The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

Nope, you cant say Tim Learch or Ted Greene, or Ted Bickert, Lenny Breau.

I also see test of Les Pauls, standards or customs, and im just annoyed they dont use those guitars to play jazz. Damn overdriven sounds.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Chris Crocco!

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell, Julian Lage, Mike Stern, maybe Al DiMeola. Pat Metheny when he plays guitar synth. Eldon Shamblin? Pat Martino at one point in his career. Jim Hall played a Les Paul on "Good Friday Blues", but that wasn't usual for him.

One problem I have in naming players here is that I don't have a very well-bounded idea of what "jazz" is. I am also somewhat out of touch with the very youngest players - some of the players in the Hancock Institute's recent Jazz Guitar competition appeared to be playing solidbodies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by man-argentina
    Nope, you cant say Tim Learch or Ted Greene, or Ted Bickert, Lenny Breau.
    Lorne Lofsky out of Toronto.

User Info Menu

Adam Rogers, Ulf Wakenius and Nir Felder are the first names that comes to mind.

User Info Menu

John Abercrombie also used several different solid guitars.

User Info Menu

Benson and Hall put in their time on a Les Paul. Even Les Paul tried one.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass.

User Info Menu

John Stowell plays almost 'bodiless' guitar)) and sounds like an traditional archtop

User Info Menu

In the UK, Dave Cliff. Also Jim Mullen played a tele for a long time.

User Info Menu

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell, John McLaughlin, Wayne Krantz, Bruce Bartlett, Steve Masakowski, Charlie Hunter, Robin Ford. Do I count?

I didn't buy my first Archtop until 18 months ago. Before that I used my 85 MIJ Contemporary Strat the most, a 99 MIM Tele and a Sheraton II. These were the guitars I used when I was studying with Charlie Banacos, and he never said anything about them. I just rolled the treble back, used the neck pickup and sounded fine. I did some recordings with them too. But I should mention I wasn't playing any Jazz Gigs at that time either.

User Info Menu

Ulf Wakenius (solo starting at 3:58):

User Info Menu

Another video featuring Ulf Wakenius playing his Aria Les Paul copy:

User Info Menu

Rune Gustafsson used a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop equipped with P-90 pickups during a long time in his career. Here’s a duo recording from 1980 with Gustafsson and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen.

User Info Menu

pat martino and billy butler used L5-s

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    pat martino and billy butler used L5-s

cheers
    Cool, only saw Billy w/ an acoustic Epi and his Super 400.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if he owned this '60 Les Paul Standard or borrowed it for this European tour but here's a young George Benson tearing it up w/the great Jack Mcduff quartet.

User Info Menu

Same circumstances w/ the underrated Quentin Warren, not certain if he borrowed the Strat for the European tour because he was afraid of bringing his prized custom L-5 overseas.

User Info Menu

Jazz guitar players with solid guitars?-p-jpg
    Looks like lots of us!

User Info Menu

I am not familiar with Ted Bickert, but his Canadian cousin Ed Bickert is pretty amazing.

Another solid body jazz guitarist to consider is Clint Strong, who often played a Les Paul. And don't forget Howard Roberts, Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis both played Telecasters in the studio, albeit typically on rock sessions rather than jazz recordings. There's a clip of Geo. Benson playing a Strat somewhere on YouTube. Frisell, of course. Al DiMeola. I think McLaughlin has been mentioned.

User Info Menu

Benson playing a Strat somewhere on YouTube.
    I think it was not strat but some kind of Ibanez RG type guitar... not sure though.

User Info Menu

Allan Holdsworth

Chuck Loeb (Sadowsky Strat)

User Info Menu

Stanley Jordan, David Gilmore, Frank Gambale,