User Info Menu

Just finished reading this excellent book about Motown's legendary bassist, James Jamerson.
    I enjoyed it so much I ordered copies for my brothers, who also play guitar and bass.
    Available on Amazon.com

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He was the man. His bass lines are etched into our subconscious.

User Info Menu

Jameson is an actual bona fide genius ...

i like the story when the various producers
    would come into the studio they'd hand out the charts to everyone
    But say to Jamerson "just do your thing"
    (they couldn't write anything as good as James would just
    come up with on the spot)

Yeah the book and CDs are really great

if I read and listen to it them too much ....
    it makes me wanna take up the bass !

User Info Menu

Born and raised inner city Detroit.Steeped in motown.A whole life later in another part of the planet.I ended up in a small southern town in Ga.where music is country and gospel.Went to a local video rental mom and pop place and of all things saw this video.Rented it and oh man i was raise and hung at some these places.It was the Doc. about the Funk Brothers.I started tearing up.Went out and bought several copies and gifted them out.Jameson was incrdible!

User Info Menu

jamerson loved those heavy flats...he put labella flats 52-110 on his 62 precision and never changed them again!!

labella was marketing a jamerson set but his fam sued!

cheers

User Info Menu

I read that book a good few years ago, but after this thread might take it down off the bookshelves again. It's a great read, and he was one of the all-time great players. Incredible, really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    Went to a local video rental mom and pop place and of all things saw this video.Rented it and oh man i was raise and hung at some these places.It was the Doc. about the Funk Brothers.I started tearing up.Went out and bought several copies and gifted them out.Jameson was incredible!
    Excellent DVD! I watched it several times.