The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

A Hammond Organ! (complete with a Leslie and an organist)
    The coolest instrument ever. I want the kit so bad. A bit heavy to haul perhaps

Last edited by JCat; 08-09-2019 at 05:45 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I sold mine last year but kept one of the Leslie 122's
    I'm running a Hammond XK2 portable organ through it.
    Much as I loved it the old Hammond was taking up too much space.

User Info Menu

I helped move a B-3 once.

Once.

User Info Menu

Really enjoyed that documentary.

Some Jimmy Smith:

User Info Menu

I just crank up the vibrato pedal and pretend I'm playing organ, like Charlie Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I just crank up the vibrato pedal and pretend I'm playing organ, like Charlie Hunter.
    Yeah Cosmic, me too, but nothing beats the real deal.
    I'm going home, brother:

The fuzz about the "sad state of music" indicates the groove is gone and that the warmth and the soul is gone. I figure there's too little Hammond organ in my life. The roots of Jazz and Soul music are right here in the Gospel. Mama goes old school:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

thats great , is that just a vib pedal ?
    anyone know what he uses ?

User Info Menu

I play with an organ trio quite often. I, too, helped the organ player move his stuff, ONCE.. . He's one of the very few players where i live that doesn't use a Nord or something similar to gig. He's got a smaller hammond for gigs though, but still a real one. There's just no comparing the sound..

I use this for leslie tones, showed it to the organ player and he laughed, but i like it..

Thats the band. I must have asked the organ player a hundred times to sell me that cut down super reverb, he doesn't budge..

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I play with an organ trio quite often. I, too, helped the organ player move his stuff, ONCE.. . He's one of the very few players where i live that doesn't use a Nord or something similar to gig. He's got a smaller hammond for gigs though, but still a real one. There's just no comparing the sound..

Thats the band. I must have asked the organ player a hundred times to sell me that cut down super reverb, he doesn't budge..
    Great playing man, love the sound of your trio!

User Info Menu

When I saw Larry Goldings recently (with Peter Bernstein), he was using a Hammond borrowed for the gig from UK organist Ross Stanley. Apparently Ross has some amazing powered trolley gadget which they used to ‘walk’ up the stairs with the organ.

I get the impression some of the big name guys tend to rely on the organ being supplied locally when they tour (as Larry did), I guess they specify it as a condition of the tour or something.

Even the vibes player Joe Locke came over to the UK with just a set of bars for his vibes and hired the frame locally, when I saw him a while back.

User Info Menu

I've been playing in organ bands almost exclusively for about 25 yrs now, can't tell you how many times I moved a B-3. Probably thousands of times until they all switched to modern portable Hammonds in the last few yrs.
    Backyard party where we had to cover a few hundred feet of grass, or up a few flights of stairs, or even lift it over the bar, try that one sometime!

User Info Menu

way to go:

User Info Menu

The Leslie is one great amp. They are also one of the heavest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    way to go:
    I would buy one, but I found the generic guitar music off-putting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I would buy one, but I found the generic guitar music off-putting.
    Someone in the marketing department brainstorming session went ‘hey, powermate, power chord, eureka!’

User Info Menu

A thing I really enjoy about the hammond organ is how it matches and compliments jazz guitar, the sound, the attack and dynamics, the space it leaves for comping.. doesn't get any better. I also like that kind of jazz music a lot.

User Info Menu

Leslie cabinets are one of the best innovations ever made in music history. I can’t think of any gear that can add so much tonal color for so many different instruments as Leslies. Electric guitar and Leslies, what an amazing combination! Lovely!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    A thing I really enjoy about the hammond organ is how it matches and compliments jazz guitar, the sound, the attack and dynamics, the space it leaves for comping.. doesn't get any better. I also like that kind of jazz music a lot.
    Agree. Love the sound and vibe of a good, cooking organ combo.
    Here's Joey DeFrancesco with Dan Wilson on guitar.

User Info Menu

I played a few blues gigs in a pick up band with a guitarist that used a leslie bottom cab, doing a SRV thing. BTW, CBS owned both Fender and Leslie in the late 60s and Fender made the Vibratone amp which was actually a Leslie.

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 08-13-2019 at 02:54 AM.

User Info Menu

JCat - Great stuff! Over the years I've played with some outstanding organ players at church.

AKA

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    Yeah Cosmic, me too, but nothing beats the real deal.
    I'm going home, brother:

The fuzz about the "sad state of music" indicates the groove is gone and that the warmth and the soul is gone. I figure there's too little Hammond organ in my life. The roots of Jazz and Soul music are right here in the Gospel. Mama goes old school:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    thats great , is that just a vib pedal ?
    anyone know what he uses ?
    Hughes and Kettner Tube Rotosphere about the time of that record, I think. At one time it was just an old Ross Phaser. Not sure what Charlie uses now.

I sense warmth and soul, a good spirit

Electric Guitar and Hammond Organ are meant to be together, a marriage made in heaven, sticks like white on rice, a golden couple...

Horace Silver wrote the song for us. It's so fun to play:

I'm gonna buy me Hammond, haul it up and down the road and play like Joey DeFrancesco.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Agree. Love the sound and vibe of a good, cooking organ combo.
    Here's Joey DeFrancesco with Dan Wilson on guitar.

Mark, I really enjoyed that performance, inspiring and...organic, yes! Joey is great and Dan Wilson too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hughes and Kettner Tube Rotosphere about the time of that record, I think. At one time it was just an old Ross Phaser. Not sure what Charlie uses now.
    Thanks Mister

User Info Menu

The Fender SuperChamp XD has a Leslie emulation. Sure it's not the real thing, but fun to play around with.

Oh, and I have an EHX B9 pedal. It's no real B3, but it's pretty cool. Every now and then I play it with our group, and listeners scratch their head trying to figure out how the keyboard player can play both grand piano and B3 at the same time...