Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

out
    Jerry Coker and Jamey Aebersold-jerry-coker-jamey-aebersold-jpg
    Last edited by guitarbuddy; 06-05-2019 at 06:59 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing!

They are two remarkable men.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

I purchased many Aebersold CDs when I was first learning to play jazz guitar. I purchased a few of the teaching ones E.g. II\V\I and turnarounds, but mostly the ones with just songs. This was before it was easy to get backing tracks and before I purchased a looper so I could make my own.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 05-25-2019 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Two of the real giants in jazz education. Nowadays people like to pick at Aebersold, but without him, I'd never have felt like I could even begin with playing jazz. And if all Coker ever did was write the Patterns for Jazz book, that would have been enough.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Great post with Jamey at left, Jerry on the right!

User Info Menu

I've read two of Jerry's books: How to Practice Jazz, and How to Listen to Jazz. I designed my practice routine with the first. The second gave me a historical understanding of the music that is really attuned to the musician. I have a third on my shelf - Improvising Jazz - that I've not started.

It is great to see this photo - and Jamey enjoying his infamous milk shake at 80-plus years young. Just received my most recent of his study guides yesterday - Blues in All Keys (Vol 42). I doubt it will be my last.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy View Post
    BTW, I he has a list of chord progressions in Roman numerals in the appendix, but with no titles of course. Here they are in case you're interested...
    Thank you! This discussion motivated me to open the book - scanned it front to back - it's really a gem. I have to ask you - how did you identify the tunes in Appendix D?

All the best!

User Info Menu

Great photo.
    I took a class from Jerry way back in 1977 when he was teaching at the University of Tennessee. He was an amusing fellow.
    I believe Jerry had been down at Miami when the explosion of young stars was in full swing.
    ES-175VOSsp..SadowskySemi..Ibanez S6521Q w/GK3..DV Mark LJ..Dispatch Master V2..Atomic CLR..BossGP10..Line6.G10
    https://soundcloud.com/user852059642/tracks

User Info Menu

Jamey Aebersold has 15 of Jerry Coker's books for sale at a 30 % discount.

jazzbooks.com: Category
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy View Post
    I wasn't the one who did the identifying in this particular list, so I can't vouch for them, but I did start the process years ago and was writing titles down next to each progression in the physical copy I owned of Coker's book. For me it was ground zero not knowing any tunes at all and then over the course of the years learning to recognize the changes to various standards. John Mehegan, whose piano jazz improv books predated Coker's by a couple of years, used the same figured bass/Roman numeral analysis of tunes and he did provide titles for them.
    Hey Clay, sorry to change the subject, but you obviously got your picking chops together; I was wondering if you think that practicing reverse alternate picking (starting with an upstroke on the downbeat and then playing a downstroke on the up beat) is an important technique to work on.
    I've been using it on the chromatic (1-2-3-4) exercise everyone does, and can only get it up to 130bpm as 16th notes. I've heard Martino used this technique, but I don't know what tempo he could play 16th notes at using this technique. Do you use it?