The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

My apologies if this has been posted earlier.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

LOL! So that's how you make it through those complex changes....

User Info Menu

Hey cool! This video shows that he is still Hairforce Number One!!!!

User Info Menu

So now Pat Metheny will have to retract all his previous comments about Kenny, and admit that he is not worthy!

Well, judging from some of the comments from the audience, they certainly seemed to appreciate it. I don't actually know much about him TBH, but it seems like he is more an entertainer showboating to his audience, which I'm sure is a very very different audience from the kind that goes to a PM gig?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

...I MADE THIS WITH RETRO FLUTE VIRTUAL FLUTE AND BAND IN A BOX...SEQUENCER WAS CUBASE

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I need to lie down after watching that...

I remember buying a Kenny G album when I was 14. Never did get to hear side 2. In fact I can only remember the first track, even that not all the way through.

User Info Menu

I can't believe I'm defending Kenny G here (and not the Kenny G I listen to--the Garrett), but here it goes:

Kenny G can play, he knows what he's doing. Pat Metheny is just immature and jealous is all. Do I listen to Kenny G, heck no. If I were a professional musician would I feel the need to bad mouth someone who is ridiculously successful in music, heck no again.

I don't listen to Kenny G because his music doesn't move me. Except for an album or two, Beyond the Missouri Skyline comes to mind, I don't listen to Pat's music either because it doesn't move me. But I'll admit that both Kenny G (not the cool one) and Pat Metheny are both excellent musicians in their own right.

Just saying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Kenny G can play, he knows what he's doing. ...
    Just saying.
    Posdibly, he is, but he is so out of tune Miles could take lessons.

User Info Menu

He certainly sounds better on tenor sax.

User Info Menu

Did anyone see Kenny G with Benson when they toured? I am not a Kenny G fan, though I can't diss him too much, since he plays sax better than I could ever play guitar and is infinitely more successful at it.

Came across a video or 2--they sound good together actually.

Now Pat Metheny touring with Kenny G...THAT I'd really like to see!

User Info Menu

I understand that Kenny G is a scratch golfer . Which is notable.

User Info Menu

You do realize the OP is about circular breathing, right? Takes some practice.

I came here because of the headline "Kenny G". I never took any notice of the name until just the other day, when I added a track of his to a playlist. And you know what, I also added a Metheney version of the same song! I understand Pat may be a bit jealous about some of the expressive dimensions, just remember Kenny can't play chords, so as a horn player he needs to get attention by other means... Sometimes there's a fine line between awesome and cliche, but I don't think Pat ever fell into that pit (save for the..hrmm...haircut).

Anyway, the boys go to the same hairdresser, and record the same song so apparently they got some things in common...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat

Anyway, the boys go to the same hairdresser, and record the same song so apparently they got some things in common...

User Info Menu

Luke i read several years back the funniest P.M. take/essay on K.G.I laughed so hard.I think every day since then K.G.practised his butt off to prove uh to prove uh something.I was digging the bass player and band maybe he pulled it off dont know how the rest of this went.Then again he made some good scratch doin what he did.How pathetic that sounds.Never leave the et out of pathetic.

User Info Menu

There once was a Richard Thompson song "I agree with Pat Metheny". The line was: How can he hold that note so long? He must be a genius! - Wrong.

User Info Menu

Always bothered me that PM (one of my musical heroes) went off the rails because he felt that KG disrespected Louis Armstrong by doing a posthumous "jam" album. Yeah, it does speak to his level of passion regarding jazz's musical forebears but I found it unseemly for him to diss another pro musician publicly.
    Last edited by zdub; 06-20-2019 at 03:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geogio
    I understand that Kenny G is a scratch golfer . Which is notable.
    Can happen if you don't waste all that time practicing the sax.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Always bothered me that PM (one of my musical heroes) went off the rails because he felt that KG disrespected Louis Armstrong by doing a posthumous "jam" album. Yeah, it does speak to his level of passion regarding jazz's musical forebears but I found it unseemly for him to diss another pro musician publicly.
    A "pro" musician doesn't disrespect the dead. As far as I'm concerned, Pat was 100% justified.