User Info Menu

A remarkable half-hour program

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool clip, Paul Desmond is definitely one of the best saxophonists ever! His playing is very gentle and nice sounding.

By the way, is it Ed Bickert with his Telecaster in the background?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    Cool clip, Paul Desmond is definitely one of the best saxophonists ever! His playing is very gentle and nice sounding.

By the way, is it Ed Bickert with his Telecaster in the background?
    Yes. The live segments are from a Canadian club called Bourbon Street.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Cool, I’ll research more later in other clips with Desmond!

Maybe I’ve missed this, but what year is this clip from? Because I bought a vinyl record one month ago from 1983 where The Ed Bickert Quintet are playing at Toronto’s Bourbon Street. Not with Paul Desmond though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    Cool, I’ll research more later in other clips with Desmond!

Maybe I’ve missed this, but what year is this clip from? Because I bought a vinyl record one month ago from 1983 where The Ed Bickert Quintet are playing at Toronto’s Bourbon Street. Not with Paul Desmond though.
    I think this is from 1975
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

I have his complete recordings with Jim Hall. Nice work for sure.

User Info Menu

Anyone mind if I indulge in a little Paul Desmond reminiscence? 1976 he was on the Brubeck Reunion Tour. We opened for them in Portland Or. I got to watch him close up from just off stage. Such a gentle man. Such a smooth player. He liked to hang right in the crook of the grand piano. I remember a solo, but can't remember the tune. He was so calm and still while he played, and he played wonderfully. When done he backed up a step away from the mic and into the piano, folded his hands over his sax, bowed his head and stayed motionless except for his eyes peering at the clapping audience over his thick rims, as if to say "Who... me? Please stop. You're embarrassing me." It was quite remarkable to me, and I learned a lot from that somehow.

User Info Menu

classic desmond-bickert...(jim hall was responsible for them working together.)..on cti label..with ron carter-connie kay rhythm section..beat that!

pure desmond

cheers

User Info Menu

His work with Brubeck made Brubeck millions. And his contract with Brubeck forbade him from playing with piano after they split, which was great for guitarists, since he recorded those masterpieces with Hall and Bickert, as well as some interesting stuff with Gabor Szabo.