The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I like the middle position on a two pickup guitar. There is a bit of frequency cancellation (pickups wired in parallel) that can make the sound more "acoustic" sounding and there's a lot of tonal shades in there by mixing the volumes.
    My beloved Les Paul quacks like a constipated duck when I use both pups, though I really haven’t spent much time experimenting with mixing the two volumes. Any basic suggestions you could offer as a starting point? I typically use the neck with the tone around 6 and the volume at just 2 to 4 as the amp volume is set fairly high.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    My beloved Les Paul quacks like a constipated duck when I use both pups, though I really haven’t spent much time experimenting with mixing the two volumes. Any basic suggestions you could offer as a starting point? I typically use the neck with the tone around 6 and the volume at just 2 to 4 as the amp volume is set fairly high.
    Actually the "quack" is what a lot of blues and rock players are looking for (including me when I play blues or classic rock).

For a more transparent middle position sound try this as a starting point: neck volume higher than bridge volume (take your time and experiment a bit with the balance) and roll off the tone on the bridge pickup to where you seem to like it. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Nobody has mentioned it yet, so I will...

A guitar with TWO pickups routed in the top will vibrate in a very different way than a guitar with only one pickup, and there's a difference between a routed humbucker and say a P-90 too, which is much less intrusive to the top wood.

All of this makes for a guita that sounds...DIFFERENT...won't dare say better or worse.

But I can definitely say 2 pickup archtops tend to be more feedback resistant.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I have the expertise here, but in every jazz guitar I ever had when I played jazz it was the neck pickup. I now have a jazz guitar with only a neck pickup and I don;t feel it is missing anything. Meanwhile on other electric guitars, the different pickups can be a great way to make the instrument more versatile. I love the sound of the neck pickup on my strat and my Nashville Tele offers many interesting combinations.

User Info Menu

Without the second pickup you'd have a big hole.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Without the second pickup you'd have a big hole.
    Nothing a little duct tape can’t fix!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mississippi
    I always wondered about that. Do you guys usually play only with the neck pickup?

I've always felt for a warm and a fuller tone, the neck pickup is the way to go.
    In live band situation, generally I (used to) play with bridge PU. Even if I start with neck PU, try to go for specific tone, or sound, after a while I have to switch to Bridge, to even be able to hear my self cutting through all the noise. It applies to all genres, from Punk to Free improvisation.

On recordings, I tend to always use neck PU on Tele. On hollow body and HM guitar, I switch around, as needed. Although it does not make much difference once the signal went through FX box.
    In any case, it can always be fixed in the mix.

User Info Menu

Most archtops sold have two pickups. That alone says something.

I'd be happy with just a neck pickup. But more is more fun to explore and play around with.

Why 2 (or more) Pickups on an Archtop?!-jazz-jpg

User Info Menu

Slightly oversimplified, but...

neck -> jazz
    bridge -> blues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Technically you need Bridge pickup on a Jazz guitar. Many Jazz songs have a bridge section, that's when you supposed to switch to Bridge position. ...
    That's why I prefer a strat so much of the time for other genres of music ... it has the bridge pickup for the bridge, and one each for the verse and chorus as well.

Both of my hollowbodies are single pickup. I'd like another 335 one day, because that "in the middle" pickup sound is so awesome for other styles of music, but I never really cared for anything that bright playing jazz.

User Info Menu

I play 98% of the time just the neck pickup (on my ES-135), and 2% of the time in the middle position. I NEVER play just the bridge. I would be happy with a single-pickup 135.

I’ll be honest...I don’t play rock at all and don’t really understand or know how to use the bridge pickup. It’s a black hole of tinny sounds as far as I’m concerned. Except perhaps for some Tele chicken-pickin’. Otherwise, I have no idea why Jimmy Page or Peter Frampton or whoever would ever use the bridge pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Most archtops sold have two pickups. That alone says something.

I'd be happy with just a neck pickup. But more is more fun to explore and play around with.

Why 2 (or more) Pickups on an Archtop?!-jazz-jpg

I almost let this one go back to the person I bought it from. So here are some comments on this instrument.

Three pickups are more fun than two. They are not necessarily better if you are playing straight jazz. But there is more fun to be had, for sure. Some might argue that it's a waste of time playing around with knobs and switches. My position is that enjoyment is the whole point, at least for me.

Importantly, three pickups on an 18" guitar look awesome (I do mean awesome!). It's larger and heavier, which is a small price to pay!
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 04-06-2019 at 02:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    ... I fell in love with this ES-125 and finally came out of the closet: I LOVE SINGLE PICKUP GUITARS!
    Can't agree more even if on my Tal I like the bridge pickup once in a while with the rolled off tone or even mixed in with the neck.
    When it comes to my 125, it not only made me realize I love single pickup guitar, but I also dig the vintage P90 single coil and can really live well with the absence of cutaway

User Info Menu

How on earth do you guys manage with only two?

Why 2 (or more) Pickups on an Archtop?!-9b2ff7c9-e41e-47b7-96c8-4cced2c2f651-jpg

User Info Menu

It's not a sound that I'd use often but I do like the sound of the bridge pickup with the tone on 2 or 3. All the tinny-ness is dialed out and there's a thick fundamental left, but it's totally different to the neck pickup. Chet Atkins has that kind of sound happening on the 'Chester and Lester' album at times.

User Info Menu

At least two of the most iconic jazz gits that have both a two pup and a single pup sibling the two pup versions are on top of the heap in sales numbers. ES-175's with two pups out number the single pup version, as does the L5 CES and Wes Mo. Why? Only players who own or owned both can say, if they can get around their own biases one way or the other :-)

OTOH, Eastman seems to sell and have more single pup models than anyone else while several of their two pup models have gone away, while the single pup AR371 is gone from their web pages while the 372 remains.

Oh, and rockers do use the neck pup, I've seen Ritchie Blackmore use it often... nothing's cast in stone.