Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

vian w miles...

“Every breath into my trumpet steals from my life”

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Miles was pretty much an endless supply of useless personal bullshit. He knew people put a lot of gravity on his opinions, so he liked to yank folk's chains for fun. Best to just make something up, and say he said it.

Miles Davis Quotes (Author of Miles)
    Ha! The man did seem to have something bordering on genius at manipulating his image. He knew the reactions he'd get to certain kinds of statements, and went there willingly---sometimes gleefully.

I do like much of what he has said about music. It was well-put, food for thought, and sometimes made me double-check my own perceived insights. That can help one grow. But then he'd contradict himself, sometimes in the same conversation!

I know it's a near-cliche, but the music still speaks the loudest. I put way more weight on that...

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Miles in '69. Very interesting to me. I saw him in the summer of 70 or possibly 71 at Shelley's Manhole (i think) in LA. I know for sure it was Jarret, DeJohnette, Airto and an electric bass player who I'm unsure of. The set started with DeJohnette drum solo, then Airto came on, bass joined, then Jarret and finally Miles. One long jam for the set. Seems to me it was a lot like the clip. Miles did look at the audience. I thought I saw laser beams shooting out of his eyes. I was sitting close and he kinda scared this small town Canadian white boy. He sure had a presence.

I remember how Airto just had all his stuff on a rug on the floor. Before the days of percussion tables and racks and so on. Before anybody knew what a Brazilian percussionist was.

They completely blew my little mind. Just wanted to share. It's a seminal moment in my life.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

in painting we can think of Da Vinci, Claude Monet or Matisse, in literature to Victor Hugo, in poetry to Aragon, in music actually to Beethoven, in jazz again Duke Ellington, where it is usual to distinguish periods, Coleman Hawkins, from Fletcher Henderson to Sonny Rollins through his active participation with young boppers and to the bossa-nova vogue, Jimmy Giuffre constantly changing, Coltrane... Others are more stable who establish very young the style that will characterize them all their lives, Sidney Bechet, Count Basie, Johnny Hodges, Thelonious Monk, Art Blakey, John Lewis MJQ...
    Hm.. I would not say that Monet and Coltrane were essentially changing.. of course if you look at the early Monet and his last paintings the difference may seem striking... but essentially they just developed the same thing all the time... they just got deeper and deeper into it...
    The same concerns Beethoven for sure for me...

But artists like Trane and Monet could be the symbols of stubborn dedication to the single aesthetic idea for me...

Chagall - mentioned somewhere above - is exceptional, I do not know any other like that in 20th century .... there was a short period of searches and then for decades he found that harmonious feel that he did not need to prove anything to anyone... full of humanity, wisdom, love, memory, passion.