The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well it’s obvious, Ben is trying to strangle Coltrane.
    Haha! - now that would make sense...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    I stumbled across this little article in the NY Times and thought I'd pass it along.
    Is This the Greatest Photo in Jazz History? - The New York Times
    Love the mural on the back wall.

User Info Menu

Loafers with a suit, and yet people were shocked and appalled by the prevalent use of the flatted fifth?

User Info Menu

Another nice jazz article, this time about jazz exposure for kids. I think this is a good way to pass on the torch to new generations. I know I got interested in jazz as a kid when I saw movies with music by Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Louie Armstrong, and others. I still love that stuff!
    Affordable music for the family in NYC? Try a jazz club

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    This is what's called an infamous jazz photo....

Cue for a caption competition?
    Yeah I was thinking more like ‘WTF are you doing on my stage MF, get the F outa here!’

Which I believe is probably what Miles actually said when Wynton invaded the stage.
    Miles' version, in his autobiography, is exactly as you guess, Graham. Spot on.

Wynton's version, told here, has milder language but clearly reflects the hubris of the moment. Wynton is not a person who built his reputation on humility but it is clear that he got humbled that night.

If I could pick one jazz musician to never surprise by coming onstage uninvited, it would be Miles Davis.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Miles' version, in his autobiography, is exactly as you guess, Graham. Spot on.

Wynton's version, told here, has milder language but clearly reflects the hubris of the moment. Wynton is not a person who built his reputation on humility but it is clear that he got humbled that night.

If I could pick one jazz musician to never surprise by coming onstage uninvited, it would be Miles Davis.
    To be honest I probably remembered it from Miles' autobiography which I read when it came out. But I would have said the same even if I hadn't read it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    I stumbled across this little article in the NY Times and thought I'd pass it along.
    Is This the Greatest Photo in Jazz History? - The New York Times

Does anybody know where one could purchase a professional reprint of this photo? I searched and came up empty.

User Info Menu

I can accept Monk's decision. Too often a piano and a guitar player in one band clash harmonically and rhythmically, overloading the music, giving too less freedom and 'breathing'.