User Info Menu

Over 3 years ago I had 2 guitars stolen.

A couple hours later I got a call they have been recovered and will be returned when they are done processing the evidence.

I'm still waiting. They are now evidence and will be held until the case is resolved.

I consulted with a lawyer to confirm that the only way I can have them back is to drop the charges. Not going to happen.

Once your instrument is stolen it is gone, in my case forever. Think about your rare 30's L5.

On the plus side my insurance covered them 100% replacement value and they now own them. One of the guitars is a Eastman Uptown AR605 serial number #1.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Once the case is settled, do people ever buy back (no longer their own ) merchandise, even though they've already been compensated for their loss ? Just curious whether there's some industry practice that companies follow. Is that a whole 'nother round of not-so-pleasant negotiations with an insurance company ? ( I'm guessing 'yes' ).

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    Once the case is settled, do people ever buy back (no longer their own ) merchandise, even though they've already been compensated for their loss ? Just curious whether there's some industry practice that companies follow. Is that a whole 'nother round of not-so-pleasant negotiations with an insurance company ? ( I'm guessing 'yes' ).
    When the case is settled I will have the opportunity to buy back my/their guitars. If I'm still able to play. I will no longer be the original owner so there goes the lifetime warranty. If I don't buy them back they will be auctioned off.

User Info Menu

I don't quite understand the timeline here...

I had a car stolen that was recovered a week later. They never caught the perps. The police just told me to go pick up my car where they found it within 48 hours so it wouldn't get towed.

I am surprised they would recover stolen guitars and find the perp. That seems unlikely in cases like this. (Thinking of Peter Frampton's famously stolen Les Paul right now--recovered after 30 years or so.)

I don't know the details of what they will/won't hold in evidence. That would suck if they found your stuff right away but then won't let you have it.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

They caught the low lifes with the instruments trying to sell them at a music store. The owner hit the silent alarm.

The only way I could have them back is to drop the charges. It is all up to the DA.

Who knows what kind of storage they are in or if it is heated in the winter. I have heard that things tend to vanish from evidence, we will see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar View Post
    When the case is settled I will have the opportunity to buy back my/their guitars. If I'm still able to play. I will no longer be the original owner so there goes the lifetime warranty. If I don't buy them back they will be auctioned off.

Thx !

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear of your loss.
    Best regards, k