Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

.....My current barber - -young and female - never saw one of these, so I printed it out and gave it to her today.....Remember Those Vintage Haircut Charts Barbers had on the Wall ??-barber-jpg.
    I added that 'this was pre-Beatles, of course', but that didn't seem to help much........

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The barbershop in Brooklyn where I go to has this on the wall! It's called Tomcats, and specializes in vintage style 'dos. It started as a rockabilly shop, but now every style conscious musician goes there. Super cool!

User Info Menu

cheers

User Info Menu

Remember Those Vintage Haircut Charts Barbers had on the Wall ??-ddcabec90bfc78256ac9fd7878288092-jpg

70s!

User Info Menu

I remember those on the barber shop wall when I was a kid. Talk about a flashback!
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Executive contour, 70s, lol

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I heard the mullet will be back in 2020, but until then, the millenial style chart.....

User Info Menu

This will be back in 2057?

Remember Those Vintage Haircut Charts Barbers had on the Wall ??-rockabilly-men-hair-jpg

User Info Menu

I can't tell any diff between 'Executive' and 'Professional' Contour. Or any of the others really. Look at our progress since then!

Let it be a ray of hope to anyone who feels it's all going to shit.
    Last edited by ccroft; 10-05-2019 at 02:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Not forgetting...

The Chairman

Remember Those Vintage Haircut Charts Barbers had on the Wall ??-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Not forgetting...

The Chairman

He should be in a psychobilly band!
    Remember Those Vintage Haircut Charts Barbers had on the Wall ??-psychobilly-jpg

User Info Menu

Barbershops are springing up all over town, because the millennials' preferred styles – shaved back and sides with sculpted tops – require regular maintenance. Besides, a haircut is one thing you cannot get on Internet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    ...Besides, a haircut is one thing you cannot get on Internet.
    You've not transacted online? I have had lots of haircuts.

User Info Menu

I understand the Peaky Blinder is now all the rage:
    Attached Images Attached Images Remember Those Vintage Haircut Charts Barbers had on the Wall ??-8603d90a-81aa-491c-9594-cb0fd1d92fd6-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Not forgetting...

The Chairman

That's a nice cap - wonder what his hair do looks beneath it....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

The original Cassette had the full Barber's sign as a cover...can't seem to find that image online but the music's worth a listen...great 70's afro-cuban rebooted. the original albums are the best but this stuff still works...as a side note the worst haircut I ever had was in Togo (where the original guitarist's from) - orange handled kitchen scissors, a fight between the two barbers & the police being called - I didn't have a haircut for a few years after that...

User Info Menu

I went full hipster about a year ago. I used to get my hair cut at Great Clips. Like Ross Perot, I thought haircuts were something one shouldn't spend too much time or money on. But, a couple of cool shops opened up nearby with a hipster/retro vibe. One even offers you a cocktail before the haircut. I decided to check them out and got hooked. So now I go with a fade on top and a full beard--kind of like "the dapper" above. I like having short hair especially on the back and sides that is easy to deal with, and well a beard means never having to say you're shaving. It is a bit pricier than Great Clips, though they spend about twice as long as any barber I've had before. I think it looks pretty good; well I do the best with what I have. (I still have all my own hair and teeth, so I guess I'm ahead of the game.) The other thing with the hipster barbershops is that they remind me of my grandfather's shop, which coincidentally is still in the same location where he started working in 1930 (though currently boarded up and for sale--he died in the 60's). He always gave me a fade (which my little elementary school self hated), and put pomade on my hair and powder on my neck...just like my current barber.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 10-10-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

Patricia Lockwood:

For the last few years we had all been giving ourselves fascist haircuts, shaving the sides down to a clean honest stubble, combing back the top with a snap of the wrist. It was visually witty because we knew so much better now – after all, ideas are not attached to haircuts, are they? But all at once, and lifting tiki torches, the ideas were back as well, and wearing the haircut we had thought to rehabilitate.

From the LRB.

User Info Menu

or these

User Info Menu

I added that 'this was pre-Beatles, of course', but that didn't seem to help much........
    She probbably asked: pre - what? and spiders or bees were there those days?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    Patricia Lockwood:

For the last few years we had all been giving ourselves fascist haircuts, shaving the sides down to a clean honest stubble, combing back the top with a snap of the wrist. It was visually witty because we knew so much better now – after all, ideas are not attached to haircuts, are they? But all at once, and lifting tiki torches, the ideas were back as well, and wearing the haircut we had thought to rehabilitate.

From the LRB.
    Huh? Fascist haircuts? I don't get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    One even offers you a cocktail before the haircut.
    Clever move to make the customer drunk before they mess with your head...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

Here's the back of one of my shirts with a Sasquatch haircut guide...
    Attached Images Attached Images Remember Those Vintage Haircut Charts Barbers had on the Wall ??-sasquatch-haircut-guide-jpg 

User Info Menu

And this said it all !!!Remember Those Vintage Haircut Charts Barbers had on the Wall ??-mail-jpg

User Info Menu

My wife's cousin has a barber shop in a small town in Southern Italy, outside of Bari.It has a lot of vintage Americana barber shop 'stuff' on the walls since that was the vibe he was going for.

User Info Menu

"You can observe a lot by watching." -- Yogi Berra
    "Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post

"You can observe a lot by watching." -- Yogi Berra
    The origin of 'duck's arse' ?