Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Who weren't singers themselves and were extremely successful after the band broke up:
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Being a lead guitarist is hard work and great for awhile, but better make sure you're best buds with the lead singer ala Mick-Keef or you'll be waiting 20 years for the reunion tour.

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

Ronnie Wood! ;o) (After the breakup of The Faces he got a gig with the Rolling Stones, which has lasted a lot longer than the gig that made him famous.)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Carlos Santana is interesting case, as his most famous band shared his name. Now, though, I think "Santana" means him, not the band.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Jim Hall

User Info Menu

Yardbirds Jeff Beck
    Yardbirds & Cream Eric Clapton
    Yardbirds Jimmy Page
    . . .

User Info Menu

Not talking about jazz, which is mainly instrumental anyway.

2 options: learn to sing (ala Clapton, George Harrison, Richard Thompson) or find a bigger band with an even more popular lead singer (ala Woods, Page). Or maybe learn to produce.

A lot of journeyman guitarists make a living: Mick Taylor, Dave Mason, Slash--some a pretty good living, but not at the level of popularity they once saw. There's a long list of lonely guitarists out there.

User Info Menu

dave mason sang..he had many hits...

he was original member of traffic

cheers

User Info Menu

OK Jeff Beck the exception that proves the rule, though of course he had a GREAT vocalist with his first band (like Santana)...

OTOH...
    Scotty Moore...
    Brian Jones...
    Dave Davies...
    Tom Fogarty...
    Robby Krieger...
    Roger McGuinn...
    John Cippolina...
    Jorma Kaukonen...
    Peter Banks...
    Steve Hackett...
    Andy Summers...
    Johnny Marr...
    John Frusciante...

The list goes on and on...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    dave mason sang..he had many hits...

he was original member of traffic

cheers
    Yes I know. He could sing and write songs too, which is why he did OK. But leaving Traffic when they were hitting their stride...bad timing IMO.

He had a respectable career, but he was no Steve Winwood.

User Info Menu

Amboy Dukes' Ted Nugent
    Make a jazz noise here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june View Post
    Amboy Dukes' Ted Nugent
    Ted certainly did well after the Amboy Dukes broke up, but he is also a singer. (Or at least a vocalist...;o)
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter is an interetsing case. He was part of at least two successful bands: Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers.
    He has had a lot of live and studio gigs since then. Very successful career, though it's not written about the way pop singers are written about.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Skunk has had a very interesting career indeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Jeff "Skunk" Baxter is an interetsing case. He was part of at least two successful bands: Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers.
    He has had a lot of live and studio gigs since then. Very successful career, though it's not written about the way pop singers are written about.
    He also has a side gig in the defense industry.
    From Music to Missile Defense: The Very Interesting Life of Jeff Baxter – Northrop Grumman

User Info Menu

Danny Bonaduce became a "radio/television personality, comedian, professional wrestler," so I guess you could say he's not wanting of success
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Robin Trower, after leaving Procul Harum, fronted his own trio (and did not sing).

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Skunk Baxter's main success was as a Doobie Brother. Yes he has played a lot outside those groups, but I suspect most of his income and fame have come from his work with the Doobs. (He knew which side his bread was buttered on, in other words.)

Trower is a bit like Jeff Beck, being an excellent guitarist who succeeds in a certain niche. I don't know about all his records, but many have featured vocalists, as have some of Beck's.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 04-17-2019 at 03:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    Skunk Baxter's main success was as a Doobie Brother. Yes he has played a lot outside those groups, but I suspect most of his income and fame have come from his work with the Doobs. (He knew which side his bread was buttered on, in other words.)
    I don't know about that. I was much more of a Steely Dan fan, and that's the band that first comes to mind when I think of him. And the Doobies (at least his part in the band) was AFTER that, so it counts as a case of a non-singing guitarist doing well after the break-up of a great band. ;o)

Here's a bit from a WaPo interview about his non-musical gig:

>>>Back in the early ’90s, I wrote a paper on utilizing the Navy platform and a Navy air defense system for theater missile defense based on some knowledge that I had. A few months later I gave it to a congressman friend of mine who then gave it to the vice chairman of the Armed Services Committee. And he said, “Is this guy from Raytheon or Boeing?” and he said, “No, he’s a guitar player for the Doobie Brothers.” Without getting into too much detail, let’s just say that another community had reached out to me. And so next thing I knew, I was strapped to a chair and telling them everything I knew, and then ended up at Lawrence Livermore [National Laboratory] with Department of Energy clearances for nuclear weapons and stuff. So I’ve been doing this for quite a long time, and once you’re in the system and if you can contribute, people seem to want to reach out and avail themselves of whatever talents you have. <<<<<

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...=.acb82acd97bb

And here's one of Baxter's best solos with Steely Dan. (Denny Dias also solos on this one.)

And here's his solo on Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff". Solo starts at 2:25

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Jimmy Herring
    Duke Robillard
    Arlen Roth
    GE Smith
    Hiram Bullock
    Pat Metheny

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    "Songs are very interesting things to do to the air." -Tom Waits