The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

I’m getting ready to release and record four CDs worth of jazz standards. Half have been recorded already. Early November we’re going to record another 20 odd tunes. What do you think I should record?

The plan is to release four volumes over the course of 2020. I’ll probably have enough for a volume 5. I don’t want to get ahead of my skis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is physical product even relevant anymore? Biggest market seems to be selling them at shows, as long as you're gigging.

User Info Menu

Whether it’s a physical product or not. I find that it’s still important. At least it was for my last release. Radio and print prefer CDs.

User Info Menu

Humpty Dumpty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    Humpty Dumpty
    Man! I took that off the list!

User Info Menu

Looking forward to them, Henry. An album or two dedicated to Torch Songs, man! The Torchier, the better.

User Info Menu

I wish I could suggest something. These days, it seems like to me it does not matter when it comes to Jazz, since the artistic interpretation is so critical. I might hear one version from an artist, and not like it, while another artist's version knocks my socks off.Regardless, I am definitely interested in hearing what you and that great rhythm section come up with.Best of luck!

User Info Menu

torch songs? - i've just been reading damon runyon - he mentions torch songs - and speaks of 'carrying the torch'. see 'the snatching of bookie bob' from more than somewhat :

'Well, naturally, we finally get around to torch songs, as guys who are singing in quartet are bound to do, especially at four o'clock in the morning, a torch song being a song which guys sing when they have the big burnt-up feeling inside themselves over a battle with their dolls.
    When a guy has a battle with his doll, such as his sweetheart, or even his ever-loving wife, he certainly feels burnt up inside himself, and can scarcely think of anything much. In fact, I know guys who are carrying the torch to walk ten miles and never now they go an inch. It is surprising how much ground a guy can cover just walking around and about, wondering if his doll is out with some other guy, and everybody knows that at four o'clock in the morning the torch is hotter than at any other time of the day.')

that kind of torch song?

anyway - a suggestion?
    how about

my ship

here's a cool version:

User Info Menu

wow - just heard this for the first time - the sweep of that last phrase is very beautiful

and there's Johnny hartman with barry galbraith on guitar

i'm just on a 'my ship' trip - excuse me

User Info Menu

LOL. I love My Ship. Miles' version wins my heart.

User Info Menu

New Rhumba

Gloomy Sunday

Skating In Central Park

User Info Menu

The general vibe is not torch songs or ballads. Modern bop I’d say. Moment s Notice, Donna Lee. Stella for sure

User Info Menu

Shadow of your Smile , Man that got Away, Nearness of You - three current favs - oops didnt see the last post

Will

User Info Menu

Shadow of your smile is definitely on the list. But I like playing it as a swing tune.

User Info Menu

Not a bop tune, but how about The End Of A Love Affair? I like it for its unconventional 40 bar form. On some versions they play it as AABAA during solos until each soloist's last chorus when they use the head's AABAC form. Dexter (album "Dexter Calling") played it with a double time feel. Maybe check out the Billy Bean "The Trio" version and tell me if that doesn't get you wanting to play this tune?

User Info Menu

Watch What Happens - Michel LeGrand

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DerekD
    Watch What Happens - Michel LeGrand
    I’m a member of a local swing orchestra and that song is a part of our main repertoire. It’s a lovely song with beautiful harmonies and modulations.

User Info Menu

Watch What Happens. Yeah. It's been a long time since I've play that one. I'm not a huge fan of bossas. There are some songs that sound too much like a cocktail lounge jazz group. Nothing against the tune. Great tune. My aunt used to play it all the time. And so did I in the beginning. I tend to be harder edged, I think. Along Came Betty, I Hear a Rhapsody, It Could Happen To You, Invitation as a swing.

User Info Menu

But now it’s in my head. Maybe Watch What Happens. Lol.

User Info Menu

What about ”Minor Swing”?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    What about ”Minor Swing”?
    Hm. Too guitaristic. It’s like I already recorded Nuages but I don’t know. Too guitar. I’m not really a guitar guy guitar player. Does that make sense? I’m more Rollins, Coltrane, Miles. The tradition of jazz rather than the tradition of jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Hm. Too guitaristic. It’s like I already recorded Nuages but I don’t know. Too guitar. I’m not really a guitar guy guitar player. Does that make sense? I’m more Rollins, Coltrane, Miles. The tradition of jazz rather than the tradition of jazz guitar.

Countdown!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Countdown!
    LOL!! Way above my pay grade!!!

User Info Menu

I thought about Giant Steps, but at the last minute I know I’d chicken out and do it as a bossa. I’m considering Lazy Bird, Moments Notice and Grand Central Station though!

User Info Menu

Would love to hear you doing Very Early and Pork Pie Hat

Will