Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I hear this phrase every now and then and I wondered if it simply implied another fellow instrumentalist who can be unique, solid in their technique, yet, can jam with others in a complimentary way no matter what style. Also, it seems these people are not as well known, but those "in-the-know" kind of put this label on them.

Is there another meaning of this? Are there examples players who are somewhat familiar but not in that pantheon of jazz legend, though, they ought to be?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

George Harrison had Eric Clapton play guitar on While My Guitar Gentle Weeps. A musicians musician?

Maybe not the best example. Maybe this one is better.

Nathan East who has recorded, performed, and co-written songs with performers such as Eric Clapton, Michael Jackson, Joe Satriani, Peter Gabriel, George Harrison, Phil Collins, Stevie Wonder, Toto, Kenny Loggins, Daft Punk, and Herbie Hancock.

Nathan East who many musicians know but not known by many nonmusicians.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

It also sometimes implies performers/composers who are followed and listened to by other musicians and are not "accessible" by non-musicians (in the broadest sense). This could be because of technical and/or harmonic approach to the instrument.

One can be both a musician's musician and also be very accessible to the lay public, for example Charlie Hunter with his two output multiscale guitars. He attracts guitarists and nonmusicians equally to his concerts.
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

Gosh so many out there.

It kind of implies being a multiinstrumentalist, but at the least I think it implies being able to play in many different styles and in a supporting role as well as bandleader.

Ry Cooder. Ask any reputable musician on the scene for the last 40 years whom they respect as a songwriter, guitarist, multiinstrumentalist, and producer, and they'll name this guy. They could use his picture in the dictionary as a "musician's musician."

David Lindley--known for playing lap steel on Jackson Browne's albums.

Skunk Baxter--Steely Dan, Doobies and innumerable sideman jobs.

Earl Slick--took Bowie to a different level--always played just the right stuff, never soaking up all the attention for himself. Also Reeves Gabrel, currently touring with The Cure, and Carlos Alomar.

Greg Leisz--slide and steel guitarist who has recorded with (among others) Lucinda Williams and KD Laing.

Tony Levin--best bass player out there.

Nicky Hopkins--famous supporting piano player (the Stones, the Faces).

Derek Sherinian--keyboard player for Alice Cooper and Joe Bonamassa among others.

Anton Fig--drummer with Joe Bonamassa.

Adrian Belew and pretty much any of Zappa's sidemen.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 05-16-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

Oh sorry, forgot this was a jazz forum. Well how about John Medeski? John Patatucci? Peter Erskine? Eddie Gomez?
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

jamerson !

Any genre is game in this topic.

How about a musician's composer? Jazz, classical or otherwise...

User Info Menu

Two members of a band / orchestra that are married.
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Joe Diorio....

User Info Menu

A musician who, when he gigs locally, there are pro musicians in the audience who paid for their tickets.

User Info Menu

A very accomplished musician who's also a bit of a nerd.

User Info Menu

I always considered it as a musician whose musicality, performing, ideas, etc,. inspire other musicians. Sometimes it can be technical abilities that only other musicians can notice.

User Info Menu

I always took "musicians' musician" to be kind of like "king of kings"-- basically a superlative, the ultimate musician, the one even great musicians respect, and who has layers of virtuosity that a discerning musician can hear and appreciate even while less discerning listeners still enjoy the music.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Chet fits the bill; he could play most musical genres (I say most since I don't recall him playing metal), played with first rate musicians in various genres and was highly respected by said musicians.

User Info Menu

imo hands down Hank Garland as he not only played most genres of the time he excelled above most that were one genre oriented

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

'musician's musician'

I thought just a musician respected by other musicians. They can be well-known, but not necessarily.