The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

What gauge and brand of jazz strings do you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

one of the conditions of joining this forum is that we all use roundwound 08-38!!!

only kidding

a popular string here is the thomastik jazz swing flatwounds...check'em out

welcome aboard

cheers

User Info Menu

What he said...

User Info Menu

Hello,
    I would chose different string gauge for different scale length of course. The shorter the scale, the thicker strings can be, if you ask me... Jazz Guitar Strings Gauge and Brand?
    I personal love the Gibson scale, which should be 24,75”, if I remember right. For that scale, I love a set of 12-50 (medium) / Thomastik Jazz Swing / Flatwounds. Next time when I have to change my strings, I’ll checkt out the Thomastik Jazz BeBop roundwounds, also 12-50

User Info Menu

It depends on the guitar. I use either .012 or .013 sets, mostly D'Addario, but also GHS, Martin Retro, and sometimes others. The quest for the perfect string is neverending, like the quest for the perfect guitar. It's possible to find something that's perfect for awhile, but there's always something new to try.

User Info Menu

Here is the jazzguitar.be survey about it:

The Best Jazz Guitar Strings (Top 30) + Best Gauges/Wound

btw if one simply googles the search term [jazzguitar string] the referred article above should in the first few, and even the infographic diagrams should shown in google first page. How cool is that! This site is great, and even google knows its value
    Last edited by Gabor; 01-06-2020 at 12:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I wonder how old that survey is? Maybe needs a new kick-off?

User Info Menu

In Europe the Thomastiks are very easily available and they are cheaper than the D'Addario Chromes (Thomastik swings are round about 15 versus 20 Euros for the chromes). I still use the chromes because the set's gauges to me are better balanced – the low strings being bigger than in the Thomatik sets. When it's time for a change in a year or so I might just try the thomastiks again – only one gauge bigger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I wouldn't be surprised if it still holds water .. I mean the thomastiks have the most passionate and vocal supporters, but given that they are not readily available (most have to order online, so shipping comes into play) and that they're double the price of chromes it doesn't surprise me that in a broader survey the chromes turn out to be more popular.
    I started with Chromes, then tried almost all. Regarding flatwounds I prefer TI miles ahead Chromes.
    In respect of roundwounds I am very satisfied with the little known and few years old tiny market share D'Angelico Electrozinc. It is kinda you upgrade your PU or guitar... Material matters it seems.

User Info Menu

Hey Hobbs,
    Welcome to the Forum!

I've been using Stringjoy for a while -- they sound good and last a long time!

They also have an interesting "tension calculator," which -- as others have mentioned above -- takes into account the scale length of your guitar. [I recommend watching the video, and then playing with the calculator!]

Good luck!

Marc

Just what I was looking for... Thanks fellas! I’m bumping to to .012 gauge, and figured there was a group consensus on a preference. I’m gonna give the Thomasticks and/or Chromes a try.

User Info Menu

I used flatwound TI Swing 13's for years but now I'm mostly using roundwound Bebop 13's for my archtop. Flats with a HB are a bit lifeless for me and can be too dark through large speakers, but flats with a CC can sound pretty sweet. It comes down to the whole package though: your touch, your pick, your strings, your pickup, your guitar, your amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hey Hobbs,
    Welcome to the Forum!

I've been using Stringjoy for a while -- they sound good and last a long time!

They also have an interesting "tension calculator," which -- as others have mentioned above -- takes into account the scale length of your guitar. [I recommend watching the video, and then playing with the calculator!]

Good luck!

Marc
    I've just been trying these lately and all you say is correct.

That tension calculator is a really nice find...thank you!

Anyone mixing sets on a bolt on neck should note the foot pound differences between .010's and .013's!

User Info Menu

I'm using TI Bebop 11s now.

User Info Menu

just for info...tho d'addario chromes are more readily available stateside and cost much less...but they are stainless steel strings...thomastiks are european made with a double wrap of soft pure nickel on a round core...much much different design..and much more expensive to make

here's what indie handwound string maker gabriel tenorio - the Gabriel Tenorio String Company -says about the benefits of pure nickel

Pure Nickel

This is my new favorite thing. I’m exploring this pure metal wrap and thoroughly enjoying it. As a string maker, pure nickel is a joy to make for its feel, weight, and strength.

Pure nickel (99.96% Ni) has a 50% higher density weight than nickel plated steel (8% Ni)

Pure Nickel also costs about 4-5 times more than nickel steel.

Pure Nickel will produce a stronger signal

A pure metal wrap wire, as opposed to a plated wire, produces richer harmonics and well articulated overtones as well as fundamental

Nickel is durable, but will mellow with extended use/over time. This is where pure nickel tends to sit for the majority of its lifespan. The signal is not weakened in any way, only the higher frequencies are rolled off in the basses.

and heres what pickup and string company throbak has to say-

Although the pure Nickel wire raises our cost by more than 60% over Nickel plated steel, pure Nickel is the only way to produce the tone, feel and response of classic pure Nickel strings. Pure Nickel strings emphasize the fundamental of the picked note. Combined with a classic round core, pure Nickel electric guitar strings have a round, clear tone with a warm edge.

and both above are talking about vs. nickel plated steel!! which is still costlier than plain stainless steel! and warmer toned..due to the nickel coating

pure nickel has huge merits..but at a premium cost...only european makers thomastik and pyramid make pure nickel round inner core flats

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-05-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: sp-

Great stuff! I’m looking to improve the acoustic sound of my archtop. I’ve got two kiddies under two, so my time plugging into the Hot Rod Deluxe is limited. Pure nickel sounds like a winner.

User Info Menu

I know nothing about the businesses quoted, but I'm always just a little bit skeptical about any claims made by anyone trying to sell a product. And they're obviously trying to sell. I used pure nickel strings for a long time, but on a whim I bought some nickel-plated steel strings, and found that I prefer the tone, which sounds somehow richer to me. I also get better string volume balance across my DeArmond pickup. String preference is very much a subjective subject.

User Info Menu

^ of course! trust your own ears..just trying to demystify some differences between strings for you all...

there are facts there however, do with them as you wish..hah

its design & cost, not speculation!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-06-2020 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    Anyone mixing sets on a bolt on neck should note the foot pound differences between .010's and .013's!
    just pounds, not foot-pounds ?.

User Info Menu

Neatomic, do you know which are the lowest tension jazzstrings?

User Info Menu

try thomastiks...the flatwound jazz swings have thin inner round cores and double wrap of pure nickel...so very soft and tension free feeling...

their roundwound bebops are great too

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Should I order tin or brass plated TI jazz swings ?

same price ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Should I order tin or brass plated TI jazz swings ?

same price ....
    its just a very thin plating...no real difference in tone...more to do with corrosion and body chemistry...

tin is the most common...and it keeps the visual uniformity of the strings silver looking!! haha

some people say the brass is a bit brighter..but...even if..the plating wears quickly

maxima uses gold plating...and pyramids silver!

cheers

User Info Menu

IME the choice should be based on your preference for looks. The tone is the same. The plating is just to prevent rust and corrosion from contact with your fingers. So decide based on whether you prefer brass or silver colored plain strings.