Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 201 to 220 of 220

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    And I'm glad someone mentioned movies / films, too. I know that'd be an entirely different thread, but we'd already have a good start.

And while it may not exactly have all the same particulars, there are many similarities.

And films don't have a groove anymore either, but man we have shift-changing superheroes, and graphics up the ***.

Yup, we got graphics alright !

Oh well........MHO
    Yep, look to target audiences. Who goes to the movies? (kids to young adults). So who will they make movies for?

The thing is, even when I was a teenager movies had more substance. (Or maybe it just seemed that way.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post

You're correct of course. Society, morality and religious life, economics, security at the global, national and personal level, and last but not least - the arts and entertainment - are all fine. Better than ever!

I understand that perspective as well. But I'm talking about going backwards musically. Entertainment is fine and well and more visual than audio driven.
    But because the public is unaware or uneducated musically
    Amateurs take advantage of this and produce inferior product.But because there are no filters like prohibitive recording costs and or say stronger music unions they are free to do so.

I say compare this to any other field of endeavour Sports,Law,Medicine,Plumbing?

User Info Menu

From my perspective, there's been a complete dumming down of society musically, and in films. I can't believe what passes for movie content these days. What are we on Marvel movie 25?

It doesn't just seem like there was greater content in films of yesteryear, there was. But then again, I'm one who as a kid sowed his oats at theater's on films as diverse as 'A Man For All Season's' and 'Badass Sweetback'. And it didn't cost you $40 to take a date to a movie! Give 'em less quality at a higher cost. That's so uniquely American!
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

^aye, movies in theatres these days are awful. I've been ill recently and have desperately needed entertainment, but I always end up either having to look at old films or if recent, auteur films. Lots of great TV shows available, though. I watched Lawrence of Arabia last night, a wonderful antithesis to contemporary movies; slow and deliberate.

It's no wonder that films and music, and what type of content is prioritized by the companies which define the popular culture has had a similar development, when they can get such massive cash returns from pumping out the same regurgitated garbage over and over again.

User Info Menu

Sad State of Music-3e5cad5b33e61834-600x338-jpg

(visual response to the last post)
    Last edited by Peter C; 08-07-2019 at 07:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Give the people what they have been conditioned to aspire to, like Cypher in the above movie ("I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious").

The popularity of prog/art rock in the UK in the early 70s must have been a glitch in the system; the error was soon "put right" with disco. Back to business as usual.

JMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    I understand that perspective as well. But I'm talking about going backwards musically. Entertainment is fine and well and more visual than audio driven.
    But because the public is unaware or uneducated musically
    Amateurs take advantage of this and produce inferior product.But because there are no filters like prohibitive recording costs and or say stronger music unions they are free to do so.

I say compare this to any other field of endeavour Sports,Law,Medicine,Plumbing?

Regarding current realities - I was being facetious.

User Info Menu

I think it is best to be open, although not always easy or comfortable. Maybe rather than criticizing others the music you do yourself would provide more meaningful comment.

User Info Menu

True Pop Subculture finally (after many years on life support) died in 2007. How come it's taken you guys so long to notice?

I mean if I was young, and it happened last year, I'd care a lot. But I'm not, and it didn't, so....

Apart from the odd thing that turns my head (Knower were the last band that did that), if I want something new, I'll go find it... from the past!

With so much to choose from between 1925 and 1995, who needs the friggin' future!

User Info Menu

I’m glad that there still is something called jazz music in 2019...
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    I’m glad that there still is something called jazz music in 2019...
    Sure, but if they banned you from listening to any Jazz that was recorded after 1965, I'd also be fine with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    Sure, but if they banned you from listening to any Jazz that was recorded after 1965, I'd also be fine with that.
    I might not be so happy about that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I might not be so happy about that.
    Haha, I'm glad to hear that, but seriously (if extremely hypothetically) if Big Brother gave you a choice between having access to pre '65 Jazz OR post '65 Jazz, strictly one or the other, which one ya gonna choose, eh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    Haha, I'm glad to hear that, but seriously (if extremely hypothetically) if Big Brother gave you a choice between having access to pre '65 Jazz OR post '65 Jazz, strictly one or the other, which one ya gonna choose, eh?
    Well a record library in with no records at all would be a good library for the exclusion of Kenny G, so clearly the former....

OTOH given the choice between recreating the music of the past and doing something new, I’ll choose the latter. The former alone is a form of death.

Luckily, I don’t have to choose.

User Info Menu

... given the choice between recreating the music of the past and doing something new, I’ll choose the latter. The former alone is a form of death....
    Even though no-one in their right mind would disagree with you, I think I could at least argue a case for the former (with caveats). It's just too easy to dismiss great works or forms of the past as being redundant simply because they're not, well, the present or the future!, as though the present or future is more relevant, or challenging, or interesting somehow. Somewhere along the way it was decided that the artist must progress the art form, and keep pushing the envelope whilst expressing his/her humanity both as an individual and as a participant of a current scene, blablabah..

And on the other hand, people who have nothing new to express (and therefore cannot be real artists) simply are content to wallow in the comfort of the works of the past, where it is simpler to find what one likes, after all, the history books have decided for us what was important, or even "great"...

So middle aged Joe Blow is happy to recreate his fave Joe Pass chord melodies, while the kid fresh outta Berklee rolls his eyes and turns up his nose, because he has his Kurt cap and a beat up Strat and he's been checking out negative Harmony and Mary Holverson and Jacob fucking Collier. Sound familiar?...

Yeah, recreating the past is lame, but what if creating in the present is also lame? (after all, the "present" has always had it's lame periods, right?- hehe). So how about reinterpreting the past? Not to worship it's ashes, but to preserve it's fire ! ? I've said this before, but a lot of great things in Jazz were just warming up in the mid 60's just before the rug was pulled. There was a lot of unfinished business that needed a couple of decades at least to fully explore. Instead, it was hurried, sensationalised or cheapened and hence lost it's momentum almost completely.

The promising early Post Bop of Henderson, Shorter, Hancock, Andrew Hill, Paul Bley etc certainly deserves to be revisited and re explored. Heck, I even feel that there is still a lot of mileage left in Hard Bop! So yeah, there's no shame revisiting the past great eras for inspiration. They can be perfectly valid vehicles for modern artistic expression. You might have heard of The Rennaissance, The Pre Raphaelites or the Neo Classicists? ...

User Info Menu

A lot of people don’t know Colliers middle name. Good knowledge!

User Info Menu

He has 3 middle names but I left out the other 2 to avoid an obscenity charge...

User Info Menu

It's a very common middle name a lot of people have without knowing it.