The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Check out undercurrent by bill Evans and Jim hall.

also check out I have the room above her by the Paul motian trio.
    That album cover is one of my favorites.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here are two I like to play, as well as listen too: Alone Together and Invitation.

User Info Menu

Another favorite I’ve not mentioned yet is this Emily Remler recording below. A masterpiece!

User Info Menu

Here's a couple of my favorites:

There's a great version of Deep Song on Alexander Claffy's "Standards: What Are you Doing For the Rest Of Your Life?", blending Kurt Rosenwinkel's arrangement with vocals by Veronica Swift.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    ECM Records is a very unique label in contemporary music business. No label will ever beat them in terms of aesthetic quality and artistic production, not even Deutsche Grammophon or Blue Note Records. ”Dark, introspective, slow” are adjectives I’m generally associating with the ECM sound. Heavy plate reverb combined with classical and traditional folk music harmonies really defines this beautiful soundscape. It’s ”there”, no matter what recording you’re listening to. Manfred Eicher is a genius.
    aesthetic is an hard theme.
    And probably you don’t know on what you’re talking about.
    I disagree with you, I don’t like at all ecm and i don’t recommend to listen any of those album
    my opinion
    Last edited by archtopdream63; 11-05-2019 at 08:54 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Send in the clowns is a dark introspective show tune.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Listing the probably most iconic three jazz legends of an era then continuing with himself... wow.
    If I try to come up with a name I can not figure out anyone who fits as the fourth, especially not by self promotion.

(Larry Coryell: Monk, Trane, Miles & Me),
    btw the referred Alone Together is surprisingly enjoyable.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    aesthetic is an hard theme.
    And probably you don’t know on what you’re talking about.
    I disagree with you, I don’t like at all ecm and i don’t recommend to listen any of those album
    my opinion
    I was about to arguing a bit with Bbmaj7#5#9 unconditional love with ECM, but reading your statements as a reply to Bbmaj7#5#9, now I am finding myself in the ECM defending side...

Although I agree with you about aesthetics is a hard theme, I found your statements a bit harsh.
    ECM was who released Bright Size Life 43 years ago which is now part of the jazz legacy. Also countless Keith Jarrett recordings belongs to ECM. Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, Billy Higgins, Jack DeJohnette, Dewey Redman, Michael Brecker, Chick Corea also on your ignored and not recommended listening list.

(Not talking about the classical recordings, especially András Schiff many Bach and Beethoven live recordings. In case anyone interested in Bach and knows Gould’s recordings, try to listen Schiff on ECM at least a few times, maybe will found it’s a new cornerstone. And also it is not dark, much more light compared to Gould)

Back to the dark. I do not think all ECM is dark, for example Rejoicing
    Well, there are hundreds of ECM recordings featuring less known musicians, I always think those recordings as cold, and not dark or sad, which does not fits for me. I accept sadness, and joy in any music, but not coldness, and I feel it, like this is a driving attribute when ECM picks less known artists.
    Last edited by Gabor; 11-06-2019 at 11:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Cindy Walker wrote all sorts of songs, and a lot of them, many for Bob Wills. Going Away Party is one of the lost love songs, which seem to dominate country music.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Grant Green - Idle Moments

User Info Menu

Grant Green - Maybe Tomorrow

User Info Menu

Horace Silver - Calcutta Cutie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor

(Larry Coryell: Monk, Trane, Miles & Me),
    btw the referred Alone Together is surprisingly enjoyable.
    Hey, I wouldn't have posted Alone Together if it wasn't one of Coryell's best recordings (ha ha).

But yea, I enjoy this album and what I feel is a more "mature" (maybe refined is better?), playing by Larry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Cindy Walker wrote all sorts of songs, and a lot of them, many for Bob Wills. Going Away Party is one of the lost love songs, which seem to dominate country music.

You Don't know Me, Bubbles in my Beer, Dream Baby, Just Walking out the Door. also come to mind.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Frank Morgan - Lullaby.

About as laid back and gorgeous as there is.

User Info Menu

I was surprised to find that two of my favorite songs in the dark 'n moody category -- Ill Wind and What'll I do -- are actually written in major keys -- Bb and C, respectively. (Thank you, Mr. Google.)

Maybe I should start another thread listing major-key tunes that just sound like minor-key laments. Then again, these songs are basically inseparable in my mind with the classic Sinatra versions, so maybe my ears just need to get out more!

User Info Menu

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

User Info Menu

Check out Steve Khan's arrangement of "Little Sunflower".

User Info Menu

Invitation is a dark and introspective tune using minor 9ths;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Check out Steve Khan's arrangement of "Little Sunflower".

Interestingly I am not finding this dark. The melody is going up, multiple points minor to major harmony progression it associates light coming up. The harmonies are dissonant, but dissonant does not necessary dark for me. Also some quart chords al la McCoy are shiny not dark.