The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Reg last posted here about a month ago.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks graham bop. What I really meant, and should have made it clearer, was that Reg hadn't posted any vids on YouTube in the last 2 years. I'm specifically looking for one on Jobim's Wave which he said he could put up in time. I'm afraid I don't understand his numbering system of the videos so don't have the time to trawl through them. Any help much appreciated. And apologies if this is now in the wrong thread.

User Info Menu

Great posts here.

As a relatively new dad (4 yr old + a 6 month old), it was all about finding proper balance and sacrificing in some areas to keep guitar going. I work a full time job during the day, come home and spend time with family until the kids go to bed, and then spend time with my wife (play a board game, watch a show etc.). I hardly ever miss that "date" portion of the evening with my wife for guitar, if only for a rehearsal or if I have a gig that needs extra preparation. After that, I can get in a solid 2 hours of practice before needing to sleep.

I treat that practice portion like a job (in a fun sense though), where I do that 5 nights a week, and then allow myself to do other activities in that evening portion on the weekend. I'm really fortunate that my wife is also a musician, and understands/supports my drive.

As silly as it might sound, I used to be heavily into competitive gaming after I completed school for my current job, and that took up all my free time in the evenings for a period of about 2 years, in which I had essentially given up on guitar. It was only after I recognized the toll it was taking on my mental health that I started scaling back, and getting a few more gigs here and there that reignited my passion. After canning competitive games completely as a hobby, I'm now having more fun than ever and the reward is greater. There's no pressure or expectation of how good I "need" to be, I just practice as I can with discipline and enjoy the process wherever it takes me.

User Info Menu

Rule #1; Make sure they know their place on the tour bus.
    Rule #2 Make them wear ear protection at all times, especially the kids when on the tour bus.
    Rule #3 Teach them (wife?) how to be your guitar tech. It will keep them busy, and out of trouble.

That's how I planned to do it. BUT. I never got married, or had kids. So now I'm thinking about doing this with my 85 year old Mom.
    Maybe not Rules #1 or 2, but, Rule #3 is definitely a possibility

I think it's important for children to see adults working on things that their passionate about. It shows them what dedication and perseverance can accomplish. In this day and age of instant gratification, it can show them they can do almost anything if their dedicated.

User Info Menu

Hey, this is a great little thread! I really like to see the humanity shared here in a place where we usually fuss over all aspects of jazz guitar. This is nice to read!

I've got younger children, too, and the post I've seen have been very thoughtful/reflective and something that I can learn from as well. I truly believe family first, but I like the balance of being true to yourself and how that can impress upon your children as much as making time for their interest.

I think what's nice is that I've posted on the forum and asked about songs that I can share with my family like novelty jazz tunes, optimistic classics i.e. Pick Yourself Up, and songs like that...and posters are really cool in responding with their song choices on the topic.

Jazz standards about a good life/positivity

Anyway, I say keep positive and reflect on the health of your family as well as find ways to give you an excuse to get better at guitar like learning a (jazzed-up) tune to play for the little ones. Yeah, there's a point that you have to physically/mentally devote yourself to the wife & kids, so the axe needs to be put back in the case, but if playing music has a place in your heart & soul, don't deny that part of you either. Pare the priorities so there's more room for the most importing things in your life and identity.

User Info Menu

I am in Italy now at my in-laws and without a guitar for 3 weeks. I do not speak Italian so it can get rather boring. Since I come offen I am thinking I should get a cheap guitar and keep it here. One often does not know how much they love something until they cannot do it.

User Info Menu

Hobbies can wait, family first. There's little energy left for guitar after taking care of business, and family. <sigh>

User Info Menu

I have no kids, so I can't speak to that side of things, but in the past few years I've become overly familiar with the other end of the spectrum: taking care of an elderly parent.

Mom (89) has dementia and is much closer to the end stage than the beginning. (The consensus is stage 6 on the 7-stage scale, though these things are not cut-and-dried.) She has 3 other children who live in other states, so all her care fell into my lap. Also, since I wasn't married and had no kids, it was widely assumed I had nothing better to do with my life than to take care of her around the clock. Ugh.

The guitar has been my solace. But the emotional toll of seeing mom decline has been heavy. Having time is a good thing, but when you're exhausted and empty inside, it's hard to make much of it.

Mom recently entered an assisted-living facility. So I don't take care of her every day. (Though she will still call me and tell me bring her an aspirin or an Alka-Seltzer and I'll say, "Mom, there is a nurse a few feet away from you and it's her job to take care of you!" To which she says, "You're my son." It's the longest road I've ever traveled.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    ... One often does not know how much they love something until they cannot do it.
    Yes!

You wanna hear how insane it can get?

I don't fly anymore. I drive everywhere I need to go, and if I can't drive, I don't go.

Why? Simple. I have to have my guitar and amp, and I don't trust the airlines with either.

Oh it get's worse. "Afraid to fly." Pretty sure that's not it.

I was a pilot in the Air Force, for 22 years!

"Oh the insanity!"

User Info Menu

Sorry about your Mom, Mark. Stay strong. Been there.

User Info Menu

For me, career was much more of an obstacle to guitar playing than having children. In fact, it was having children that rekindled my interest in guitar. I wanted my kids to be exposed to music in the home, so I dusted off the guitar and played simple tunes for them. It got me in the habit of playing every day again, and I started looking for ways to make my playing a little more interesting. That eventually led to signing up for group lessons for playing from the great American songbook, and I became hooked.

As my kids became old enough for piano lessons, I was motivated to relearn some of the piano pieces I played as a child (thankfully my mother had kept those books), and when my kids started on wind instruments I tried to relearn a bit of clarinet. I haven’t developed much proficiency with either, but I feel dabbling in a couple of other instruments as well as singing a bit has helped me on guitar.

User Info Menu

I don't have kids so can't really comment, but I will say I think it is very cool and also heartwarming that so many people describe music as a way of connecting with their kids. as most people are parents, clearly there is a way to make parenting and playing music on a high level work well, and I have to suspect that letting the goals of being a good parent and a good musician serve each other seems like a strategy many have taken.