Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

It's been 11 years since I pulled the plug on cable. Their intrusive advertising (remember their sales pitch "Sure you PAY us but we do not have commercials?") made paying for cable just stupid, and I've never looked back.

My last 360 degree UHF antenna (Radio Shack ~$60) was 11 years old before it decomposed from the strong sun, rain and wind here in So. Flo. Pretty good all things considered.

To replace it, I bought a Winegard Metrostar antenna about 6 months ago and I'm extremely pleased with it. I live right in the middle of three metro areas (Ft.Lauderdale, Miami, and West palm beach) and I get some 60+ channels. No small feat.

Of course not all of the channels fit my viewing needs but well more than 30 do from ALL directions, I'd guess that I'm getting stations within 50 "air" miles from my home. Since no other stations are broadcasting beyond that I cannot attest to the extreme range capability of the Winegard.

My antenna is located right at the bottom slope of my roofline, I would expect better performance if I raised it above the roof peak, but as it is it's good enough to not care.

FULL TIME Genre channels I receive include PBS (2), Qubo (kids) oldies/classics (3), western, Sci-Fi, adventure/detective (3), shopping(3), Create, Weather, and more these easily justify losing cable.

OK, on the slightly down side, if you have a dish for TV, you'll immediately recognize the minimal problems. In heavy rain and cloud cover, reception gets sketchy from stations further away. That's it. There is ALWAYS more than enough viewable to not make it a big deal.

In the 11+ years since pulling the plug on expensive cable (I'm guessing nearly $5,000 saved, and more money for gear), I've collected a wonderful DVD collection. Being a self proclaimed "Vidiot" I like being able to watch what I want AND have something tangible left rather than a cable bill. YMMV.

From the Winegard site...

"Did you know the average household receives 189 Tv channels with cable, but uses only 17 of them"

I believe that as I used about that many on my last cable connection. Sure I don't get History and other channels like that, but there are replacements like the very good Quest channel.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I dropped cable last year.

Put this antenna in my attic and get all the major networks plus many of the minor stations.

It wouldn't stand up to outdoor use.

I'm within 50 miles of two major cities.

Of course I still pay for internet service.

Cutting the cable-s-l1000-jpg

User Info Menu

I get more than 90 channels over the air, and watch maybe 5. PBS has 3 that are worthwhile, and I sometimes watch one of the networks. Seldom anything else. I can get anything I care about via the internet, and put it on any of the TVs via chromecast. I haven't had cable since AT&T finally provided DSL to my neighborhood some years back. They keep trying to sell me TV, but I keep declining. I have upgraded the DSL to whatever they call it now. The only reason I had cable at all years ago was that it was the only way to get broadband internet, and dialup was becoming frustrating in its slowness, even with the 2400 baud modem upgrade. I ditched cable as soon as I could, and never missed it. The only thing I pay for is a subscription to MLB so that I can watch baseball games, on my computer or on whatever TV I select, or on my phone if things are dire and I'm away from home. Paying for cable TV seems silly to me.

User Info Menu

I got an atennea maybe 15 years ago, it's in the attic. I get maybe 50 channels with about 25 of them being spanish channels. I get all the networks and the 3 KPBS channels. I have a DVR and record what I watch, I don't watch commercials that way. I also have ROKU and Amazon Prime both which gives a additional content. We have more content than we can keep up with.

It really depends on where you live. Being a state with a lot of mountains, some nearby friends get hardly any content, I think they only get a sketchy signal for Fox and a couple other channels. In the mountain resort areas of Southern California most can't get any OTA channels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    I dropped cable last year.

Put this antenna in my attic and get all the major networks plus many of the minor stations.

It wouldn't stand up to outdoor use.

I'm within 50 miles of two major cities.

Of course I still pay for internet service.

Cutting the cable-s-l1000-jpg

I have 10 gigs of 4g WiFi with my phone carrier for my PC's and tablet and I can't even use that much for the web as I don't stream anything but the occasional Listen to WDNA 88.9FM Serious Jazz Live - Miami'''s Only Source for Prime Time Jazz | iHeartRadio which has a skinny data rate. So even my DSL went bye bye a couple of years ago.

Today I bought a new TV, and the input sensitivity must be a little better as I got 61 channels, after dumping the kid, and other language based channels I got a few more channels.

Boy, the next think is a cabin in the woods... not! :-)

User Info Menu

I pulled the antennae over 40 years ago.

Nobody has been able to tell me what I have been missing since then. (Despite many tries.)

User Info Menu

Watching television is so last century.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonedeaf
    I pulled the antennae over 40 years ago.

Nobody has been able to tell me what I have been missing since then. (Despite many tries.)
    So then what do you binge on?!?!

User Info Menu

Me? Central Market Saigon Cinnamon ice cream.

User Info Menu

TV cuts into time to work on music. And use your brain. Nothing but s**t on anyway.

User Info Menu

I also cut the cord and bought Amazon Firestick. I installed IPTV app for FireStick Gears TV Reloaded IPTV: How to Install on FireStick /Android Box and now I can watch 350 channels and several international channels. I should say, I'm pleased with it as I have more channels than I had before and don't have to pay big bills every month.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kate888
    I also cut the cord and bought Amazon Firestick. I installed IPTV app for FireStick Gears TV Reloaded IPTV: How to Install on FireStick /Android Box and now I can watch 350 channels and several international channels. I should say, I'm pleased with it as I have more channels than I had before and don't have to pay big bills every month.
    Ethically, how is this different than stealing cable tv?

User Info Menu

There are pay IPTV providers, they just don't charge as much as cable companies. They have no overhead for trucks, cable guys, cable, or anything else, so their costs are much lower. There are also pirate sources, of course.

User Info Menu

I have an antenna in the attic and get about 25 channels, mostly unwatchable. Lots of 1950s westerns and 1970s sitcoms. More sports than I ought to watch; I live 3000 miles away from the college I went to, and probably half the games have been on live TV. I have TIVO DVR with lifetime guide, so I can record and watch stuff later.

But the main thing is the YouTube app on the TIVO. That's 90% of what I watch. In the last month or so I have watched La Dolce Vita, La Strada, and 2/3s of the Ozu Noriko trilogy, not to mention a ridiculous amount of ephemera.

User Info Menu

only antenna (rabbit ears!) i have is for my vintage technics fm tuner!..(love the local classical station-kdfc)...never had cable tv...ugh... "i'm tryin to play the guitar here!!"

was online early on tho! hah

cheers

ps- first glance, thought this thread was about guitar cables!!! cut and re--solder...many times, yes..haha