User Info Menu

Hi everyone!

Have Phil Spector’s legendary recording technique Wall of Sound ever been used in jazz before? I know that Barney Kessel was a member of Spector’s Wrecking Crew, but otherwise I can’t find any strong connection between jazz and Wall of Sound. Are there any jazz recordings that have this peculiar sound?
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 06-17-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

the only one I can think of is Duke Ellington
    no, it's not a Spector wall of sound, it's better....

User Info Menu

I think immediately of Stan Kenton's Orchestra when I hear the term 'wall of sound'.

Check out his version of West Side Story - a great record!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz View Post
    I think immediately of Stan Kenton's Orchestra when I hear the term 'wall of sound'.

Check out his version of West Side Story - a great record!
    Thank you, I’ll search for it later!

By the way, the only Spector-ish jazz records I’ve heard of before is Gabor Szabo’s ”High Contrast” from 1971 and James Last’s ”Games That Lovers Play” from 1967. But still I find it too ambitious to categorize them as neither true jazz records or Wall of Sound.
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

User Info Menu

I listened to ”Kenton’s West Side Story” this morning and I feel the album have a certain Wall of Sound vibe. Are there any other examples of Wall of Sound in jazz?