Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

Language Question (English word needed)

You know that person - possibly a guitarist but you'll find them everywhere - constantly over estimating his/her skills but trying to show off anyway. Mostly in playing too fast. Timing goes to hell (if it's been there in the first place). Everything is imprecise, undefined, inarticulate.

Is there a word for this kind of person? For this kind of doing?

Someone suggested "to botch" , does that fit? Could you call that person a "botcher"?

Thanks in advance!

--- The ultimate answer to almost all guitar questions: "Practice more!" ---

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban View Post
    You know that person - possibly a guitarist but you'll find them everywhere - constantly over estimating his/her skills but trying to show off anyway. Mostly in playing too fast. Timing goes to hell (if it's been there in the first place). Everything is imprecise, undefined, inarticulate.

Is there a word for this kind of person? For this kind of doing?

Someone suggested "to botch" , does that fit? Could you call that person a "botcher"?

Thanks in advance!
    I think such a person is called a "dimeola" [rim shot]

But seriously, to botch just means to mess up or make mistakes. It does not connote showing off or overestimating one's abilities. Botcher is not a word. What you're describing sounds like "over-inflated sense of self," or "overconfident" I don't think there's an exact one-word for a person with this trait. The act of exaggerating one's abilities is "puffery" (as in puffing oneself up), but i don't think there's word for a person who does this. Someone who claims abilities he doesn't have with the intent to deceive could be called a charlatan or a fake, but that doesn't sound like the kind of person you're describing. TL;DR: English may be Germanic, but it ain't German when it comes to making one long word out of a bunch of short ones.

John

Thanks a lot John!

Funny how you exactly describe the person (yes, it's a particular person I need that word for). I'm happy with your suggestions. There doesn't need to be a one word description.

"over-inflated sense of self" is my favorite... hahaha to the point! :-D

Thanks again!

"Wanker" isn't everything you're describing, but for American English among guitarists, it's getting pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    "Wanker" isn't everything you're describing, but for American English among guitarists, it's getting pretty close.
    I think you're right, at least in this particular case....

If you could see me now ... grin goes from ear to ear...

Hexacourse Onanist.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

I dunno but you could riff on the Dunning-Kruger Effect:

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.[1]

Build bridges, not walls.

Typically self-described as "advanced intermediate"...
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

I think "hack" might apply fairly well. Or perhaps braggadocious hack".

I would go with "clueless" it covers a lot of bases as far as self-delusion is concerned.

PS: "bases" is a play on the bases in a baseball game -- you cover a lot of them to get to home plate (the place where you started).

In my neck of the trailer park we still just call them assholes.

I think one of these might work. If not precisely what you are looking for, they are close I think.

poser a person who pretends to be someone they are not, or a person who attempts to impress others.

dilettante person having a superficial interest in an art or a branch of knowledge

Took the word right out of my mouth...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

I like the terms wanker and poseur.

I ran into one two days ago. I was at a music store trying out some stuff and one of the EMPLOYEES was walking around with acoustic banging away this horrible riff, over and over. I'm older now and don't care what most people think, so I said, "Hey I'm trying to hear if I like this or not and your playing is annoying." His fragile coddled millennial brain seemed on the verge of short circuiting as I may have been the first person ever to not praise his deep creative knowledge of open chords... but he stopped.

Come to think of it, I can be a real jerk to these types. One time some obnoxious hipster whose pedantic self serving ravings were making a restaurant intolerable to every table in the place, later came up to me and commented quite loudly and obnoxiously on my Coltrane t-shirt. "Dude, that shirt is so awesome, where did you get it?" I responded, "Name three of his songs and I will tell you." He said nothing and walked away!

It's German.

Language Question (English word needed)-220px-wankel-1-jpg
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO View Post
    Took the word right out of my mouth...
    Took "wanker" right out of your mouth...

I can't unsee it now that I have seen it...

To poseur and wanker you could add blow-hard. Insecure, too
    In Spanish "fantasma".

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    In my neck of the trailer park we still just call them assholes.
    Sometimes they're called a wannabe, or bullshitter is another useful term.

Hi I'm a talentless sociopath who would like to make money from music. I've had an offer to be an online assassin for google but.... I like to be my own boss.

I tried to explain this to my friends but they found my language somewhat arcane.

Can anyone offer alternatives for these old fashioned words; quisling, phony, buffoon and mark (in the gambling sense).

Now, you'll probably think I'm joking here but my friends didn't even understand the word coward. I know, it seems ridiculous but they are a different generation, they hunt in packs, for scraps.

Surely there are modern alternatives to these old words which come without the unfortunate baggage of context, history and learning. I found this place and I thought, yup this is where I can find the modern way.

Thanks in advance and, see you around.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed