Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

What do you folks use to backup your PC's?

Working many years is laboratories where PC's could NOT have any outside network access, I developed dos scripts/batch files to save mission critical data to USB / external drives. After initial copy, updates take seconds.

I'm still using them today.

So, how do you keep your stuff safe?

PS, I don't like "cloud" backups as some of my stuff is sensitive and I want my data "for my eyes only"
    Regards,

Gary

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I use the cloud, with rclone, an adaptation of rsync which will sync with cloud sites or local drives, or both. Any files that are sensitive, I encrypt with gnupg. If you don't trust gnupg encryption, you shouldn't trust the locks on your doors, either. I also back up to local drives, using rclone. I could do it with rsync, but rclone is handy. I have some files that change often enough, and are sensitive enough, that I don't want to encrypt them. I keep them on two flash drives, which sync hourly with rclone. As I said, rsync would do as well, but I'm lazy, and used to rclone. If you're using Windows or a Mac, I have no advice to give. I've been using Linux exclusively for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    If you don't trust gnupg encryption, you shouldn't trust the locks on your doors, either.
    Who trusts the locks on their doors? Not me. :-) PS, I don't use Linux much.

What do you folks use to backup your PC's?-warning-jpg
    Regards,

Gary

External hard drive.
    "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates
    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.” - Alan Wilson Watts

I backup to the cloud using iDrive. It's terrible. Just terrible.
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

Of course ‘the cloud’ is just a fancy word for ‘somebody else‘s computer’.

Actually, 'somebody elses's computers'. Data is stored on multiple servers in multiple locations. If one datacenter blows up, the others still have everything. If my external hard drive dies, the data is lost. That's why I use two flash drives for the small number of files I need quick access to. If both of those die, I still have encrypted backups of them in the cloud. My password safe database lives in the cloud, so that I won't lose it. But it's encrypted there, so I don't worry about it.

A friend said that Icloud has a coherency issue. Delete something local, and it goes away in "the cloud" That's not backup, it's a remote RAID1 and not for me.

A local SSD on the USB or with a memory stick is perfect for my needs.

What do you folks use to backup your PC's?-bakitup2_screenshot-jpg
    Regards,

Gary

man i had some good stuff on floppy disk!!

haha

cheers

We have Time Machine running on all our computers, backing to external drives. On a regular basis we backup to portable drives using Carbon Copy Cloner, and rotate those to a secure offsite location.

Danny W

On my windows machine I’ve been using Acronis True Image for a nightly incremental backup to an external HD. I have two backup drives, keeping one offsite and exchanging them every few weeks.

I also use a cloud service to automatically back up photos.

Another Linux user here. I just rsync to external drives. For private stuff I use LUKS-encrypted usbsticks.

Note that MySpace just lost 50 million songs by 14 million artists (12 years of data) during a server migration.

Solid state memory keeps getting cheaper and cheaper, and soon hard drives will be obsolete. How about backing up to a tiny external 2TB USB SSD for under $80?

Old fashion here,
    For my data I use my homemade backup script to copy them on 3 different external hardrive (regular no ssd) that are powered and running only for the time of the backup. 3 times the same info independently, odds are very low to loose them all at once!
    Solid state drives and flash drives have more tendency for corruption so I don't trust them as a archiving purpose.
    For the whole computer I use AOEMI once in a while and take an image
    ...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

Actually, solid state drives are much more reliable than magnetic drives. Having three separate backups is good, but if you have them all in one place, they can all be destroyed at once. A fire would wipe them out. I used to keep backups in a safe deposit box at the bank, but that was long ago. Now, I keep them on Dropbox and Google Drive, kept in sync by rclone. I feel confident that there won't be a total loss of both at the same time. All my music is stored on Google, and I stream it as I like. It's also on a local hard drive, but I almost never access that. It's easier to just say "Hey Google, play Jimmy Raney" and listen on a good stereo amp and speakers without needing to do anything else.

The thing about backups and online storage is that if the data is set to sync, then deleting locally also deletes it everywhere. That's what synchronizing does. If you don't want to delete everywhere, then don't sync, just copy. There are better ways, though. For instance, Dropbox saves previous versions of everything, and if you delete something, you can get it back.

Does good karma count?

Only if you believe in it.

I have nothing of any value on the PC. Everything's on flash drives in case it goes down.

Microsoft One Drive comes free with Office 365 subscription. I have no complaints.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed