The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

This one sounds pretty special to me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I didn't realize Hofner would cause such a derailment. The original post was about the quality of D'Aquistos, and whether or not the original poster should carry them to help out his Belgian jazz brothers and sisters. Perhaps others can make suggestions of a good line of guitars that would fill the void he is losing with the Benedetto line.

User Info Menu

i'd recommend heritage or d'aquisto or d'angelico (assuming the latter is back in business)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    I didn't realize Hofner would cause such a derailment. The original post was about the quality of D'Aquistos, and whether or not the original poster should carry them to help out his Belgian jazz brothers and sisters. Perhaps others can make suggestions of a good line of guitars that would fill the void he is losing with the Benedetto line.
    It's OK. This was the purpose of my original post, really. It really helps, guys. Thanks a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I dream about perfect guitar...but where it is?:-)
    Here : Exxbox Guitars

LOL
    :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NiAg
    >>> D'Aquisto's play so horribly

Wow Sphere. I'm sure you have had a genuinely disappointing D'Aq experience, but is it possible that your extrapolation is a little excessive?

In my opinion it is almost impossible to find a systematically bad guitar line anymore.

Sure we all have our favorites and our un-favorites. But unlike days of yore, even some of the really budget conscious brands of guitars are rather consistent, and consistently competent.

In contrast, I'm thinking back to brands like Hondo II (that's one better than a Hondo) where they were profoundly and fundamentally awful (I had to do waranty service on them).

Now you can find some systematic problems, like protruding shark-attack fret ends, on guitars made in high humidity, then shrunk in a dry Guitar Center. But this and other typical issues are all easily fixed in a decent setup. And it is best to plan on a good setup on ANY GUITAR, in my opinion.

Anyway, I am sure you have genuine cause for your D'Aquisto views, but they strike me as quite inconsistent with the general state of affairs even from budget boxes, nevermind a modest mid-range D'Aquisto.
    I apologize for my harsh earlier statements, the new ones are not my favorite, I may have just of had a bad experience. I now take into consideration the fact the one i played was used and there may have been more than one problem with it, may it wasn't the manufactures fault. I apologize

User Info Menu

I love the playing of my D´Aquisto...

User Info Menu

I just read on the last page that someone thought Aria D'Aquistos were hard to come by in the US. Looking on Ebay right now I stopped counting at 7. I'm in the US and bought a Jazzline on Ebay for a great price. I'm still considering replacing the stock pickup, but recently spent a long, long time adjusting it and I think I'm satisfied with it for the time being.

Acoustically, it is surprisingly loud for its small size. It plays great, although I'd prefer a florentine cutaway. Setup was great when I got it, haven't changed anything except the pickup adjustment. Finish is pretty much perfect. I especially like the blonde finish on mine because it matches my Ibanez AS-103 and spruce top classical. Overall, the guitar is wonderful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by histind
    I just read on the last page that someone thought Aria D'Aquistos were hard to come by in the US.
    I think the idea is that there are very few D'Aquisto dealers where you can actually play one (there are a total of 6 listed for all of the US). Buying a $4k guitar on eBay without playing it first isn't an option for most. I considered buying a D'Aquisto Solo from Byrdland music, but it was special order with no return.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    I think the idea is that there are very few D'Aquisto dealers where you can actually play one (there are a total of 6 listed for all of the US). Buying a $4k guitar on eBay without playing it first isn't an option for most. I considered buying a D'Aquisto Solo from Byrdland music, but it was special order with no return.
    That's true. Last time I went to the local Guitar Center they had zero hollowbody electric guitars. Zero. So, it's just the reality we face playing a somewhat unpopular style of music. Classical musicians deal with the same situation. One of the things you have to consider is consistency in manufacturing, and Aria D'Aquistos are excellent in this regard, as are many of the Asian manufacturers. And, it's probably not a bad idea to request an audio sample of the instrument you are buying. I felt confident buying my guitar without playing it, but I understand your trepidation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by histind
    That's true. Last time I went to the local Guitar Center they had zero hollowbody electric guitars. Zero. So, it's just the reality we face playing a somewhat unpopular style of music. Classical musicians deal with the same situation. One of the things you have to consider is consistency in manufacturing, and Aria D'Aquistos are excellent in this regard, as are many of the Asian manufacturers. And, it's probably not a bad idea to request an audio sample of the instrument you are buying. I felt confident buying my guitar without playing it, but I understand your trepidation.
    Audio sample is important...but it is important also who play it...

User Info Menu

I’ve long been wondering what happened to Ed Benson’s ( publisher of now ceased “ Just Jazz Guitar “ magazine) Blonde New Yorker Special. This was one serial number before mine - and a fantastic sounding guitar that still resonates in my mind .

I know Ed sold the guitar shortly after receiving it - and If anyone knows the current owner - I’d love to be connected.

User Info Menu

Check with Jerry Simms at Simms music in Columbia SC. He knows a lot of people in that world

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtopjaz
    Check with Jerry Simms at Simms music in Columbia SC. He knows a lot of people in that world
    Thanks for the lead - I’ll reach out to Jerry.