The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 119

User Info Menu

Not following, can you elaborate a little bit?

Oh, and what is "drily"? Is that like "dilly dilly!", a nonsense term that has no meaning? You Brits talk so funny.

EDIT: Dilly actually has (or had) meaning, maybe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Someone should start a vocabulary thread.

User Info Menu

if i may, i've studied quite a bit of the British speak around here.

Innit= isn't it
    cushtie= cool or okay
    Badger's nadgers= literally a badger's testicles, but has some sort of meaning beyond that
    Bollocks- also testicles

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say dry + ly = drily, or dryly, is slang, but I'm always up for learning lingo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I can believe $1 daily wage in China and a few other places in Asia and Africa - but not for professional white collar work. Regardless, I don't do business with them.

More like India, and at $30.000 per hour, but I don't know how much of that goes to the individual, less than half I'll bet. So... maybe it's more like $100.00 per day.
    Indian call centres recruit graduates - it's a highly sought after post, average wage is around US $3,000 pa, US $10 per day...?

I lived in West Africa for 10 years, my wife's cousin does 12-15 hour shifts 6 days a week driving someone else's taxi, he gets about US $40 a month. Her Uncle drives huge trucks (10 days on, 2 days off) for a major French company building infrastructure, bridges, dams, airports, roads etc. He's currently working in Guinea, before that he was in Ivory Coast for two years - he gets a much higher wage as an expat, currently it's around US $106 per month...a friend runs the local office of a major airline (technically there's a European in charge but my mate does everything and everyone knows it), he earns around the same. Plus side he gets flights worldwide for 4% of the ticket price. Minus side he can't take the time of (he runs everything...).

The head of the main office of the National security services (don't know the US equivalent but they cover what in the UK would be both MI5 & MI6's remit - ie domestic & overseas intelligence stuff) gets around US $200 per month, In the last 18 months he's been to conferences in the UK, Europe, Saudi, US, Morocco, Davos....

All these people are supporting extended families, and they're the lucky ones with good jobs...

User Info Menu

I am surprised that educated jazz musicians (or close) who master English and economics still do not realize that slavery was a real mistake
    ... Although having produced acclaimed musical styles and unambiguous lyrics, slavery was much less profitable than the current order of the world ...

User Info Menu

China is already feeling the effects of increasing labor costs with their workers and is heavily investing in robotics to stay competitive.

It's no longer the go-to place for low cost labor.

Their ability to provide low cost labor resulted in the China Miracle, raising their standard of living dramatically.

There have been no studies of its effect on the Chinese jazz scene.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Indian call centres recruit graduates - it's a highly sought after post, average wage is around US $3,000 pa, US $10 per day...?

I lived in West Africa for 10 years, my wife's cousin does 12-15 hour shifts 6 days a week driving someone else's taxi, he gets about US $40 a month. Her Uncle drives huge trucks (10 days on, 2 days off) for a major French company building infrastructure, bridges, dams, airports, roads etc. He's currently working in Guinea, before that he was in Ivory Coast for two years - he gets a much higher wage as an expat, currently it's around US $106 per month...a friend runs the local office of a major airline (technically there's a European in charge but my mate does everything and everyone knows it), he earns around the same. Plus side he gets flights worldwide for 4% of the ticket price. Minus side he can't take the time of (he runs everything...).

The head of the main office of the National security services (don't know the US equivalent but they cover what in the UK would be both MI5 & MI6's remit - ie domestic & overseas intelligence stuff) gets around US $200 per month, In the last 18 months he's been to conferences in the UK, Europe, Saudi, US, Morocco, Davos....

All these people are supporting extended families, and they're the lucky ones with good jobs...

Yeah, not surprising. Of course none of those are white collar jobs, even the call center gig, degree or no.

So, do you think that the economies in India and West Africa are in equilibrium or not? Why do you believe that their labor costs/rates are so low?

User Info Menu

I would quote Ry Cooder : "the very thing that makes you rich makes me poor"
    Nothing against the US ... the french and the brits were in this business way before

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gobi34
    I would quote Ry Cooder : "the very thing that makes you rich makes me poor"
    Nothing against the US ... the french and the brits were in this business way before
    Sorry but you are talking in riddles.

Can you walk up to the plate and take a legitimate swing at the two questions that I posed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Someone should start a vocabulary thread.
    That would be the dog's bollocks...

User Info Menu

I am not in diplomacy but can current geopolitics be read ?
    Don't urge these guys to become equal to western countries otherwise ... they will
    hopefully, finance is on our side !
    We could also cheat on the offer and demand principle : guess why you pay 2US$ for 1 Lb of basmati rice while bengali, indians and pakies have same rice for 2c/Lb? It is not ethical to make them starve but not unethical to keep them where they are

User Info Menu

Yeah, not surprising. Of course none of those are white collar jobs, even the call center gig, degree or no.
    I'd call the day to day running of an (European National Carrier) airline, albeit in a small country with only a few flights a white collar job ? Ditto running a country's security services...both these people allocate budgets, hire & fire staff, negotiate with governments, set policy, liaise with national & international agencies, attend and speak at conferences worldwide. They both wear white shirts...what am I missing ?

User Info Menu

manipulated cost of living ... wages that are sustainable in certain countries become unsustainable if you want to travel to the ruling planet
    Am I wrong ?

User Info Menu

You're not making any sense to me, sorry.

Here's a hint.

The reason that their wages are so low is because their supply of blue collar labor is plentiful relative to the demand for it. Yes, they could raise their prices - but - they would risk losing the demand that they have and so desperately need. (Call Centers are popping up in Latin America, The Phillppines, Singapore, for one example, etc.) So, it's a balancing act.

Those of us in the west could always white-guilt hand-wring ourselves to the point of disinvesting from there altogether if the guilt becomes unbearable. Of course that would raise prices here in the west. Not great, but we could adjust. But what would it do for them? Well, it would cause the above referenced "lucky ones" to join the ranks of the unlucky ones.

I guess you're for that then?

User Info Menu

acknowledged ...
    The one who waves the whip feels superior
    Hope the world carries on your way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I'd call the day to day running of an (European National Carrier) airline, albeit in a small country with only a few flights a white collar job ? Ditto running a country's security services...both these people allocate budgets, hire & fire staff, negotiate with governments, set policy, liaise with national & international agencies, attend and speak at conferences worldwide. They both wear white shirts...what am I missing ?
    Not sure but you admitted that there is someone else in charge but your mate does all the work. Sounds like a secretary job to me, maybe I'm wrong? Can't really tell from your description. And the security job that you mentioned - is also unclear. Is the person military, government, or not? If yes, talk to the government about that, not the market. Everybody knows government jobs aren't money makers. The traditional draw has been benefits, job security, a pension, etc.

User Info Menu

acknowledged ...
    The one who waves the whip feels superior
    Hope the world carries on your way
    You have no solutions, models, remedies, only hyperbole. You do realize how worthless that is, right?

User Info Menu

On a serious note (no pun intended), the best sustaining guitar I ever had was a Goldtop Les Paul.

That guitar had beautiful tone and the sustain was superb.

As I have mentioned previously, it unfortunately was too heavy for me and I sold it.

It is the only LP I ever had so I don't know if great sustain is particular to LPs or if this guitar was just special.

User Info Menu

You have no solutions, models, remedies, only hyperbole. You do realize how worthless that is, right?
    I would join my christian fellow to reaffirm that humans are all born equal
    No physical, financial nor political whip will prevail for long
    No matter what happens, the US never learn from past or recent history ?
    Please tell me that I am wrong ...

User Info Menu

Again my friend, check the OP, this thread is about guitar in the context of; tree hugging, worker safety and wages, global warming, and animal hide glue. Did I miss one?

Other than that - heck no, all humans born equal? How silly. You are making a religious reference anyway - men are born equal in the eyes of God. Of course my secular humanist friends tell me that there no such thing, so the only equality that they intend to implement is through Marxism. Talk about low wages, winners/losers and cracking the whip, sheesh.

Lastly, no Euro, especially a French or English person dare lecture anyone else about hegemony, usurpation, and domination.

User Info Menu

American (British) Colonies Declaration of Independence 1776:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

>

It means you have the right to pursue your own life's course. No guarantees. No promises of success. You can succeed based on your talents. You can also fail utterly.

User Info Menu

Sorry I wasn't around to answer jazzstdnts query - but I see it was amply responded to - been in the studio with some lovely and similarly non economically rational people willing to play my weird music for no money.

Make of that economically what you will. I think I will sell many tens of downloads!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    American (British) Colonies Declaration of Independence 1776:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

>

It means you have the right to pursue your own life's course. No guarantees. No promises of success. You can succeed based on your talents. You can also fail utterly.
    Right, not economic equality.

User Info Menu

I am so sorry to have raised a point of view that broadens the ethics from cutting trees to mankind.
    I ask Your Majesty to excuse my presumption