Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 89

Thread: Jazz Shredders?

Jazz Shredders?

Can you guys recommend any albums where the guitarist is blowing through changes like a maniacal demon, sort of like when Pat Martino is on fire (lol, when isn't he?)? I'm looking for some inspiration to listen to while at my day job (blech). THANKS!!

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Al Di Meola and Frank Gambale.
    When they choose to be.
    Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny. FZ

Tal Farlow in the 50's could TEAR SHIT UP.

You want some jazz shred, check out Jimmy Rosenberg.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Jimmy Bruno can burn, too. Tal was known for playing fast.

^agree! jimmy bruno..even post catastrophic illness..still burns!!!...his recent iridium nyc date..he was on fire...blazing!

he posted portions on his daily vids on u-tube

he knows and loves pat martino..his fellow philly blazer

for amazing clean old school tone, but fast & accurate picking..jimmys still hard to beat

cheers

Define shredder or shredding please.

Given that it comes from metal and/or prog rock where changes are few, it's difficult to understand what it means other than playing fast. And does it also imply fast picking as opposed to slurring, or not?

And Pat Martino? Not slow by any means, but not one of the fastest jazz guitarists either.

Benson can melt faces and still groove like no other.

Andreas Oberg likes to shred.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    And Pat Martino? Not slow by any means, but not one of the fastest jazz guitarists either.
    ???

I did define it in the post . . . "blowing through changes like a maniacal demon"

Silvain Luc
    Russel Malone

Joe Pass was pretty rapid when he wanted. Definitely one of the fastest.

This is ridiculous. There are other examples on other albums. There's 'Just Friends' with Oscar Peterson on YouTube. That's very good 'musical' fast playing as opposed to manic stuff like Caravan here!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    ???

Exactly, that's fast, not slow by any means. But not super fast. Joe Pass played faster than that at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sushko View Post
    I did define it in the post . . . "blowing through changes like a maniacal demon"
    Sure whatever, except that's not the origin or meaning of the term by the adolescent metal head guitar nerds.

So to answer your question - anybody playing an uptempo jazz tune in competent fashion should do the trick.

This is one of my go-to examples:

And since spreading the gospel of Arthur Rhames is part of my schtick, here's a recording that should do the trick (wait for it):

This doesn’t hang around

Doug Raney - Giant Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sushko View Post
    Can you guys recommend any albums where the guitarist is blowing through changes like a maniacal demon, sort of like when Pat Martino is on fire (lol, when isn't he?)? I'm looking for some inspiration to listen to while at my day job (blech). THANKS!!
    Closer to home, take a listen to some of Jack Zucker's videos right here on this forum. Talk about face melting jazz shredding!

How could I have forgotten about Forman? Somehow he completely slipped my mind.

Oh, this is stupid:

The Bireli Lagrene standards album sounds as though it might be to your taste.

Have no secrets, hear no lies.

allan holdsworth. he pretty much invented shredding.

Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Cool, have not heard of this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by dasein View Post
    This is one of my go-to examples:

Always a Benson fan . . . haven't heard this though, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    This doesn’t hang around

Excellent, I forgot about Foreman!

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    Son of Jimmy? This too is what I'm looking for!

Yep, Andreas Oberg has some pretty rare capabilities. A little bit Gypsy, a little bit Benson, a little bit anything jazz guitar related. He can really cover it all.

Oh. Here's one more "burner" (not "shredder") You have probably heard of this guy.

Stop it with the f*si*n

Here’s some real jazz shred

Been listening this week to Mansur Brown, a young player here in London.

Here he is channelling some Pete Cosey vibes with drummer Yussef Dayes, keyboardist Alfa Mist and bassist Rocco Palladino (yes, Pino's son is also a monster bassist). Mansur lets rip at 4:45.

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

Barney Kessel - Jordu

This gets a move on. Martijn Van Iterson on guitar. The tune is Jimmy Raney's 'Parker 51' (Cherokee changes).

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Been listening this week to Mansur Brown, a young player here in London.

Here he is channelling some Pete Cosey vibes with drummer Yussef Dayes, keyboardist Alfa Mist and bassist Rocco Palladino (yes, Pino's son is also a monster bassist). Mansur lets rip at 4:45.

Yeah man, dug that a lot. Thanks!

Like Jiim Hall said...."guys are playing like it's a track meet" ......

It isn't a race....if you you hear some fast shit....play it....etc etc

I've also heard an old jazz saying something to the effect that "jazz is a young person's music that is better played by older people"

....Bells?....

Quote Originally Posted by dasein View Post
    And since spreading the gospel of Arthur Rhames is part of my schtick, here's a recording that should do the trick (wait for it):

I've never heard this guy before, but suddenly I'm a fan!!! What else can anyone tell me about him?

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Louis Stewart:

Hey thanks, that was great!

Like John McLaughlin he could play fast in an extended fashion. His fast brain enabled his fast fingers.

There are/were others who play/played fast, but only for spurts - or worse - like a parlor trick. But this guy "took a breath" only when he wanted to and it was based on expression, not a limited capability.

Arthur Rhames

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    I've never heard this guy before, but suddenly I'm a fan!!! What else can anyone tell me about him?
    Born and grew up in NYC. I understand he practiced incessantly. He played the hell out of sax and guitar. He passed away at a relatively young age from complications related to Acquired Immune Deficiency. Small amount of recorded material.

AKA

Mike Stern - Mr. P.C.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    Born and grew up in NYC. I understand he practiced incessantly. He played the hell out of sax and guitar. He passed away at a relatively young age from complications related to Acquired Immune Deficiency. Small amount of recorded material.

AKA
    That's outrageous! Look, I know there are a lot of unheralded great players, but c'mon, if you cant tell within a few bars that this guy is up there with the very, very best in his genre/sub genre, then what can I say...

And to think there are no decent recordings! Just unbelievable....

AKA
    He played piano, too. I went to high school with a guy who played bass with Rhames briefly in the early 80s. This guy was also a virtuoso on multiple instruments. They put on quite a show.

John

Well this is an oldie but a goody--John and Buckie--Honeysuckle Rose:

And McLaughlin playing Cherokee--the look on his face, like guys, I ain't even trying that hard, please keep up...

Also for a more modern shredder, Ben Monder is pretty incredible. Check out Hydra--can't find a link online, but one of my faves.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

Quote Originally Posted by DS71 View Post
    Benson can melt faces and still groove like no other.
    I don't even think anyone else is even close at combining these two to great effect , at least on Guitar .

And GB is really tasty with his notes especially on ballads

Stern is always great, but that guy comping behind him is blowing my mind!

AKA
    Any recordings where he actually plays to changes as opposed to vamps? I dig his muscular tone and approach and he side slips as well as I've heard, but before you'd say he could play with a McCoy or Brecker etc, I'd like to hear if he could do the more straight ahead thing...

"Shredding" born out of sheer groove - don't miss the chuckle at the beginning. You (try to) play whatever fits, isn't that what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    Any recordings where he actually plays to changes as opposed to vamps? I dig his muscular tone and approach and he side slips as well as I've heard, but before you'd say he could play with a McCoy or Brecker etc, I'd like to hear if he could do the more straight ahead thing...
    There's not a lot of him recorded, but there's some stuff on youtube of him playing changes, such as this.

As I said above, I knew a bassist who played with Rhames, saw some of their performances (IIRC, Rhames played only keys and sax), and also heard this bassist friend talk about Rhames's abilities. They were doing really out/free stuff so I couldn't say what they sounded like on standards, but those guys could play anything.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    There's not a lot of him recorded, but there's some stuff on youtube of him playing changes, such as this.

As I said above, I knew a bassist who played with Rhames, saw some of their performances (IIRC, Rhames played only keys and sax), and also heard this bassist friend talk about Rhames's abilities. They were doing really out/free stuff so I couldn't say what they sounded like on standards, but those guys could play anything.

John
    Cheers, but I was looking for his guitar playing on changes, this clip is him on sax presumably, and theres not a lot of observance of any changes going on, either!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
    "Shredding" born out of sheer groove - don't miss the chuckle at the beginning. You (try to) play whatever fits, isn't that what it's all about?

Wow, that's great.

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but that looks like an insanely high action. Seems it would be hard to play so fast set up like that, but I guess that's where the practice part comes in... :-/
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

Half note = 165

Matteo Mancuso

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy View Post
    Matteo Mancuso

That is impressive right hand technique! I can't say I've ever heard Jazz guitar played that way quite as well before.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed