The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

A great blues head. Love the way Bill Jennings played, and Brother Jack McDuff, well, what can you say?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This was a fairly popular recording. (Billy Butler on guitar)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Richard Groove Holmes with Jimmy Ponder, a guitarist I dig so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Richard Groove Holmes with Jimmy Ponder, a guitarist I dig so much!

I could play that music all day and night, trading fours and never stop....one more time...one more, once...look, the kid is going for one more!...

User Info Menu

Saw Joey DeFrancesco last month, great gig...

In the five years or so since I last saw him he's added Tenor Sax to his arsenal. I'm assuming he just watched someone play it & went & bought one. There's a video on you tube where he says the trumpet came easy because he'd watched where Miles put his fingers before he bought the horn.

My practise regime needs a shake up, maybe more watching where other guitarists put their fingers & less playing is the way to go...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Saw Joey DeFrancesco last month, great gig...

In the five years or so since I last saw him he's added Tenor Sax to his arsenal. I'm assuming he just watched someone play it & went & bought one. There's a video on you tube where he says the trumpet came easy because he'd watched where Miles put his fingers before he bought the horn.
    Joey D is amazing. Here he is with Frank Vignola.
    About all the organ trio tracks in this thread: if I had to choose between bebop and organ trio sounds to listen to for the rest of my life, I would choose the later, hands down.

User Info Menu

The best of all possible worlds, Italy, Joey D, Martino, Sco, I doubt my ability to survive a whole gig of this ..

User Info Menu

More Martino with Joey D, from the 2001 "Live at Yoshi's" record. (There's another live at Yoshi's set by Pat, so if you're interested, make sure you buy the right one!)

(No video here, just audio.)

User Info Menu

Hammond organ killed Wes, for real!

User Info Menu

Absolutely essential for a keyboard player. I've owned a Hammond XK5 and Leslie Studio 12 for the past 2 years. This setup gets the groove on.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Hammond organ killed Wes, for real!
    The pop-era of Jazz had come to an end. But the electric organ and the electric guitar marched on, hand in hand, to conquer the world and we got acts like Deep Purple. There have been countless of guitar hero front men after Wes, the keyboard player was as often a sidekick. Remember that players like Jimmy Smith and Joey deFranseco are truly outstanding musicians, main acts, just like Wes and Sco. Putting these guys together draws a crowd. I believe the cooperation helped both Wes and Jimmy at the time.
    The only front men you see in pop today are the singers. In the world of contemporary pop we're all sidekicks, so we better stick together.

User Info Menu

I heard this as a kid and was hooked on jazz. The richness of the musical expression is unsurpassed.

Take any musical element and follow it. For example, check out the just the volume modulation between the two. It's respectful, polite, and smooth. One fades while the other enters. Then follow the volume modulation during a single solo. Wes "talks" softly, then punctuates, falls back for moment, pushes forward, and eventually yields the space to Jimmy. He does the same.

The Hammond and L-5 are jazz soul mates.

User Info Menu

Also great playing blues together:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    Remember that players like Jimmy Smith and Joey deFranseco are truly outstanding musicians, main acts, just like Wes and Sco.
    My first jazz guitar teacher once told me that Jimmy Smith was underrated as an improviser because non-musicians dug him. Jimmy did incredible work, and a lot of it, without ever losing the groove. So much easier said than done!

Here's a story about Jimmy told by Russell Malone.

User Info Menu

For those who don't know anyone with a B3 to jam with, Aebersold has two volumes of standards featuring Joey DeFrancesco.

Volume 118 is called "Groovin' Jazz" Includes: Big Easy, Love For Sale, Laura, On Green Dolphin Street, How High The Moon, Fallin In Love With Love, 'Round Midnight, Softly As In A Morning Sunrise, I Can't Get Started, Bb Blues, I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You, East Of The Sun, Rhythm (Bb.)

Volume 123 is called "Now's the Time" and has Paul Bollenback on guitar. Includes: Now's The Time, Four On Six, The More I See You, Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, Lunch Portion, I Fall In Love Too Easily, Bye, Bye, Blackbird, Gee, Baby Ain't I Good To You, Indiana, February 14th, Anthropology, Summertime, I'm Getting Sentimental Over You, Slow Blues in Bb, Obama Nation

Other Aebersold volumes have an organ instead of a piano but these are the only two which can boast of Joey DeFrancesco.

User Info Menu

I don’t use BIAB much these days, but when I do, I tend to use the organ real tracks (recorded by Mike LeDonne). They are a lot more enjoyable to play along to than the piano tracks, which I often find too clunky and obtrusive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Great interview - thanks for posting that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I heard this as a kid and was hooked on jazz. The richness of the musical expression is unsurpassed.

Take any musical element and follow it. For example, check out the just the volume modulation between the two. It's respectful, polite, and smooth. One fades while the other enters. Then follow the volume modulation during a single solo. Wes "talks" softly, then punctuates, falls back for moment, pushes forward, and eventually yields the space to Jimmy. He does the same.

The Hammond and L-5 are jazz soul mates.

Yes, one can easily hear the reason behind your being hooked. This music was like on a hot summers day viewing a beautiful brunette in a sultry red dress strollin' down the avenue. She's stopped you in your tracks. Your eyes locked upon her every high heeled step. Hooked! Stop embarrassing yourself, you're drooling all over the sidewalk!

Jimmy and Wes were musical soul mates too...for sure!

User Info Menu

One of the greatest organ/guitar teams for the past decade or so...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    My first jazz guitar teacher once told me that Jimmy Smith was underrated as an improviser because non-musicians dug him. Jimmy did incredible work, and a lot of it, without ever losing the groove. So much easier said than done!

Here's a story about Jimmy told by Russell Malone.

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Great interview - thanks for posting that...
    Yeah, what a great interview. I love the story and the way Russel shares the moments with us. In less than ten minutes he gets down to the very core of what jazz is about; Connection and the meaning of being connected. Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    One of the greatest organ/guitar teams for the past decade or so...

These guys are connected. - connected to each other, connected to the moment, connected to the audience, connected to the legacy, language, culture, tradition and history. Connected by hearts and minds, by soul. Beautiful.