User Info Menu

Good old video of Barney smokin' up the frets!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a great find, thanks for posting. Until now I'd only seen excerpts from this. At 20:00 he plays "One Mint Julep" - the video of that one of the things that got me into jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    That's a great find, thanks for posting. Until now I'd only seen excerpts from this. At 20:00 he plays "One Mint Julep" - the video of that one of the things that got me into jazz.
    I got that from Jimmy Bruno's vlog on youtube.

User Info Menu

Nice! I saw Barney in concert a few times and met him at a music store once and shared a few nice words, etc.

In those introductory pictures they showed a number of jazz clubs, including The Lighthouse in Hermosa Breach. I saw Joe Pass there, front row (church pew).

Seeing the opening of that old black and white show with the host sort of fading in, reminded me of the satirical British skit "Jazz Club". I wonder if it was part of the inspiration...

User Info Menu

Got to see Barney Kessel play numerous times back in the late 70s and early 80s.

He's one of the most exciting guitarists "live" that I've ever seen - just kept getting better and better as each night rolled on!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Nice! I saw Barney in concert a few times and met him at a music store once and shared a few nice words, etc.

In those introductory pictures they showed a number of jazz clubs, including The Lighthouse in Hermosa Breach. I saw Joe Pass there, front row (church pew).

Seeing the opening of that old black and white show with the host sort of fading in, reminded me of the satirical British skit "Jazz Club". I wonder if it was part of the inspiration...
    You appear to have been in the So Cal area around the same time as me (well I've lived there my whole life). I saw Pass a few times at the Lighthouse.

Also saw Kessell a few times. The best one was at a club called Mark's. While it was a trio, Barry really broke-up the performance and that keep it interesting. E.g. duo with the bass player, played solo-chord-melody, played with the trio but with the focus on Latin \ Bossa tunes, standards the 50s' trio were known for, etc... He was very engaging with the audience.

Also saw The Great Guitarist (Kessell, Ellis, Byrd) at a larger venue but Ellis was sick.

Of course I saw many others. E.g. Tal with Red at Donte's was like going back in time! (only thing missing was Migus).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    You appear to have been in the So Cal area around the same time as me (well I've lived there my whole life). I saw Pass a few times at the Lighthouse.

Also saw Kessell a few times. The best one was at a club called Mark's. While it was a trio, Barry really broke-up the performance and that keep it interesting. E.g. duo with the bass player, played solo-chord-melody, played with the trio but with the focus on Latin \ Bossa tunes, standards the 50s' trio were known for, etc... He was very engaging with the audience.

Also saw The Great Guitarist (Kessell, Ellis, Byrd) at a larger venue but Ellis was sick.

Of course I saw many others. E.g. Tal with Red at Donte's was like going back in time! (only thing missing was Migus).
    Yeah I saw the Great Guitars too, at least once. Great stuff. That was a very successful grouping for them, just as it was for McLaughlin, DiMeola and Paco - heck, even the Three Tenors.

User Info Menu

Great stuff. Big Barney Kessel fan.
    Also an Oscar Brown, Jr fan.

Great animation of one of his performances from 1960, "But I Was Cool."

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola