Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

(Whining) I have many Jazz recordings - CDs, cassettes, downloads - but with a wife, kids, house, dog, older cars, job, I just don't have time to sit down and listen to them. I play them in the car when I can, but around here, you are wise to tune in to traffic reports if you have to drive far. But traffic reports interrupt my groove and I am not in the car for hours like I used to be when I lived in California.

And lest I forget, when I do get free time, I would rather play my guitar than listen to music.

What's a fella to do? How do you do it? I have some tasty Louis Stewart and Rene Thomas songs that are just dying to be listened to...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm retired, so I sometimes get time in between rants from my wife about the honey-do list that has been backed up for years. In the car, I listen to music from my phone, which also runs a mapping program that gives me traffic updates. It only talks for navigation instructions, which can be a bit much, but one has to compromise on some things. When I was working, I was gone from home, on the job, for 7 days straight, every other week, plus more. On the last job, I had plenty of time to listen to music, because ~98% of the time I just sat around waiting, and alternating between surfing the interwebz, watching tv, and listening to music. That's the life of an EMS helicopter pilot. That's not the way most jobs go, though. I don't have any worthwhile advice for you, I'm afraid. All I know is to squeeze it in as you can, and prioritize things. Your priorities are different from anyone else's, so what goes in the background and gets less time and attention is different from everyone else. Just decide which activities are most important to you, and do them in that order.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I'm retired, so I sometimes get time in between rants from my wife about the honey-do list that has been backed up for years. In the car, I listen to music from my phone, which also runs a mapping program that gives me traffic updates. It only talks for navigation instructions, which can be a bit much, but one has to compromise on some things. When I was working, I was gone from home, on the job, for 7 days straight, every other week, plus more. On the last job, I had plenty of time to listen to music, because ~98% of the time I just sat around waiting, and alternating between surfing the interwebz, watching tv, and listening to music. That's the life of an EMS helicopter pilot. That's not the way most jobs go, though. I don't have any worthwhile advice for you, I'm afraid. All I know is to squeeze it in as you can, and prioritize things. Your priorities are different from anyone else's, so what goes in the background and gets less time and attention is different from everyone else. Just decide which activities are most important to you, and do them in that order.
    Yes, it looks as though the car might be my only option, along with my phone navigation system set on traffic. Great idea! If I am not listening to a CD, I stream Youtube through bluetooth to the car's speakers.

Funny how I am trying to learn to play it, yet don't have a lot of time to listen to it (Jazz, that is).

User Info Menu

I wear bluetooth headphones while I work a lot of the time, which means I get a lot of listening done then. I'll also listen in the car, while doing dishes or chores...whenever I can. But I use ANY free time at home with the guitar in hand these days.

Ratio of listening : playing = 1.5? : 1

User Info Menu

Real Jazz Sirius XM while in the car, CD player in audio system while working out at home. That almost as much time as I've ever had for it - because of the long commute - so I'm OK with it.

The Real Jazz DJs play stuff I would not hear or know of otherwise, which is very important, and I play what I want at the house.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    (Whining)

And lest I forget, when I do get free time, I would rather play my guitar than listen to music.
    ^Yes - this ^

But: being around home most of the time and doing housework I get to listen to about an hour a day so that's not too bad....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

I listen every night once the kids are asleep. That's my close listening time.

I also listen in the car and at work, but that's not as active of listening.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    What's a fella to do? How do you do it? I have some tasty Louis Stewart and Rene Thomas songs that are just dying to be listened to...
    I know some very good jazz musicians who have said they don't really listen to that much jazz. I remember Mark K from the rmmgj saying he didn't listen to that much jazz and he's an extremely good player. On the other hand, there are very good players that feel listening is super important, I remember an interview with Bill Carrothers where he said he didn't practice piano that much growing up but he would listen to records ALL DAY and could sing any part.

that said, I've personally always listened to a lot of jazz because I really love listening to jazz, it's how I got into the music. Some people like watching sports or playing golf, I like listening to jazz.

I can't personally say that I'd always rather play music than listen to it, I definitely need both in my life. there are times when I'm not feeling inspired to practice, and also times when listening to music is more beneficial than practicing to me as a musician; the primary way I learn new tunes is by listening to them.

User Info Menu

I just listen whenever I get the chance.

Sometimes I take along CDs to listen to when I'm driving while other times I just go to YouTube and type in a guitarist's name that I was thinking about.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Authentic Jazz Guitar

User Info Menu

I have a big record collection and used to listen all the time when I was younger but the more gigs I got that dropped off a bit, though I still listen in the car.

If I have a night off I'll watch a game w the sound down and practice, but before my regular Sunday afternoon gig I make it a point to pull out a record and listen while I cook/eat breakfast.

User Info Menu

I do not use a car...
    I live a in a huge city and subway is much more convinient here. I listen a lot while I walk.

At home I put on the music I like as a background when I get home and play with kids.
    They know that bad music is the probably the only thing I can't tolerate at home... so we do not listen to anything that I can't stand, it is probably the only absolute rule I insist on..
    of and the second one: we do not have a TV too.

We have a TVset but it is connected only with the Internet, so know what you want - choose -watch and switch it off.
    (I would no mind having some chanells like Mezzo or Baseball or some nature/history stuff and I love good movies - but all that goes with a bunch of trash and adds... so -'No')

I listen and play lots of early and classical music too so my kids are used that thee can be opera or jazz concert playing.

I found that kids are very sensitive- if the production is good they can watch opera or ballet with the same attention as the idiotic cartoons.

I also put on some jazz video concerts...

Unfortunately I mostly listen from youtube and from streaming though I have lots of CDs - at the moment I do not even have a cd player.

At night I usually either play myself, or read somenthing.

User Info Menu

Jazz listening, not much these days. I use to listen a lot though. My tastes swing around from time to time.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy View Post

Edit: BTW, Paul I have listened to a couple of tunes from the recording you sent me and really have enjoyed them. I need to put the whole recording on my phone so I can catch it while driving.
    Glad to hear it, Clay!

User Info Menu

All day, every day on my bone-conduction headphones at work, Sirius Satellite Real Jazz Ch. 67.

User Info Menu

Since I joined Jazz Guitar Forum, who has time to listen to jazz?

User Info Menu

Alsoran,

I feel your pain. I used to listen while at work but current project has me in a place where it's not practical. Too many interruptions. Home situation is the same minus kids. I use the hour drive home to listen and then maybe an hour at home, usually when I'm trying to get some practice time in.
    I remember as a kid dreaming of the day when I'd have my own home where I could practice/play all day long if I wanted. Now as an adult I know what dreams are made of.
    Tried to listen to the local jazz station but the selections played are often not worth the listen. At least at the time I'm on the highway.
    Get what you can and cherish it.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

As much as I can, but depends on whether I want it to be "focused listening" or not...that can be very exhausting but on the flip side even just 10 minutes of focused listening can be very educational. I do less overall listening now but more focused listening. I also try to get out to see live jazz often - there's something about being there...seems to make me a better player.

User Info Menu

I have a lifelong habit of listening to classical music, especially piano music, while I read.

Over the years I have accumulated at least 50,000 tracks of spoken word stuff; college lectures, recorded books, shakespeare, OTR. That's what I listen to while driving, washing dishes, walking the dog, etc. I just put it all on shuffle.

Occasionally I'll watch a concert or opera on TV; always classical.

I listen to jazz when I need to learn a new song, rarely otherwise. I know the canon, have a big record and CD collection, and enjoy playing the guitar and bass, especially with other people, but for listening I prefer the other stuff.

User Info Menu

I have headphones at work so I could dial up jazz on youtube or what have you... but I find jazz makes it harder to concentrate on my work -- I'd rather listen to the music!

Thank Dog for Krautrock!

Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Since I work from home and my wife goes to work, I listen to jazz when I'm not on a work conference call. I also tend to make most of our weekday dinners (I apply my jazz improv skills to cooking, ha ha, and since my wife has to drive in So Cal traffic its the least I can do), I listen to jazz when cooking. Cooking and listening to jazz is something I find very enjoyable.

Oh, and the good thing is my wife also loves jazz (she is from Italy and I have found Euro women tend to be more "open" to non-pop music). This is much different then my friends who can only listen to jazz when the wife is away!

PS: my wife doesn't like distortion, so no Scofield etc.. in the house, only in the car when I'm by myself.