Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi all, I have been enjoying a couple of Kenny Wheeler's albums recently, I really love the subdued spacey sounds. Can anyone recommend some similar artists or albums? Doesn't have to be trumpeters, or even straight jazz really, just anything that may have a similar vibe.

    I think what I like the most is that the albums I have heard focus on original compositions, have unusual structures and instrumentation and have a lot of space.

    Thanks!

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Sounds like a lot of things on the ECM label.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post
    Hi all, I have been enjoying a couple of Kenny Wheeler's albums recently, I really love the subdued spacey sounds. Can anyone recommend some similar artists or albums? Doesn't have to be trumpeters, or even straight jazz really, just anything that may have a similar vibe.

    I think what I like the most is that the albums I have heard focus on original compositions, have unusual structures and instrumentation and have a lot of space.

    Thanks!
    Yeah I think ECM in general. Try Dino Saluzzi and Anouar Brahem.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Agree with Graham and Christian.

    Which Kenny Wheeler albums have you been listening to? He had a small revolving cast of musicians through much of his discography, so their own work would be a good place to start.

    Pianist John Taylor recorded with Kenny several times on ECM, as a co-leader of the trio Azimuth (with Kenny and Norma Winstone) and a couple of great trio recordings under Peter Erskine's name. He had a great run of trio albums with Palle Daniellson and Martin France on the CAM Jazz in his last decade.

    Taking Kenny's 'Angel Song' as a starting point, you might explore some of Bill Frisell's work, particularly from the 80s and 90s. Start with the Paul Motian album 'It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago'.

    If it's Kenny's big band albums that you're into, Maria Schneider's work would be up your street.

    I've a nice album, 'New View', by bassist Chris Laurence, another of Kenny's long-time collaborators. With Frank Ricotti, John Parricelli, Martin France (and Norma Winstone on one tune), it's basically a Kenny Wheeler group without Kenny. Worth seeking out.

    London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

  6. #5

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    -----------------------------------

    "The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Sounds like a lot of things on the ECM label.
    I have checked out a few things on ECM but frankly I have only really enjoyed Wheeler and John Abercrombie's work so far. I find a lot of it a bit too new agey for me. However they have such a vast catalogue I will investigate further!

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Agree with Graham and Christian.

    Which Kenny Wheeler albums have you been listening to? He had a small revolving cast of musicians through much of his discography, so their own work would be a good place to start.

    Pianist John Taylor recorded with Kenny several times on ECM, as a co-leader of the trio Azimuth (with Kenny and Norma Winstone) and a couple of great trio recordings under Peter Erskine's name. He had a great run of trio albums with Palle Daniellson and Martin France on the CAM Jazz in his last decade.

    Taking Kenny's 'Angel Song' as a starting point, you might explore some of Bill Frisell's work, particularly from the 80s and 90s. Start with the Paul Motian album 'It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago'.

    If it's Kenny's big band albums that you're into, Maria Schneider's work would be up your street.

    I've a nice album, 'New View', by bassist Chris Laurence, another of Kenny's long-time collaborators. With Frank Ricotti, John Parricelli, Martin France (and Norma Winstone on one tune), it's basically a Kenny Wheeler group without Kenny. Worth seeking out.
    Thanks very much, I love Angel Song and also Gnu High and Deer Wan so far. I will check out the others you mention thanks!

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Yeah I think ECM in general. Try Dino Saluzzi and Anouar Brahem.
    These look interesting thanks!

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    This is excellent, spot on!

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Tomasz Stanko


  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    longtime ecm fan.....gnu high and deer wan!! wheelers prime!...

    check out

    (same era) italian trumpeter enrico rava...the pilgrim and the stars ..with abercrombies gateway trio backing him...and his following ecm lp-the plot---also w abercrombie

    jack dejohnettes new directions..with abercrombie and trumpeter lester bowie

    terje rypdal-whenever i seem to be far away

    all ^ ecm

    lastly,not ecm, the great trumpeter (pocket) don cherry-brown rice ...and also- relativity suite ...2 classics

    check 'em out...have fun


    cheers

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    longtime ecm fan.....gnu high and deer wan!! wheelers prime!...

    check out

    (same era) italian trumpeter enrico rava...the pilgrim and the stars ..with abercrombies gateway trio backing him...and his following ecm lp-the plot---also w abercrombie

    jack dejohnettes new directions..with abercrombie and trumpeter lester bowie

    terje rypdal-whenever i seem to be far away

    all ^ ecm

    lastly,not ecm, the great trumpeter (pocket) don cherry-brown rice ...and also- relativity suite ...2 classics

    check 'em out...have fun


    cheers
    The Enrico Rava album is pretty much perfect thanks very much! I know Brown Rice, excellent album but will check out the others thanks.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Tom Harrell?

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone View Post
    Tom Harrell?
    I've been trying to get the album he did with Jim Hall for ages.

  17. #16
    Does need to be trumpeters, any players welcome!