Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    The closest thing I have to a ritual.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    And breaking strings, until recently.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I’m changing strings one or at maximum two times per year. I’ve never broken any strings during playing, just during tuning.

  5. #4
    I bought a beater about 20 years ago and I changed the strings for the first time today. It's back in tune.

    I keep this guitar out doors (under cover) spring to fall.

    Right now it's my favourite.


  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    well this thread is a waste of time i thought you were going to tell me how to do it.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    well this thread is a waste of time i thought you were going to tell me how to do it.


    Wait 20 years; proceed.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone View Post
    Wait 20 years; proceed.
    hahahaha

    (always watch who you ask advice from... his truth might not match your own!!!)

    cheers

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Yeah I am not one to lecture people on changing strings. Like baby diapers, I only change them when they need changing. Since I don’t go for a bright sound, that generally means a LONG time.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

    Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    It's been a year and a half since I changed them on my guitar. Lately I've been thinking about putting on a new set but I'm not one to rush into things....
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone View Post
    I bought a beater about 20 years ago and I changed the strings for the first time today. It's back in tune.

    I keep this guitar out doors (under cover) spring to fall.

    Right now it's my favourite.

    Keeping it outdoors may not have affected the strings greatly, but it obviously had an effect on its body shape.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    I’m changing strings one or at maximum two times per year. I’ve never broken any strings during playing, just during tuning.
    Where exactly did the break occur? If at the tuning gear, you just need to take a little piece of 500 grit or so sandpaper and smooth the edges (and inside) of the string hole in the post. Same thing if it’s breaking at the saddle.
    Ignorance is agony.



  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
    ...a little piece of 500 grit or so sandpaper...
    If strings break at the tuning post or at the bridge saddle, smoothing of those places may be done when changing strings by using the old wound string (or the smallest wound string for the posts and saddles of the plain strings) and gently sawing them through or over them. They are flexible and shaped perfectly for this.

    This happens a little naturally when new strings are put on - the idea is to deliberately do it a bit with the old ones during each string change before putting on the new ones... just do this every string change until the string breaking stops.
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
    Where exactly did the break occur? If at the tuning gear, you just need to take a little piece of 500 grit or so sandpaper and smooth the edges (and inside) of the string hole in the post. Same thing if it’s breaking at the saddle.
    Hi, sorry for late answer!

    Yes, it occurs every time up at the tuning gear. It have never happened down at the saddle. Good advices, I’ll have it in mind from now on!
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

    -Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9 View Post
    I’m changing strings one or at maximum two times per year. I’ve never broken any strings during playing, just during tuning.
    I'd be very careful changing Thomastik-Infeld Swing flats into a guitar with locking tuners. The bass E (especially), A, and D wound strings will break where the string is locked into the tuner peg. The string must be wound around those posts and almost no pressure applied to the string with the locking mechanism. If breakage occurs, Just Strings sells individual strings.
    "Songs are very interesting things to do to the air." -Tom Waits

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Well, I wait so long that i have to find a video to remind me how to do it and I don't like looking for videos so....

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vashondan View Post
    Well, I wait so long that i have to find a video to remind me how to do it and I don't like looking for videos so....
    Ha ha ha! I do the same thing, look up the "only right way" to do it, which is typically different from the last time I looked up the "only right way". Then I completely ignore it and do it the same way as ever -- wrap it around the post once, stick it through the hole, bring it back around the post a half turn, and tie a knot in it, then start winding.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    With strings costing as much as they do I dread dread dread changing strings; it is akin to throwing away a book or CD each time. I try to make them last by wiping them down after a session. And I wash hands before playing.

    My relaxing ritual is to wax my guitars. Not polish; just wax. No abrasives.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Changing Strings-download-jpg
    I got a picture of Alan changing strings
    White belt
    My Youtube

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Changing strings is definitely the only time I pray.

    "Please, God, don't let it break and hit me in the eye."

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    I'd be very careful changing Thomastik-Infeld Swing flats into a guitar with locking tuners. The bass E (especially), A, and D wound strings will break where the string is locked into the tuner peg. The string must be wound around those posts and almost no pressure applied to the string with the locking mechanism. If breakage occurs, Just Strings sells individual strings.
    I got rid of my locking tuners
    precisly because of that

    kept breaking TI low E strings at the post ....
    and the individual strings are expensive

    i now now only change strings once in a blue moon
    so it works out fine

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Russ View Post
    Changing strings is definitely the only time I pray.

    "Please, God, don't let it break and hit me in the eye."
    I hate that thing when you tune up new classical guitar nylon strings and you keep on tightening them, but they keep on stretching and going down so you keep on tightening them, etc. etc. I am always convinced they are going to break. But they never do fortunately!

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    I'd be very careful changing Thomastik-Infeld Swing flats into a guitar with locking tuners. The bass E (especially), A, and D wound strings will break where the string is locked into the tuner peg. The string must be wound around those posts and almost no pressure applied to the string with the locking mechanism. If breakage occurs, Just Strings sells individual strings.
    Never have had that problem although I do try and wind a bit with my lockers so that I can loosen strings to work on things if I need to. I have a couple of guitars with no winds, however, and not have had any problems. Knock on wood.