The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

The videos of the u-bass make it seem like it's not a novelty, but rather, a real bass that would be useful in a group.

Opinions?

(I've wanted to play bass, but my arthritic hands aren't up to playing the usual choices).

Kala U-Bass-kala-u-bass-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a friend who gigs with them regularly, not jazz though. He has a uke body and a small solidbody. The bottom end is impressive. The small scale can make it challenging to navigate, but there are pros that are using them. The real breakthrough that made them viable was the new string technology.

I almost got one years ago, but already have a Precision bass clone and didn't want to get sucked further down the bass rabbit hole, it is addicting and makes you consider ditching guitar and switching fulltime....beware.

User Info Menu

I attended a workshop a few years ago with a name player who was asked about the practical difficulties involved with touring with a double bass, he was on the European festival circuit for the summer & had arrived at this particular festival the previous day & been given 4 basses from the local music school to choose from, one of which had a nasty split taped over with gaffer tape.

I played a tape of me playing a Kala Ubass specifically saying I wasn't looking for a free lesson & whilst comments / advice about my time feel, note choices etc would be welcome I was a guitar player & what I was really asking about was the sound I was getting.

He offered some helpful advice, said he could tell I was a guitar player ('they always play too much'), said less is more, feel the time, you don't always have to play every chord, delay or anticipate the changes more, see what happens when you don't play a chord tone, listen to the other players more....he didn't mention the sound so I asked again, I wasn't trying to be a smart arse, just get a pro's honest reaction - he said it was hard to tell from a mobile phone in a lecture theatre but I was in tune & sound was a personal thing anyway - I sounded fine, he'd played gigs with a worse sound than that, It was really up to me, what did I think of the sound, what did my band mates say ?

User Info Menu

A bass player brought a fretless one to the jam I attend. The sound was pretty good, but it seems very difficult to intonate cleanly (this guy is a very good upright player, so that wasn't the issue). I'm somewhat tempted to get one. I have a beat-to-hell Silvertone/Danelectro short scale, but even that feels unwieldy, and takes up a lot space in our small apt, and a (fretted) u-bass would solve a lot of problems.

John

User Info Menu

I thought about it, since I wanted a bass and I've been playing Tenor Uke for a couple of years now.
    In the end I got a Fender Mustang PJ Bass (30" scale), and I'm very happy with it.
    Ibanez has a short-scale bass called a Mikro that's not much bigger than a Strat with a 28.6" scale:
    Under $200 and supposed to be quite decent, but I've never tried one.

User Info Menu

I've talked to a lot of bassists about these ukulele basses, and the concensus was that they sounded more like an upright than a Fender bass. Usually more welcome at a bluegrass jam, too.

User Info Menu

the silicon/rubber strings can be a bit tough to adjust too..they are very "rubbery"! haha...and intonation can be tricky..but there are metal plated strings available now as well...that would probably serve a guitarist using one better

here's some kala string options-

U•BASS(R) Strings – Kala Brand Music Co.

cheers

User Info Menu

I was spectator at a jazz gig where a fella was playing one - sounded very good and more like an upright than an electric.

User Info Menu

Everything you were afraid to ask Kala U-Bass Review - Ultimate Buying Guide (2019) - Idogo Music

This site has some other interesting bass related pages

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the silicon/rubber strings can be a bit tough to adjust too..they are very "rubbery"! haha...and intonation can be tricky..but there are metal plated strings available now as well...that would probably serve a guitarist using one better

here's some kala string options-

U•BASS(R) Strings – Kala Brand Music Co.

cheers
    The uke basses never used silicone strings like those old Dearmond Ashbory basses from 20+ years ago. Those were tough to use, tune, etc., needed to use cornstarch or baby powder, very quirky.

When the ubass was developed and introduced by Kala, they had developed a polyurethane based string technology that overcame all the downside of the silicone strings and was key to making a viable instrument. They are not rubbery at all. The metal wound strings are over the new string material, so it's really just another flavor.

User Info Menu

Sounds great...I'm no bass player, but I'll do a video soon.

Just had a question for anybody who knows these things...this was supposed to ship with the "rubber" strings, but I think it's got the roundwounds? See if the picture helps.

Kala U-Bass-20200425_195400-jpg

Kala U-Bass-20200425_195355-jpg

User Info Menu

hey congrats...you got lucky with the strings...they hold tune better..nylon with silver plating...kind of like some gitane strings

a kalu bass/ kay guitar split screen in the works i hope!

haha

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Ah, so those are the rounds...

They got flats now too. Think I'll try those soon...but these do hold tune perfectly, and they're not too crazy flexible so the intonation is good.

I'll do a video soon enough. Gotta start thinking like a bass player. But I played the only two basslines I know tonight, and it sounded great (another one bites the dust and the intro to I want you back)

User Info Menu

well with piezo pickups it doesn't matter what kind of strings you use...it picks up the moving vibrations of the strings, not any kind of magnetic output...so you could just as well use rubber bands...

so i'd work with what feels and sounds best while playing acoustically...if you want room volume...you probably have the best strings on there.. metallic rounds!!!...

piezos won't really pick up nuance of flats...tho they probably would sound thuddy cool acoustically...i see galli strings of italy makes them!!...nice

experiment

cheers

User Info Menu

Acoustic bass guitars are great in jams, as a diversion from guitar, or as a primary instrument. Those Kala U’s are a gas to play. I’ve only seen them with the synthetic rubber band strings. I wonder how the tension compares between those and the round wounds. I’d be a bit concerned about long term integrity of the bridge and top if the tension is too high. The rubber strings have a great thump. I have a full size acoustic bass with flat wounds on it. It always makes me smile when I pick it up.

User Info Menu

I had one for a week before selling it. I thought it was the greatest thing ever for two days, then started getting unsure, and by the end of the week I just had to go back to bass guitars. But they are remarkable little things, and a lot of people absolutely love them. Mine was fretless, with the rubber strings. The upright sound was impressive.

User Info Menu

I know a couple bassists that use them on some gigs, with the polyurethane strings. Super bottom end, like an upright.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    Acoustic bass guitars are great in jams, as a diversion from guitar, or as a primary instrument. Those Kala U’s are a gas to play. I’ve only seen them with the synthetic rubber band strings. I wonder how the tension compares between those and the round wounds. I’d be a bit concerned about long term integrity of the bridge and top if the tension is too high. The rubber strings have a great thump. I have a full size acoustic bass with flat wounds on it. It always makes me smile when I pick it up.
    These are specifically made for Kala, so they should be ok...nylon string wrapped in metal.

I think I will try the flats...might be the perfect compromise as far as getting a nice thuddy tone but not feeling weird and spongey.

User Info Menu

I bought a really cheap copy. Never was able to get the geometry/frets/neck playable. Should have bought a Kala.

User Info Menu

I posted this in the rhythm guitar thread too, but heres my first take recording with the lil bastard.

User Info Menu

I thought the rubber strings were the point? I didn't know they made more normal strings. Always curious about these, but I kind of already have the full size mini acoustic, an old short scale thin guild that I got tape wound strings for and never installed.

Doesn't sound too bad