Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I've seen the ' hearing aid design' hyped models etc etc, but some of the negative reviews scare me. I am not expecting movie theater quality reproduction, just looking to improve upon the lousy standard tv speakers, so the dialogue in those older movies is better. If the overall sound improves, great !
    Is there a senior-friendly, easy hook-up model that won't break the bank ? I don't expect much for under a hundred bucks in anything, so what's next - -plan on spending $200.- $250.00+/- ??

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Blue tooth earbuds.

User Info Menu

It’s not just the old movies which have problems:

Jamaica Inn ends with 2,200 complaints about mumbling - BBC News

User Info Menu

I use an amp from Dayton Audio and my old Bose 901 speakers. Works great, sounds good. I also have the chromecast audio that I got for Christmas some time back connected to the amp, so I can listen to either music or the TV. I have an older TV that has no proper audio out, but it works well enough using the headphone jack. The difference in clarity between the TV speakers and the Bose set is very obvious.

User Info Menu

LG soundbar and sub woofer

User Info Menu

And now I'm wondering whether I can connect any soundbar I buy directly to the cable box. I have a flush wall-mounted tv, and would really rather not have to remove and then re-hang the set.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I too am looking for a good Soundbar, but don't want to go overboard spending. I heard a Vizio 36" Soundbar with built-in woofers while I was in Walmart. I was pretty impressed.

I love listening to Youtube's music on the TV and all I need is a great soundbar to upgrade the sound.

The Vizio was around 86 bucks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I too am looking for a good Soundbar, but don't want to go overboard spending. I heard a Vizio 36" Soundbar with built-in woofers while I was in Walmart. I was pretty impressed.

I love listening to Youtube's music on the TV and all I need is a great soundbar to upgrade the sound.

The Vizio was around 86 bucks.
    There's a Vizio model they sell the heck out of. I'm tempted to buy one for about that money just to see if it'd work connected directly to my cable box. I'm guessing it'd be better than the tv speakers - -hopefully. I also heard some good things about a Yamaha Yas 108, ( but $199. )

Thanks.

User Info Menu

My wife and I both had a problem hearing dialogue on our TV's speaker and with our 28.5" Long Vizio sound bar.
    We noticed that old black and white movies were really easy to hear the dialogue, but newer stuff were too unbalanced with the background music drowning out the voices.
    We had to find a solution and eventually found the Zvox AV200 at our local Best Buys.
    The Zvox AV200 has Two AccuVoice settings which is suppose to lift the voices out of the soundtrack to make them clear and understandable.
    The AV200 is only 17" long so I was hesitant to purchase it, think this thing won't be any better than our Vizio sound bar.

We did notice an improvement, but some shows or movies were still difficult hear the dialogue, more so for me than my wife.
    I have a hearing loss issue, having been an aircraft engine mechanic for 20 years.
    Along with using the Zvox, I still occasionally turn on the subtitle feature for some shows and movies.
    I still have the Visio sound bar hooked up and can use it and the Zvox at the same time.
    The Visio has much better bass response so music sounds much better when watching concert videos.

Here's a link to Zvox website.
    AccuVoice TV Speakers
    Last edited by dhd; 02-18-2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Took out duplicate link

User Info Menu

Holy crap, I just think no one knows how to mix audio these days

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Holy crap, I just think no one knows how to mix audio these days
    Yep I agree, especially for aging boomers like me with upper level hearing loss...

We have a Bose system--not with a soundbar, has 2 small speakers and a subwoofer. I'm not sure it's still available. I think it's pretty good and "close" to theater quality, which I often find pretty annoying for one reason or the other--usually too loud. It wasn't super expensive either--$5-600 a few years ago.

Still, sometimes sound effects are too loud and dialogue too low. My 2 solutions are: put on subtitles--especially for shows produced in England or Australia that feature a deep broque; or put in my Bose Hearphones, which allow me to get good quality sound at a reasonable volume without annoying other listeners in the room.

User Info Menu

My GF has a Samsung soundbar and it has no issues hearing dialogue. Recently she moved and the movers broke the subwoofer connector and we found it sounds even better without it so it stays disconnected.

Hookup is a power brick and mini stereo cord.

User Info Menu

The subwoofer makes dialogue harder to understand because the bass overpowers the voice frequencies. Too much bass makes dialogue harder to hear, as does too little. Like guitars and amps, some EQ is sometimes necessary.

User Info Menu

I play my tv through jbl ceiling mount speakers. Music and sound effects sounds fuller, better and with more bottom end. Dialog is louder but not necessarily easier to understand, adding low end to a speaking voice does not help the clarity. My samsung tv speakers do a good job on the mid range and high mids, that makes dialog more easy to understand.

User Info Menu

I know this isn't often the case in today's preset world but .....

if if you can access the 'centre' channel of the 5.1
    turn that up a bit relative to the other channels
    it often carries the clean(ish) dialogue ....