Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bozgol
    Stanley Jordan, David Gilmore, Frank Gambale,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Paul Bollenback plays a Borys Jazz Solid, and so do I.

User Info Menu

Jack Grassel........from years w/ a Bluesbird to years w/ a LP Artisan........and good stuff throughout !

Jazz guitar players with solid guitars?-s-l225-jpg

User Info Menu

Thank you citizen74!

And me ;-) (I play Jazz on an Archtop and solid Sadowski Strat, too).

btw: I anybody wonders how to get a jazzy tone from a solid body guitar, here are some hints by Tim Lerch:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Cool, only saw Billy w/ an acoustic Epi and his Super 400.
    That's the guitar Billy used when we played the show "Hair" together way back when.
    When I asked him which guitar he used to play on his jazz albums with Stitt, he got all excited, and started telling me about his Super 400. He obviously loved that guitar.

User Info Menu

Looks like he mighta had a couple of them....

User Info Menu

Here's a shot of Billy w/his old Epi Broadway w/the Harlemaires.
    That's the late Dottie Smith holding the brushes, she was an excellent singer I had the priveledge of working with many times. Back in the day [way before my time] all the cats had a thing for her.
    I wasn't able to copy the pic but here's a link if interested....

HARLEMAIRES US jazz group about 1950 with Billy Butler second from Stock Photo: 19506386 - Alamy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Is this Jazz?

Les Paul into a pair of Twins with a bit of delay?
    Last edited by Bach5G; 12-22-2019 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

John Etheridge
    Jazz guitar players with solid guitars?-johnetheridge1-jpg

User Info Menu

^ wm's billy butler epi pic

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

^ wm's billy butler epi pic

cheers
    Thanks NA, Dottie was something, highly respected, was also Louis Jordan's singer for a few yrs, then had her own nightclub in Philly back in the day, the Sahara, everyone that was anyone worked there, legendary club.
    But her and the Sahara are largely forgotten today except for the old heads

User Info Menu

I only saw one mention or pic of a PRS solid, but I’ve seen them by jazzers. Not household name folks, but guys that do it for a living. Always good tones, and as versatile as any others. Leo thought his Jazzmaster was pretty good for, um, jazz. I can coax nice tones out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Oscar Moore

User Info Menu

Manu Codjia plays a François Vendramini solid body

His solo starts just after 9:50, but I suggest you listen to the whole video, if you don't mind listening to fine french musicians

User Info Menu

Nguyen Le plays a Julien Gendre solid body
    With Henri Texier :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    That’s a cool video! I’ve never heard of him before. What kind of effect does he use at 05:41?
    Chorus pedal.

User Info Menu

Marc Ducret, here with his François Vendramini signature model guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Manu Codjia plays a François Vendramini solid body

His solo starts just after 9:50, but I suggest you listen to the whole video, if you don't mind listening to fine french musicians

I remember Henri from Phil Woods' European Rhythm Machine records back in the 70s. Henri, Daniel Humair and George Gruntz/Gordon Beck made a superb group supporting Woods.
    Fantastic flute solo on that first tune. In the arts, there are the French, and then there are everybody else.

User Info Menu

big henri texier fan...his early recordings are great..(amir, vareche, a cordes et a cris, etc...) sometimes just him on ac bass and his wordless vocalizing along...understated but wonderful...he cut some great tracks with abercrombie as well

manu codjia has such a light touch..beautiful player...like a gentler holdsworth

good stuff

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woyvel
    I only saw one mention or pic of a PRS solid, but I’ve seen them by jazzers. Not household name folks, but guys that do it for a living. Always good tones, and as versatile as any others. Leo thought his Jazzmaster was pretty good for, um, jazz. I can coax nice tones out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At one of the later jazz jams where I first got my feet wet, I took my PRS CU24 and my DRRI. I got gobs of unsolicited compliments on the tones, as well as on my playing (which may have been just politeness, but I'll take it ).

Paul Reed Smith & Co. build a heckuva guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    At one of the later jazz jams where I first got my feet wet, I took my PRS CU24 and my DRRI. I got gobs of unsolicited compliments on the tones, as well as on my playing (which may have been just politeness, but I'll take it ).
    good tone is as much about the player as technique...so take the compliments well!!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

FYI there was a similar thread on this forum some time ago... if you search you can probably find it. I recall mentioning Steve Erquiaga and Clint Strong using Les Pauls for jazz.