The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Not in my charts you can’t boyo

I write a triad I mean a triad.
    I think you ought to sign a pledge saying you won't nerd people unless they specifically ask you to do so.

No smiley.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    I don't have a vertical straight line on my laptop keyboard---so I'll just put a space between changes and bars. That oughtta be clear...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    If only there was a clear standard. Only a dream.
    Ha ha!!

...and a DOLLAR...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    While we at it, no #11 on dom 7th chords- it's b5 for God's sake! On the guitar, anyway. You think anyone is going to play #11 and natural 5th at the same time on the guitar??

So like C7b5, not C7#11, pls.
    Why do you assume a chart wasn't written for piano, say?

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I see no mention yet of the Roman numerals where for instance you have IV as the major four chord, and you might want to indicate D/A# to mean D major over A# in the bass.

Does the note under the slash take its Roman numeral from the key or from the chord above the slash, and do those numbers abide by the diatonic note letter names of the key signature?

Is it IV/bIII (where the bIII is with reference to the root of the key chord I (G))

or IV/bVII (where the bVII is with reference to the root of the IV)

and should whichever is the correct numeral be changed and accidental(s) adjusted if the context is key of G (sharp key) to IV/#II or IV/#VI?
    You're getting into figured bass---which I would love, but charts aren't written like that, sadly.

On a related topic I usually will indicate the change of one voice in the harmony thus: write the 1st chord out, then one voice over the time---ex: C Min, #7, b7-----etc. It's related to figured bass (b/c it's telling you the top voice movement over an established bottom) and so much less cumbersome on the eyes...

User Info Menu

Note:

There's stuff about that triangle code on the previous page, in case you're here and missed it.

User Info Menu

I read charts done all kinds of ways. And, if there was suddenly a revolution so that everybody goes forward with the same notation system, well, I'd still have to read the same charts.

Once you learn the various systems it doesn't really take any effort to figure out what's going on.

All that said, I wouldn't mind if I never saw M for minor again, and have to search the chart to find a Ma, to make sure I know what's what.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It didn't. So, in the absence of the right software, the hex code has to be entered directly first time - like this:

?

Voila.

The hex code is

&#96x51;

(Remove the x)

That's:

ampersand, hash, 9, 6, 5, 1, semi-colon.

See how nice I am to you?
    All true! But just to be anal, that is Unicode in decimal format. In hexadecimal, that is △

User Info Menu

To be honest, I wouldn't know. Where I got it from said it was hex. And it worked. So I looked no further.

Wouldn't it be simpler if we just asked Dirk to include the triangle as a recognised symbol? If that's possible to do, of course.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't it be simpler if we just asked Dirk to include the triangle as a recognised symbol? If that's possible to do, of course.
    Yes. Then we can have a separate sticky celebration thread!

User Info Menu

I've asked Dirk about it via a PM. Let's see what he says.

User Info Menu

I've asked Dirk about it via a PM. Let's see what he says.
    Thanks, it's worth a shot. It may be buried in code, so I couldn't say how easy it is to fix.

User Info Menu

I think you ought to sign a pledge saying you won't nerd people unless they specifically ask you to do so.

No smiley.
    No smiley! OMG.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Thanks, it's worth a shot. It may be buried in code, so I couldn't say how easy it is to fix.
    There is an ASCII triangle sign but you have to mess about with the number pad or something. Far too complicated when it's easier just to write M7.

In fact there are plenty of ways to write this pesky thing - I just found another one - but they'd all have the same problem of non-transference.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    No smiley! OMG.
    Yes that was a bit harsh ...

l D-7 G7 l Cmaj9. l

oh that's good , you can use a small L ie. l
    if you don't have the line |

looks similar ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    l D-7 G7 l Cmaj9. l

oh that's good , you can use a small L ie. l
    if you don't have the line |

looks similar ....
    Depending on your font:

l D-7 G7 l CMaj9 l (Courier New -- you may see another font)

User Info Menu

Big Daddy -

It's highly doubtful the site is fonted in anything but Ariel, Times New Roman, or something like that... why is your computer coming up with Courier New?

User Info Menu

All modern browsers that I'm familiar with (and I haven't used any of Microsoft's products in decades) allow the user to set the default fonts that will be used for display on the system in use. You can also allow sites to use their own fonts if you want, or force your selection as you desire. The world of computer fonts is totally and completely muddled, and the deeper you get into it the murkier it gets. The bottom line is that if you see garbage characters on the screen, it means you don't have the proper font installed for displaying the text.

User Info Menu

Big Daddy -

It's highly doubtful the site is fonted in anything but Ariel, Times New Roman, or something like that... why is your computer coming up with Courier New?
    In the reply editorm the top menu has a font drop down. Take a look -- I see Courier New, and my response used it, You may have another fixed-width font substituted for it.

Peeking at the page source, I saw this for what I wrote:

Code:
    <span style="font-family: courier new">l D-7 G7 l CMaj9 l (Courier New -- you may see another font)</span>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    All modern browsers that I'm familiar with (and I haven't used any of Microsoft's products in decades) allow the user to set the default fonts that will be used for display on the system in use. You can also allow sites to use their own fonts if you want, or force your selection as you desire. The world of computer fonts is totally and completely muddled, and the deeper you get into it the murkier it gets. The bottom line is that if you see garbage characters on the screen, it means you don't have the proper font installed for displaying the text.
    I was pointing out that using a lowercase L doesn't always work because it doesn't look like a vertical line in many fonts.

So it's not a case of unrecognized characters, so much as misrecognized characters.

User Info Menu

Yes, it's that too. I wasn't replying directly to you, but that can be difficult to recognize using only text and with time lags. Fonts not only cannot display every character, but display characters differently. That seems obvious to me.

User Info Menu

Big Daddy -

Yes, I should have seen that. But I wouldn't choose Courier New, looks like an old typewriter with the ribbon on the way out.

Comic Sans is much more fun.

And Impact is BOLD!

User Info Menu

But I notice when I come back to it that the normal font has re-established itself. Thank god

User Info Menu

But I notice when I come back to it that the normal font has re-established itself. Thank god
    Whew! This thread has signs and symbols. What's left? Portents?