? Newstands and magazine stores are a thing of the past.
    Airports

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Would they review a jazz CD from a hardly nobody?

Probably not

User Info Menu

These online publications include reviews:

All About Jazz

Jazzwise

Jazz Times

Jazz Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Holy Shit, where do you live? The Sahara? Mars?