Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 43 of 43
    As always, i know its a vague reference, "a crazy jazz".

Something not bluesy, but not something like that avant-garde that sounds like monkeys being tortured. And not standards.

What would you recommend me ?

I have in mind wind ensembles, making harmonies, deep fat sounds and minor sounds.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sam Rivers, "Crystals."

You're welcome.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Pharoah Sanders, Karma.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by man-argentina View Post

Something not bluesy, but not something like that avant-garde that sounds like monkeys being tortured. And not standards.

I have in mind wind ensembles, making harmonies, deep fat sounds and minor sounds.
    Jazz Fusion? Weather Report, Chic Corea? Snarky Puppy...

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Sam Rivers, "Crystals."

You're welcome.
    Thanks, but not what im looking for, too disonant, maybe a good example of what im not looking for- Also too linear.

Things like this it really doesnt tell me anything, i like it, and i cant understand it, and enjoy it in some way, but its not something i would play and really enjoy it and think sounds good.

Coltrane, Mclaughlin, Eric Dolphy or things like that, also things im not looking for.

Trying to find something with harmony, complex, maybe "elegant" if i can say that term.

User Info Menu

How is this? Too straight ahead? Needs 15% more tortured monkeys?

Build bridges, not walls.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    How is this? Too straight ahead? Needs 15% more tortured monkeys?
    Yeap, too straight, good of course, but too straight. And Mingus, ive already listened everything of him.

Looking for something much more modern.

User Info Menu

old King Crimson
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

User Info Menu

Anyone for Sun Ra ?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Coltrane Live in Seattle

User Info Menu

SorryOP, I misread, thought you DID want some shreiking.

Maybe check out Nik Bartsch's Ronin or the first Isotope 217 album?

But on the topic of shreiking...

Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

Quote Originally Posted by guy.shelander View Post
    Jazz Fusion? Weather Report, Chic Corea? Snarky Puppy...

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Nope.

I think a good example could be Piazzolla, that maybe its not in the first thought of people into more straight jazz.

This is a Piazzolla tune played by the band of his grandson (drums):

Its in a fast beat, i preffer more slower beats, but just to through an example of what to me is a "more modern, not straight ahead" jazz.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Oh, totally not what I thought you were getting at...

Check out Alexis Cuadrado.

Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

also isotope to echo Jeff

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    Nels Cline! I was also wondering what that piece of plumbing the sitting player was playing -- the youtube page identifies it as a " contra alto clarinet"

User Info Menu

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

voice of chunk

cut to the 2 minute mark

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-16-2019 at 09:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Nels Cline! I was also wondering what that piece of plumbing the sitting player was playing -- the youtube page identifies it as a " contra alto clarinet"
    Correct. You can hear more of it on this record, which is just nuts.

Clarinet and Drums | Hamir and Ben

User Info Menu

This may not be what you thought you were seeking, but your whole life up to this moment has only served to lead you to it. So, jump into the deep end and accept where it takes you as where you should be. We only want what’s best for you.
    Ignorance is agony.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
    This may not be what you thought you were seeking, but your whole life up to this moment has only served to lead you to it. So, jump into the deep end and accept where it takes you as where you should be. We only want what’s best for you.
    Didnt like it, but gonna check the rest of the album. You should think Im empty inside ? Dont know, the softnes... and those saxophone lines... the piano repeating those notes... and i found it pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    You know about David Binney?

Spend some time at the 55 club in NY. It should give you something to think about
    David
    I like this, a lot, but, not what im looking for. It remembers me to a lot of saxophone playing that ive listened ton of times that i never can remember the tittle of the songs but sounds like something ive already listened. I know its a bit "a thing" about this jazz, which i like, but, its exactly what im not wanting to listen.

I find it too linear, and too much about the soloing, im looking more thigs with saxophones (or any wind) harmonizing more, making "a song", rather than "a base to improvise".

As always, thanks to all for the replies, even if dont find what i want (which i think its impossible), its good to spend some time listening new music.

User Info Menu

ROVA Sax Quartet?

User Info Menu

The correct answer is Hermeto Pascoal

User Info Menu

Louis Sclavis also good .

User Info Menu

Willem Breuker might be up your street .

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft View Post
    Willem Breuker might be up your street .
    It sounds Really great, enjoying it a lot, thanks.

But, the part of the minute 16:00 -some minutes after some minutes before-, its a kind of sound Im trying to dont find to listen. That kind of swing big band thing, i love it, but im trying to find something its nothing to do with that, that "show music". Anyway thanks, just watching couple minutes and sounds really well done.

Trying to find something more "abstract", much beyond the classical jazz.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It sounds Really great, enjoying it a lot, thanks.

But, the part of the minute 16:00 -some minutes after some minutes before-, its a kind of sound Im trying to dont find to listen. That kind of swing big band thing, i love it, but im trying to find something its nothing to do with that, that "show music". Anyway thanks, just watching couple minutes and sounds really well done.

you seem hard to please...many of the suggestions must have some qualities you like..

perhaps something in the range or mix of the following

frank zappa..the hot rats era
    mahavishnu flavored arrangements-yeah its called "fusion" for lack of a better term
    pat metheny - very wide range of styles
    miles davis experiments..bitches brew and beyond
    many others..chick corea keith jarrett cicil taylor keyboard masters

all the above use jazz elements in the extreme..(IMO) and even to call it jazz seems misplaced

so I would think some the suggestions here must at lease meet some of your wants..
    play well ...
    wolf

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen View Post
    you seem hard to please...many of the suggestions must have some qualities you like..

perhaps something in the range or mix of the following

frank zappa..the hot rats era
    mahavishnu flavored arrangements-yeah its called "fusion" for lack of a better term
    pat metheny - very wide range of styles
    miles davis experiments..bitches brew and beyond
    many others..chick corea keith jarrett cicil taylor keyboard masters

all the above use jazz elements in the extreme..(IMO) and even to call it jazz seems misplaced

so I would think some the suggestions here must at lease meet some of your wants..
    Yes, I am, and sorry to if i sound demanding, but i cant find something that i want, and the description i made was too vague.

Frank Zappa, should have to listen but dont know, i think its not the kind of thing i like.

Miles Davis, Bitches brew its not the kind of thing im looking for. And i already listened all Miles Davis.

Chick Corea, or Metheny, not of my taste at all. Jarret and Cecyl Taylor, i like them, but already listened them, and its not what im looking for.

Im looking for something much more "modern". And different.

Ive spent lot of time listening lot of more at the time was more "contemporary" jazz, from classic but dont know, it doesnt catch me. And when some get in that thing of make disonant sounds just because, cant stand it... And then theres that "intelectual modern jazz" that cant stand either, soft and inteligent.

Its hard to me to find something that i think sounds good, in any style and music in general.

User Info Menu

Browse this: Music | LCW .

My experimental music trio; a portion of our output is certainly jazz-adjacent. It's all improvised and recorded in one take.

User Info Menu

<<
    Looking for something much more modern.
    … i preffer more slower beats ...
    Its hard to me to find something that i think sounds good, in any style and music in general.
    >>

Um - I can hear the jazz greats retort: Why don't you play your OWN music?

Last edited by Ol' Fret; 06-14-2019 at 05:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi

”Social Studies” by Carla Bley? That’s the closest I can get to a big band/wind ensemble that’s neither bluesy or too avant-garde.

User Info Menu

Here's a Belgian band, Aka Moon, that sounds pretty crazy:

User Info Menu

Another Belgian band, called Stuff:

User Info Menu

And more from Belgium, Dans Dans

User Info Menu

Herbie Hancock, Stan Getz, Weather Report, Sun Ra. are all good choices